Gas vs electric range - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-12-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Which would you consider safer? We've always had an electric range/stove, and that's all my family ever had when I was a child. We are buying our first home, and I'm considering possibly upgrading the range/stove. I'm wondering what others think about the safety of gas vs. electric. My ideas so far

Electric:

Pros

-No open flame

-No possibility of gas leak

-Controls usually at the back of the stove and out of reach of children

Cons

-Slow heating/cooling time means a lot of time for potential burns before/after actual cooking

-No clear visual indicator to a child that it is on/hot (I don't think the "surface heat" indicators are helpful at all for a toddler or preschooler)

Gas:

Pros

-Quick heating/cooling time

-Easier to see if it is off/on

Cons

-Open flame

-Possible gas leaks, especially if the child manages to turn on the gas but not ignite the burner

-Controls are often on the front and therefore accessible to small children (though I know child locks are available)

Other thoughts? Am I missing something? Has anyone else made safety a primary consideration when choosing a new stove/range, or did you mostly go with your personal preference and just implement safety measures accordingly?

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28**32***36***40** Oct 2014 it's a
#2 of 3 Old 05-12-2014, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Possible gas leaks, especially if the child manages to turn on the gas but not ignite the burner

With ours you have to push in and turn to access the gas and it then makes a clicking noise while trying to light so we can hear if any little hands happen to access it, which is pretty rare.

I am not sure if it is rational or not but I am definitely more afraid of burns with the electric ones than our gas. Maybe because they can visibly see the flame, whereas electric only changes color when very hot.

#3 of 3 Old 05-12-2014, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My gas stove has a safety feature that if the gas is on and it does not ignite within a certain amount of time the gas flow is turned off.  It then beeps at me and I have to go check the knobs and press a button to get it working again.  Between this and proper installation, I'm not worried about gas leaks.

When my kids were little I used knob guards and a stove guard as preventatives.  I had climbers, so I would have needed the knob covers no matter where the knobs were located.  And I never walked out of the kitchen with the stove on.  I did like that the burners cooled off really fast, so I didn't have to babysit the stove while it cooled down.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page