Need seat advice: two toddlers, one 6 y.o. - Mothering Forums
Welcome, KnittingTigers. You last visited: Yesterday at 10:36 AM Your Notifications: 12

Forum Jump: 
#1 of 3 Old 05-23-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
KnittingTigers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

Can you help me think through seats in my Honda Accord?

I have twins who are 13 months, and a daughter who is five and will turn 6 this summer. Currently my DD5 is harnessed FFing in a Radian in the center position, and the twins are in Britax B-Safe infant seats on either side. The twins will outgrow their infant seats sometime this summer (though I'm hoping they'll last past our July vacation so that we don't have to travel with big seats...).

My plan has been to buy two more Radians and RF the twins while keeping DD5 in her Radian, FFing. However, I'm wondering if it's reasonable to consider putting her in a booster (and then just needing to buy one new Radian), for two reasons:

1. I want to put her in the passenger side position so that she doesn't have to climb out through the front seat to enter and exit the car, and I'd like her to be able to easily buckle and unbuckle herself. This would make my life WAY easier in terms of drop off line at school, etc. She can *sometimes* get her Radian unbuckled by herself, but sometimes she needs help.

2. Radians are expensive, yo! Obviously my kids' safety is the first priority, but with two in daycare and one in camp all summer, money is tight around here...

A couple more considerations: DD5 is insanely tall (99%), so I'm also hesitant to buy an extra Radian and then have her outgrow the one she's in relatively quickly. She's reasonably mature and responsible (for an almost 6 year old...), so I'm not worried about her messing with the belt. She has fallen asleep in her seat on road trips, etc., but doesn't on a regular basis. I've put her in boosters when we're traveling and feel okay about it. Just not sure if it's reasonable to do it for everyday use yet.

Thoughts?

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

KnittingTigers is online now Report Post  
#2 of 3 Old 05-24-2014, 08:32 PM
DahliaRW

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Most 6yos are mature enough for booster and they are a perfectly safe option at that point.  The only issue you might have is whether or not she can reach the buckle stalk with a radian installed next to her booster.  It also might be difficult to get 2 rfing radians side by side, since the top part is wider.  So it is possible she'll need to stay in the middle.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
DahliaRW is offline Report Post  
#3 of 3 Unread Today, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
KnittingTigers

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update, in case anyone is interested: We did manage to fit two rear-facing Radians side by side, so I've got one toddler RFing on the driver's side, and one in the middle. The booster actually became the more challenging part - it was hard to find anything that fit snugly next to the Radian, and allowed by 6 year old to buckle and unbuckle herself. However, against all odds we managed to fit a Britax Frontier (formerly in Grandma's car) next to the Radian, so DD6 is staying harnessed, and at this point, can buckle herself in and out of the Frontier to make drop-off line easier. I honestly can't believe the Frontier fit there (that thing is such a beast!), and it certainly wouldn't if the Radian were forward facing, but we have plenty of time before we need to worry about that. For now, I'm thrilled that we made it work with only one new seat purchase (the Radian) and that everyone is nice and safe and harnessed.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

KnittingTigers is online now Report Post  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Cut
Copy
Paste
Undo
Redo

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Bold
Italic
Underline
Align Left
Align Center
Align Right
Ordered List
Unordered List
Decrease Indent
Increase Indent
Insert Email Link
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
Wrap [CODE] tags around selected text
Wrap [HTML] tags around selected text
Wrap [PHP] tags around selected text
Wrap [MENTION] tags around selected text
Wrap [SPOILER] tags around selected text
Smilies [More]
:x :grin: :wink: :crying: >:D :laugh: :serious: :eek: 0:) :frown: :nerd: :smile: :) :thumb :love
Attach Files
Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip
(0)
(0)
(0)
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

User Tag List