• 1 Post By sierramtngirl
  • 1 Post By DahliaRW
  • 1 Post By chickabiddy

#1 of 9 Old 07-08-2014, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Convertible Carseat for Toddler in Front of Pickup, grr

Rather angry this morning at the discovery that my FIL purchased a 2 door Silverado (no back seat) and he watches my DD, 2.5 every day and does take her places.

What is the appropriate seating arrangement for a pick up if he does have to have her in there? I know he needs to turn the airbags off. She's 36", prob 35lbs (maybe more??) and so I'm assuming she will also need to have the seat belt holding the seat in and not just the anchors. I'm drawing a blank as to his carseat brand, might be a saftey 1st or similar, but it's a convertible seat.

Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 07-08-2014, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post
Rather angry this morning at the discovery that my FIL purchased a 2 door Silverado (no back seat) and he watches my DD, 2.5 every day and does take her places.

What is the appropriate seating arrangement for a pick up if he does have to have her in there? I know he needs to turn the airbags off. She's 36", prob 35lbs (maybe more??) and so I'm assuming she will also need to have the seat belt holding the seat in and not just the anchors. I'm drawing a blank as to his carseat brand, might be a saftey 1st or similar, but it's a convertible seat.

Thanks!
Yes, airbag off. And I doubt there are anchors, so seatbelt install. My biggest concern would be the lack of an upper tether anchor.
sassyfirechick likes this.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 9 Old 07-08-2014, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Maybe check with the careseat lady website?
#4 of 9 Old 07-08-2014, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
A 35# child can use LATCH in every vehicle.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#5 of 9 Old 07-08-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
A 35# child can use LATCH in every vehicle.
In a Chevy and most cars, the weight of the child seat + the child's weight cannot exceed 65lbs with a latch install. I don't know of any seats that weight 30lbs, so in all likelihood, yes, latch can be used.

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, and Saab say the child cannot be over 48lbs and use a latch install.

Ferrari, Infiniti, Izuzu, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus, Mazda, Nissan, Scion, Suzuki, Toyota, and Volvo have no limit stated and defer to what the car seat says for the latch weight limit.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#6 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
New limits have been published: http://cpsboard.org/cps/wp-content/u...ght-Limits.pdf

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#7 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I also was thinking about the top tether, and from what I've read so far most say to just tuck it behind the seat back to keep it out of the way. That's a good list chickabiddy, too bad doesn't show Subaru, that's what I've got and all this had me curious about latch limits in my own vehicle and I didn't see anything on my Forester manual unless I missed it somewhere. I'm really hoping it's a rare occasion she will have to ride in this truck as they do have a car and my MIL doesn't drive herself to work - FIL drops off and picks up so they've always made due with one vehicle. DH insisted that the airbags wouldn't not activate under 70lbs and I kept telling him there HAS to be a manual shut off especially in a newer vehicle. Hell, my father had a '95 Ford Ranger beater and that thing had an key lock to shut off the passenger airbag!

Thanks all!
#8 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually I think it was easier to shut them off on the older vehicles with the key rather then the new ones with the sensors.
#9 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 PM

I used to have a Subaru Outback. I don't know if it's changed in the last few years, but it used to be 60lbs total (child's weight plus seat weight). Newer Subarus might have a higher weight limit, I have no idea.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page