looking for the smallest convertible with side impact protection & 30 lb rear facing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
looking for the smallest convertible with side impact protection & 30 lb rear facing

I watch my friend's 11 month old who has outgrown her Britax chaperone. I have an SUV so getting a seat for my car is no problem, but my friend drives a small Subaru. These are the seats I like:

Britax Pavillion or Boulevard
Recaro Performance Ride

They both have at lest a 30 lb rear facing limit and both have side impact protection, BUT they are big. I don't think they will fit in her car. The Chaperone barely fits.

I like the smaller size of the Chicco Nextfit but it boggles my mind that this seat does not have side impact protection. Also it does not have the ability to be tethered in the rear facing position as the two seats above do.

Do you have any suggestions for my friend? I know she wants at least a 30 lb rear facing limit and side impact protection. I think she should have the ability to tether the seat rear facing as well.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmmie View Post
I watch my friend's 11 month old who has outgrown her Britax chaperone. I have an SUV so getting a seat for my car is no problem, but my friend drives a small Subaru. These are the seats I like:

Britax Pavillion or Boulevard
Recaro Performance Ride

They both have at lest a 30 lb rear facing limit and both have side impact protection, BUT they are big. I don't think they will fit in her car. The Chaperone barely fits.

I like the smaller size of the Chicco Nextfit but it boggles my mind that this seat does not have side impact protection. Also it does not have the ability to be tethered in the rear facing position as the two seats above do.

Do you have any suggestions for my friend? I know she wants at least a 30 lb rear facing limit and side impact protection. I think she should have the ability to tether the seat rear facing as well.

Thanks!
You could do a Diono WITH the angle adjuster: http://us.diono.com/car-seats

Or look at the Chicco NextFit.

For a child around a year old with good head control, the convertible seat can be installed more upright than 45 degrees (up to 30 degrees), which will help a lot with room front to back.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 08-08-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks. I guess I should have explained myself better. By smallest seat I meant height wise. The diono seats are narrow but very tall, so they won't work. Thanks for the information on the 30 degree angle for older babies. That may help.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmmie View Post
Thanks. I guess I should have explained myself better. By smallest seat I meant height wise. The diono seats are narrow but very tall, so they won't work. Thanks for the information on the 30 degree angle for older babies. That may help.
Room taken up front to back is not always dependent on the height of the shell. How it installs, install angle, and whther or not it's on a big base can make a huge difference. Both the seats I mentioned were mentioned as possible to use in smaller cars at more upright angles over at car-seat.org. Find a store that lets you try them out, you might be surprised.

The other to look at with a shorter shell is the graco myride. But it sits up on a base, and IME, takes up as much room front to back as some of the taller shells. I did look over you need it in a subaru. The Diono installs fine with latch in a subaru, but can be hard rfing with a seatbelt.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 08-08-2014, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Have you seen the graco 4 ever? It sounds like it would meet most of your criteria. It's compact front to back. It has a high rfing limit (40lbs). I'm not sure how tall the child is but the recaros and britaxs aren't the best for children who are on the taller side because they are outgrown by height quickly. We have a radian and like it but the 4ever wasn't out when we bought ours
Old 08-10-2014, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Rear-facing is the best side impact protection there is, so whatever seat she will use rear-facing the longest is the seat with the most side impact protection.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not sure what you mean about the NextFit not having side impact protection? It goes to 40lbs rear-facing, and it fits in a lot of small cars rearfacing. I have one and have put it (RF) in the following cars: 99 Subaru Outback, 03 Honda Accord, 05 Subaru Impreza, 07 Infiniti g35x, 03 Ford E350 van.

It is a great seat, very easy/fast to install and switch between vehicles. Very compact front to back and has the second-highest RF slots available.

Also, given its short/compact shape, there really isn't a need to tether it rear-facing. Its so snug in there, it isn't going anywhere! :P
Good luck!

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)

Last edited by farmer; 08-11-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: forgot the part about the tether

User Tag List