Need car seat suggestions, please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old Today, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Need car seat suggestions, please

I need to replace car seats due to expiration.

My 4 year old is still rear-facing in his Marathon which is now expired. He's nearly 37 lbs and I'm not sure that keeping him rear-facing is a priority.

So I could get him a seat that harnesses for a while longer and converts to a high back booster. Britax Pioneer is along the lines of what I'm thinking but haven't looked at a ton of options.

My 8.5 year old son is in a now-expired Britax Regent (or whatever the more recent Husky-Regent seat is called.) He's 70 lbs and on the tall side. He's occasionally ridden in a backless booster and has a very hard time getting it buckled and complains about how it presses on his belly and bothers his shoulder, so something with a high back that has a harness up until a late age and then coverts to a high back booster sounds appropriate. I'm not a fan of backless boosters, if possible.

The tricky part is that I'm aware of the nasty flame retardant chemicals in car seats (and everything else.)
A brand lower in these chemicals (and using the least toxic chemicals) is important to me.
Britax is a possibility and though Clek seems to be the leader here, they're outrageously expensive.

My kids also seem to be bothered by seats that push their heads forward. The Marathon, for instance, is completely flat all the way up so Ds's head lays back comfortably.
We tried a Britax harness-to-booster seat once and my older Ds hated how much his head was pushed forward. I can relate - I don't like that feeling either.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old Today, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I had posted a similar question a while back:
Radian or Clek Foonf? RF three yr. old.
I did purchase the Clek but after living with it for a while, rear as well as front facing, realized it was better suited to a younger toddler. Although it is very well made (heavy!) and so sturdy, I wouldn't purchase it again. My main reason was that my son didn't have much growing room left and the crotch was very right, too tight. He wasn't in diapers, and was/is very lean, slender with small hips. I purchased a Britax Frontier and it fits him much better. He is now front facing and weighs 38 pounds and is 42.5 inches tall.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page