New Recaro seats - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, this makes me specially glad to have gotten my blvd for such a steal off albeebaby so it was only $250 and no tax or shipping (tho my mosaic fabric IS the cutest!) but I think we'll have to think about a signo (also on sale at albee at some point I hope!) when we get a 2nd for dh's car... but man, right now it's hard to get anyone else in my car-- that one inch would do me in. I hope we could set it up so that shotgun had more leg room! (we have it in the center but the tether required us to move up the seat). You know, the tech said the rf thether was like patented by britax-- will the signo have a rf tether??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2007, 01:17 PM

I'm also wondering about rearfacing tethering. Does anyone know?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

There is a *rumor* that the Signo can be RF tethered but no confirmation yet.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ahh, I've been waiting for word on the Recaro seats! (Though obviously not too anxiously else I'd have found this earlier! ) I'm very eager to see one of these in person! I know the Right Start carries Recaro, so I'll have to see if they're going to have these. It is always so hard when a new seat comes out, 'cause they almost never have them right away! I hound them forever until they do, or I find it elsewhere.

My 5yo is in a Marathon now but has nearly outgrown it (by height, my skinny and tall little man!). So we're looking at either the Regent (likely) or Radian80 for him. And the 2.5yo is still RFing in a Roundabout, but will outgrow it RFing quite soon. He'll most likely still fit FFing for a while - perhaps until we can manage to replace the Marathon and move DS2 to it. So, I guess that sounds like (with new baby going into a Companion, which lasted DS1 18 months!) we may not NEED the Recaro infant seats. But, um, maybe we need one for my mom's car? Right? Or perhaps when baby3 catches up to DS2 and needs a higher weight seat, too. At least by then we'll surely know something more about them!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
My 5yo is in a Marathon now but has nearly outgrown it (by height, my skinny and tall little man!). So we're looking at either the Regent (likely) or Radian80 for him. And the 2.5yo is still RFing in a Roundabout, but will outgrow it RFing quite soon. He'll most likely still fit FFing for a while - perhaps until we can manage to replace the Marathon and move DS2 to it. So, I guess that sounds like (with new baby going into a Companion, which lasted DS1 18 months!) we may not NEED the Recaro infant seats. But, um, maybe we need one for my mom's car? Right? Or perhaps when baby3 catches up to DS2 and needs a higher weight seat, too. At least by then we'll surely know something more about them!
USABaby carries them as well

For your 5yr old I'd go with the regent. It will still have the highest strap slots on the market. The radian 80 has the same strap slots as the 65.

-Angela
Old 07-02-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
USABaby carries them as well

For your 5yr old I'd go with the regent. It will still have the highest strap slots on the market. The radian 80 has the same strap slots as the 65.

-Angela
I forget we have such a place here! I've seen it but will have to figure out where the closest one is. Thanks for the tip!

The Regent is definitely the one for DS, I think. The only downside is lack of air travel compatibility, BUT we haven't travelled by air in 2 years and have no current plans. So why am I worried about it? Of course, I don't know that I can tolerate their current covers, either! But, hey, the lengths we'll go to to keep our kids safe!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
I forget we have such a place here! I've seen it but will have to figure out where the closest one is. Thanks for the tip!
There are 2 now - one on 1960, kind of near 45 and one on Westheimer near Gessner.

I have been very pleased with them. Before dd was born I got a companion there for only $150 They wanted to get rid of the last two they had because they weren't moving...

-Angela
Old 07-02-2007, 10:09 AM

Darn! I was so excited when I first looked at the Young Sport because it's 5-pt. and goes to 80 lbs, like the Husky/Regent but has the headwings! I have a Husky for ds (he's 6.5 and 50 lbs.) and my one big gripe is that if he falls asleep when we're traveling, his head falls way too far to the side and sometimes even forward.

Unfortunately, the Young Sport only harnesses to 40 lbs. Why is that? Is there some reason that no one puts the headwings on 5 pt. seats for older children?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

The new recaros have the headwings.... :

-Angela
Old 07-02-2007, 02:00 PM

Are they 5-pt. harnessed to 80 lbs.? I only saw the belt-positioning boosters with headwings and the Young Sport that harnesses only to 40 lbs. I hope I'm missing something!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
Are they 5-pt. harnessed to 80 lbs.? I only saw the belt-positioning boosters with headwings and the Young Sport that harnesses only to 40 lbs. I hope I'm missing something!
5pt harness to 70lbs.
Link is in the first post:

http://www.recaro.com/index.php?id=1916&region=3&L=2

Convertibles- como and signo

-Angela
Old 07-02-2007, 04:24 PM

Oh, wow. And it says max height is 59"/60" (Como/Signo). I'm feeling a little skeptical that it would actually go that high because the seat back doesn't look much higher than the Wizard that ds grew out of (height-wise) at about 45". But it's certainly worth checking out!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

My understanding is that the strap heights are higher than the big convertible britaxes (marathon, decathalon, boulevard) but not as high as the regent.

-Angela
Old 07-02-2007, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
My understanding is that the strap heights are higher than the big convertible britaxes (marathon, decathalon, boulevard) but not as high as the regent.

-Angela
Marathon/cousins have 17"-17.5" top strap slots (depending on how they are measured).

Radians (both 65 and 80) have 18" top strap slots and allow use with shoulders over strap slots under certain conditions.

Recaro Como/Signo will have 19" top strap slots.

Regent has 20" top strap slots.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:24 PM

I'm drooling too! I want a Signo for my son.

:
Old 07-05-2007, 06:30 PM

OK guys. As soon as anyone hears about the rf tether will you let us know?!?! I will order one as soon as I know!

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
Old 07-05-2007, 06:45 PM

I read on www.car-seat.org that they will both tether RF. I'm totally selling DS's Boulevard and buying a Sand Signo- he'll get 2 more lbs rear facing, and golly, they're cool looking seats :

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:43 PM

Just wanted to let everybody know that they're $259.99 at http://www.elitecarseats.com/Recaro-Signo.pro instead of the $289 that they are at stroll & go

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
Old 07-06-2007, 12:48 PM

Now all they need to do is up the expiration to 8 years like Radian did, and these would be PERFECT birth-8 yrs old seats!!!

CPST
Old 07-06-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
Now all they need to do is up the expiration to 8 years like Radian did, and these would be PERFECT birth-8 yrs old seats!!!
Yeah, does anybody know about that? I asked earlier in the thread but never got an answer. What is the expiration on these?

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
Old 07-07-2007, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
They are saying the third week of Sep for the Signo now. No way DD2 is lasting in her Companion that long, she just had a massive growing spell and it's getting tight. Looks like I might be looking at getting a cheap seat until the Recaro's are out. :

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:58 PM

I emailed Recaro yesterday and got a reply- both the Signo and Como will definately have tethers for rear facing

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
I emailed Recaro yesterday and got a reply- both the Signo and Como will definately have tethers for rear facing
WOOOT!

Now if only my car were big enough to fit three Signos! LOL.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
They are saying the third week of Sep for the Signo now. No way DD2 is lasting in her Companion that long, she just had a massive growing spell and it's getting tight. Looks like I might be looking at getting a cheap seat until the Recaro's are out. :
Ugh....I'm in the same situation. DS is almost grown out of his roundabout and I'm totally sold on the Signo. If he can just make it until they come out....
Old 07-13-2007, 10:27 PM

I can longer recommend the Cosco Scenera to anyone, after reading this article published in the Chicago Tribune. I will never own another Dorel (or Evenflo) product, and will certainly never trust these companies with the lives of my children. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...5.story?page=1

Old 07-13-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Learning View Post
Ugh....I'm in the same situation. DS is almost grown out of his roundabout and I'm totally sold on the Signo. If he can just make it until they come out....
Yup, that'd be me. I never thought DS would outgrow the RA rearfacing before he hit 2. : I really don't wanna have to flip him FF until it comes out.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:00 PM

I'm confused, (so whats new...) It is my understanding that when a carseat says it goes up to 80 lbs that means 5pt up to a certian weight (40lbs, depending on manufacture) and after that cannot be used as a 5pt, but as a seatbelt booster?

I have two sons, one who will be three in 6 weeks, he is about 35lbs and 38" tall, and a 5 month old who is about 14 lbs. We have the older one in a Cosco Touriva (which we are replacing asap) and the baby in an evenflow infant. So we are looking for a new seat for the older one asap, and to the future for when the little one outgrows his infant seat.

Any recomendations? My head is spinning :
Old 07-19-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medaroge View Post
I'm confused, (so whats new...) It is my understanding that when a carseat says it goes up to 80 lbs that means 5pt up to a certian weight (40lbs, depending on manufacture) and after that cannot be used as a 5pt, but as a seatbelt booster?

I have two sons, one who will be three in 6 weeks, he is about 35lbs and 38" tall, and a 5 month old who is about 14 lbs. We have the older one in a Cosco Touriva (which we are replacing asap) and the baby in an evenflow infant. So we are looking for a new seat for the older one asap, and to the future for when the little one outgrows his infant seat.

Any recomendations? My head is spinning :
You're right that that's what a lot of seats mean - some are labeled rather deceptively and aren't clear on just how long you can keep your child harnessed. Many parents assume that a seat that's good till "100lbs" means harnessed that long - but they don't. These types of seats that can harness and later turn into a belt positioning booster are "combination seats." They generally have an obvious shoulder guide for the seatbelt.

There are, however, several seats on the market (and more all the time) that DO harness past 40lbs. (Every harnessed seat goes up to AT LEAST 40lbs.) These are generally NOT "combination seats" - that is, they harness up to a certain weight (55-80lbs) and then the seat is completely outgrown. Each seat should have labeling that spells out the exact weight limits on the seat. If it says "forward facing to 80 pounds" then it really means that you can use the harness that long. A combination seat would say something along the lines of "forward facing to 40 pounds; booster from 30-80 pounds."

Hope that helps some!

Old 07-27-2007, 05:28 PM

Anyone else pre-ordered yet? I thought they were going to be cheaper than Britax, but I am seeing $289 now. That's not much cheaper! The BLVD doesn't install well in our car, so I am hoping that this will install better. Anyone found it cheaper somewhere? Now if I could only decide color...

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
Old 07-27-2007, 05:38 PM

Recaro is doing a mandatory price thingy like Britax- all retailers have to sell for the same price. I spoke with one of the retailers and she passed the info along. Anyone caught selling below the agreed upon price can loose their contract w/Recaro. So you probably won't find them cheaper, and I don't know if they will allow discount coupons to be used, either (Britax doesn't let their retailers do it) That blows

And someone on the carseat board supposidly spoke with a Recaro customer service rep and was told that Recaro seats expire in 5 years, since they have a plastic shell. I'm thinking this is just the new convertibles, because the boosters have a steel reinforced frame, but I'm not sure about that. $300 is a lot for a seat w/life span of 5 years, IMO. OTOH, if it's an awesome seat with really good safety features, I'd buy it just for the added safety of the extended RF limit and SIP.

User Tag List