New Recaro seats - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 166 Old 08-31-2007, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
I'll post a review soon- I sold my Boulevard and ordered the Como. I'm going to call Recaro on the bracing issue either today or Monday and will let you all know what I find out.
Thanks! I'll be interested to hear.

-Angela
#122 of 166 Old 09-03-2007, 12:14 PM

I got my new como in the mail this saturday! It is so nice, my hubby will install it this weds.
#123 of 166 Old 09-03-2007, 08:40 PM

never mind, found my answer

Blessed mama of four
::
#124 of 166 Old 09-06-2007, 10:56 AM

I spoke w/a CSR at Recaro yesterday who told me that you can tether the Como RF- as long as you have a tether anchor in your vehicle; I asked her if you can use a spot on the floor that is part of the vehicle frame or that is bolted to the vehicle frame (like Britax allows), and she said yes, that's fine. She said that they do not provide "that extra strap" like Britax does (the tether extender w/D Ring, I'm assuming) because they don't think it's safe. But I have NO idea if she's saying that because a tether extender was crash tested and failed, or just because. SHe is going to talk with the CR engineer re: the maximum RF height and get back to me this afternoon.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#125 of 166 Old 09-06-2007, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I spoke w/a CSR at Recaro yesterday who told me that you can tether the Como RF- as long as you have a tether anchor in your vehicle; I asked her if you can use a spot on the floor that is part of the vehicle frame or that is bolted to the vehicle frame (like Britax allows), and she said yes, that's fine. She said that they do not provide "that extra strap" like Britax does (the tether extender w/D Ring, I'm assuming) because they don't think it's safe. But I have NO idea if she's saying that because a tether extender was crash tested and failed, or just because. SHe is going to talk with the CR engineer re: the maximum RF height and get back to me this afternoon.
HARUMPH. Most cars do not have a tether spot on the floor that would work. I suppose in a minivan you could use the tether spot on a seat in front- if another seat weren't already using it.

Sounds like a cop-out to me. And I would have bought their seat the day it came out if it really would RF tether.

-Angela
#126 of 166 Old 09-08-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
HARUMPH. Most cars do not have a tether spot on the floor that would work. I suppose in a minivan you could use the tether spot on a seat in front- if another seat weren't already using it.

Sounds like a cop-out to me. And I would have bought their seat the day it came out if it really would RF tether.

-Angela

Well..the current update, from an actual engineer at Recaro, is that the recaro convertibles do NOT RF tether. NOT at all. NO. NYET.
And actually, hearing some of the explanation why, coupled with some of my own previous doubts about the wisdom of RF tethering, I am actually not upset at all. I am not convinced RF tethering is a good idea, frankly.
anyway...there is still a lot of doubt, and conflicting information, but this issue seems to be set in stone......NO RF tethering.

CPST
#127 of 166 Old 09-08-2007, 06:11 PM

The engineer/Program Manager also told me that the head bolsters HAVE to be used when the child is in the bottom 2 harness slots; period. My 2.5yo is in the 2nd to bottom harness straps and HATES the head bolsters- they ride low on the sides of his face when installed correctly and squish his head. I"m debating whether to keep or return the seat. The engineer also told me that 34" is the MAXIMUM height for rear facing, period. They will not honor a warranty for the seat if it's used RF for a child taller than 34" (which is ridiculous- since all kids have different torso/leg lengths). I will have to eat the shipping back to the retailer though It's an AWESOME seat, though. Very well made, the deep sides make me feel like DS is protected better than in the Britax convertibles- they're SO deep and lined w/EPS foam. The lock offs are great (I like them better than the new Britax ones), as well as the cover material. I wish my DS was either shorter, or had a smaller head, or was ready to FF, then the seat would be perfect.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#128 of 166 Old 09-08-2007, 07:24 PM

Sounds to me like this is a really great FF seat. But while DS is RFing I'd rather have him in a Britax. I really hate the 34" rule.

The head pillows really do look uncomfy.

To me the RFing tether is as much for helping with the recline angle as it is for stability really.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#129 of 166 Old 09-08-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
To me the RFing tether is as much for helping with the recline angle as it is for stability really.
Karen, the seat is WAY too upright when installed RF, but I was able to get a really nice recline angle w/a pool noodle, and it's as solid as my Britax seats, too. Not one centimeter of movement. JIC you are considering the Como or Signo at all and are concerned w/the RF angle.

#130 of 166 Old 09-08-2007, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
Well..the current update, from an actual engineer at Recaro, is that the recaro convertibles do NOT RF tether. NOT at all. NO. NYET.
And actually, hearing some of the explanation why, coupled with some of my own previous doubts about the wisdom of RF tethering, I am actually not upset at all. I am not convinced RF tethering is a good idea, frankly.
anyway...there is still a lot of doubt, and conflicting information, but this issue seems to be set in stone......NO RF tethering.
And the person who emailed me back from recaro said that they can rear tether as long as you have an official tether point on the floor. That was in an email this morning.

-Angela
#131 of 166 Old 09-08-2007, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The engineer/Program Manager also told me that the head bolsters HAVE to be used when the child is in the bottom 2 harness slots; period. My 2.5yo is in the 2nd to bottom harness straps and HATES the head bolsters- they ride low on the sides of his face when installed correctly and squish his head. I"m debating whether to keep or return the seat. The engineer also told me that 34" is the MAXIMUM height for rear facing, period. They will not honor a warranty for the seat if it's used RF for a child taller than 34" (which is ridiculous- since all kids have different torso/leg lengths). I will have to eat the shipping back to the retailer though It's an AWESOME seat, though. Very well made, the deep sides make me feel like DS is protected better than in the Britax convertibles- they're SO deep and lined w/EPS foam. The lock offs are great (I like them better than the new Britax ones), as well as the cover material. I wish my DS was either shorter, or had a smaller head, or was ready to FF, then the seat would be perfect.

Wow. Another suck-age point. Since dd is 36 or 37 inches and still happily RF in her boulevard.

-Angela
#132 of 166 Old 09-08-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
Yeah that ^

From the info I've been reading over the past few months I'm not entirely convinced about RF tethering myself.
I'm no longer in a hurry to switch DS2 from the bucket to his roundabout.

Quote:
And the person who emailed me back from recaro said that they can rear tether as long as you have an official tether point on the floor. That was in an email this morning.

-Angela
Gayle? She hasn't been memo'd properly

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#133 of 166 Old 09-08-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
They seriously need to take Gayle's email privileges (and phone answering privileges, too) away until they can bring her up to speed. :

#134 of 166 Old 09-08-2007, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Oh great.... sigh. Not having so much faith in the company right now...

-Angela
#135 of 166 Old 09-08-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Oh great.... sigh. Not having so much faith in the company right now...

-Angela
EVERY time a new seat is released there are these kinds of issues. EVERY time. Recaro has a wicked awesome rep. They will make the seats the best they can. I knew from the get go that I wouldn't be buying one of these in the first few months. Just like I don't buy a car in it's first year of production. Kinks just need to be worked out.

~laura
#136 of 166 Old 09-08-2007, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

That makes sense... I just hope she'll pass along my information... I'm quite disappointed there's no rear tether. Personally I feel that it's very important.

-Angela
#137 of 166 Old 09-13-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
From the info I've been reading over the past few months I'm not entirely convinced about RF tethering myself.
I'm no longer in a hurry to switch DS2 from the bucket to his roundabout.

Ok, so what's the deal with RF tether?
#138 of 166 Old 09-13-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
It's always something huh.

~laura
#139 of 166 Old 09-13-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
The deal is that is helps if done correctly, but there is no standardization for it. There were a couple of crash tests where a RFing tethered seat actually did worse than when it was not tethered. IMO, if it is done correctly and prevents recoil it can be very beneficial, however if it is not connected at a good point it can be counterproductive.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#140 of 166 Old 09-13-2007, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Since it hasn't been mentioned on this thread- ANOTHER problem with these seats- they claim a max height of 34 in (I think?) for RF. Period. Ears/straps don't matter. So for US, we would have already had to turn dd around. She's 30lbs and at least 37 inches. Still happily and safely RF in her boulevard.

I am hoping that a year or so down the line, they fix these problems. But until then we will stick with Britax.

-Angela
#141 of 166 Old 09-13-2007, 12:50 PM

I just got a reply from the company I'm purchasing my Signo from. They said it will still be 2-3 weeks away from delivery. FYI
#142 of 166 Old 09-13-2007, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snitker79 View Post
I just got a reply from the company I'm purchasing my Signo from. They said it will still be 2-3 weeks away from delivery. FYI
Yeah, the email I got from Gayle said first two weeks of October.

-Angela
#143 of 166 Old 09-13-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Since it hasn't been mentioned on this thread- ANOTHER problem with these seats- they claim a max height of 34 in (I think?) for RF. Period. Ears/straps don't matter. So for US, we would have already had to turn dd around. She's 30lbs and at least 37 inches. Still happily and safely RF in her boulevard.

I am hoping that a year or so down the line, they fix these problems. But until then we will stick with Britax.
Yep. I've heard from 2 sources (a retailer who spoke w/the CEO of Recaro and the Program Manager/engineer in charge of the Como/Signo project) that the 34" RF limit is non-negotiable, even though a taller child may fit just fine in the seat with plenty of headroom (like my 2.5yo DS who is 33.5" tall- he's got 5" or more until his head hits the top of the shell). They are saying that the seat was tested w/a 34" dummy, and they can't recommend or endorse a highter RF height than that. Problem is, every tech that I've spoken with has said that there is NO such thing as a 34" dummy- it's a 37" dummy that all the manuf. have to use. I'm really uneasy about the answers I'm getting from Recaro at this point. That and the mandatory/recommended/who knows head bolsters in the bottom 2 slots did it for us. I returned the Como and bought another Boulevard instead. The engineer at Recaro told me that the same RF height is going to apply to the Signo, but that the actual headroom is a bit more, since the headrest extends above the top of the seat shell. So who knows?

#144 of 166 Old 09-13-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:

-Angela

Yikes! Ds is 39 inches and only weighs 29lbs. I'm happy to keep him RF as long as possible. I guess that wouldn't be possible with the Recaro.
#145 of 166 Old 09-13-2007, 11:40 PM

So what's the big deal? There's plenty of head room left, so it's not like there's a safety issue there and the techs are saying there isn't a 34" dummy. Obviously people (techs, manufactureres, retailers) aren't on the same page and that's a problem in and of itself.

Now I don't have any experience with a britax and I'm awaiting my Signo, so I dont have anything to compare. And I'm still twisting my husbands arm about not putting our 17mo dd in her "infant seat" and keeping her rear facing for as long as possible, so I know there will have to be something seriously wrong with the Recaro Signo for us to be compelled to send it back and go with a britax.
#146 of 166 Old 09-13-2007, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah... glad I didn't preorder. These seats are no great deal afterall.

I wonder what % of kids hit 35lbs before 34 inches?

-Angela
#147 of 166 Old 09-14-2007, 01:39 AM

The information on thiese new seats is making me : - Recaro's website claims that the Signo will fit a child up to 60 inches tall and 70 lbs, while the Britax site says the Regent fits chidren to 53 inches and 80 pounds (yes, I know height is only a guideline, unlike weight, but I have a tall, long-torsoed child, so height is actually more important for me). BUT, according to posters on the car-seat.org forums, the top slots on the Signo are 20 inches, vs. 21 inches for the Regent, in which case the Regent would work better for a longer torso than the Signo. : Anybody know for certain which seat has the highest slots? I'm trying to figure out whether to get a Regent or not before the sale ends on Saturday! Thanks.
#148 of 166 Old 09-14-2007, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

The regent has the highest slots on the market at 21 inches. The recaro slots are lower.

-Angela
#149 of 166 Old 09-14-2007, 09:32 AM

Right. I would choose the Signo/Como if kiddo is not yet 35# (because RF is just sooooo much safer regardless of age, so long as they still fit the weight/height limits) -- I'd choose the Regent only if kiddo absolutely could not ride RF anymore. Of course, the ultimate dealbreaker is whichever seat will be used correctly 100% of the time
#150 of 166 Old 09-14-2007, 09:41 AM

Here's 2 pictures of my 38", 4.5yo in the 3rd from the top slots of the Como (I will measure her torso when she wakes up) http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/bal.../lexicomo2.jpg
http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/bal.../lexicomo1.jpg

And here's a pic of her in the Regent: http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/bal...lexiregent.jpg

She's in the 3rd from the tops slots in the Regent with a TON of growing room. She really didn't have much more than a couple of inches, if that, in the Como before her head reaches the shell top- the seat fit her really well right now, but I want her harnessed a long time (she's only 30lbs).

Pic of my 2.5yo DS, FF in the Como (he's 33.5" tall, torso measurement to follow-he's happily watching Dora right now and I'm not giving that up to measure him ) http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/bal...ustincomo2.jpg

I'll take a pic of him in the Regent later if anyone wants that comparison. His BV should be here later today (I hope) and I'll take pics of him in that to compare to the growing room in the Como if that will help anyone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page