Pictures of your children on the internet? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 08-08-2007, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
I have heard stories of parents who had their kid's photos and/or names posted (on a blog, used as a model for an ebay clothing sale, etc). The person would buy something from them on ebay, for example, thus getting their address...then come kidnap the kid.
Yes, this stuff is real. Yes, it's FREAKY!!!
Where did you hear about this? It sounds like one of those urban legend stories that get emailed around. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#32 of 38 Old 08-08-2007, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't mind having my kids pictures online, but I'm VERY careful about where I post them. Right now, I have pics of my kiddos on my myspace account, but my profile is set to private so no one but my friends can view them.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#33 of 38 Old 08-09-2007, 09:02 AM

I've only posted their cousins pictured with them, and only once. I hesitated before I did it, but I still did it. My sister in law hasn't said anything, but then again I think she's changed her email address. But from now on, I'm not going to post them without asking first. I'm fairly new to the internet, just coming out of my shell so to speak. It seems like everyone I know has been on email and disscussion forums and I'm the last to join in. So, when I hesitated I thought, "maybe I'm too old fashioned. Kids now adays..." Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing pictures of other people's kids on my friend's blogs.

mdcblog5.gif  Mama's Projects  This is my blog (mostly sewing, some cooking and gardening occasionally).
The link doesn't seem to be keeping, so here's the web address.  http://mommasewingprojects.blogspot.com/
#34 of 38 Old 08-09-2007, 07:02 PM

Nope, i think i never will post my kid's pictures, and posthing the names well, um, that's another issue.
#35 of 38 Old 08-14-2007, 01:33 AM

We blog and post pics of our family online. We have people all over the US and its a nice way for them to feel closer. My mom was "going through withdraw" a couple weeks ago because we hadn't uploaded new pics.

We host a web site. We have it blocked from all searches. We also have a stat counter thing. We can see the IP's of the people that have accessed our page and where they are in the US and all sorts of info...I bairly understand it all but DH does and thats all that counts! DH is a computer programer and he feels safe so I trust him completely!

When I have extra kids in the photo with my own I try to ask if it's ok and give them the site in case they want to get the pic.

Colleen, momma to Martha 5/23/06 :Ruth 11/1/08
#36 of 38 Old 08-14-2007, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No. My children's real names and pictures have never appeared on the internet. At their school, I sign a special form indicating I do not wish their pictures posted.

My live journal calls all of us by "code names". And no pictures other than me and hubby appear there.
#37 of 38 Old 08-14-2007, 10:37 PM

I'm totally in the minority also! At first I was even uncomfortable sending out dd's pic in emails, but have kinda become agreeable to that since our family is spread out. I do not feel comfortable placing our photos anywhere where they can publically be viewed. I had a fit when I found out that my "friend" had posted my dd's photo in her My Space profile as here main picture! It was a picture that had been taken of that girl holding dd at a baby shower. It didn't have dd's name, but i was shpcked that it was on there-thankfully she removed it after not too long. It is definatly inappropriate to post a photo of someone else or their children without permission.

::
#38 of 38 Old 08-15-2007, 02:11 AM

I don't get the paranoidI guess, because your child will be seen by people at the grocery store as well, or clothing store, or mall, people at school, teachers (whom you cant always trust). I mean. If you have your family picture taken at some photo place, who knows who the photographer is, they might have copies of your child laying at home. The dr, he knows everything about your child, can you always trust a dr? Can you always trust the photographer at the store? Can you trust the priest at the church? Or the neighbor next door?

Just saying....

Sure be cautious, don't throw out where you live, and full names, but your child is going to be seen by strangers, online or not.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page