Flying with Baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-29-2007, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read the other thread about this and it got me thinking. We will be flying (2 hour flight) when ds is 4 months old and I was planning to put him on my lap in a sling. Now I'm wondering how safe this really is? We have a Boulevard, so it would be a bit difficult to bring it. Has anyone brought a convertible seat on a plane? Am I not allowed to strap him to me (say in an Ergo) during take off and landing? But I am allowed to wear him during cruising? I know there is no way he will sit in his carseat the whole way without screaming. It seems safe to me to wear him, but I don't like the idea of not being allowed to wear him during take off and landing.
#2 of 13 Old 07-29-2007, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
K, so I'll start off by saying that children should be restrained on flights. The Blvd should install easily, it would need to go in a window seat. There are various ways to lug it around, you could bring a stroller for it, get a wheeled car seat bag for it, there are some car seat bags that you can wear... You are not allow to wear any sort of baby carrier during take off or landing, they only thing that you could use is a FAA approved harness on the baby that then ties them to do, but they are worthless. You can use a carrier once the plane is cruising.

Here is where I done my flame proof suit, I know all this, but I don't strap my children into a car seat all the time while we are flying. I have car seat haters as well,(well DD1 is old enough to tolerate it now, but not DD2) a 20 minute car ride is pure torture, a flight with them in their car seat the entire flight just isn't going to happen unless she is screaming the entire time. I bring the car seats, install them, and use them for take out and landing, and any rough air. :

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 13 Old 07-30-2007, 04:17 PM

I have traveled by air with my now 15mo dd about times so far. I have not taken a carseat with me on any of those trips because then we would have to purchase a seat for her. My thought was she is going to want to be held anyway and nursing during landing and take off is best for baby to help their ears to equalize and "pop", so how could I do that if she's strapped in.

Here is what we did, you can take what you want from it. I wore her in a ring sling so that I could have my hands fairly free to help bring on travel bags, lug suitcases ect. When it was time to take off or land, the flight attendents told me that she could not be "in" it because it was not approved. I had the sling around us and had her sitting on my lap until we began the decend/take off, then I snugged it up a bit and latched her on for nursing. The attendents are seated at that point and don't know. It also has a nice tail of fabric so I can use it as a blanket if she's sleeping or help to cover when nursing, they don't know she's wrapped in it and that it's around my body. My thought is that if the plane goes down, there's not much anyone can do regardless if she's strapped into a carseat or not. I figure she's attached to me and she's going to go where I do.

I know someone earlier was discussing the weight of one's body crushing the baby, but I feel more secure knowing she's with me. When she's 2, I have to purchase a seat for her, so then maybe I will relook at our flight situations and possibly take along a carseat, but I figure there is already so much to take when traveling with a baby, I might as well make it as easy as possible while I can. She also likes to be mobile and the last time we flew she was 12mo and I was so glad I had someone with me to help take her when I was getting frazzled when she was being impatient and squirmy. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision.
#4 of 13 Old 07-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Banned

No. It is NOT safe. In severe turbulence your child will become a projectile. If you have her strapped to you with a sling, you will crush her body. She will essentially be your airbag.

NO child should be on a plane without a proper child restraint system in his or her own seat.

And no, you cannot have the child in a sling on take off and landing.
#5 of 13 Old 07-30-2007, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

I did some research and I'm convinced to bring the carseat. I read somewhere (I forget where) that the AAP tried to make child safety seats mandatory on planes in 2001 but the FAA said no because more people would drive and thus more people would get in car accidents.

So now my question is: What do I do about his ears during take-off and landing? Should I try a pacifier? We don't normally use pacifiers. He'll be 4 months when we fly.
#6 of 13 Old 07-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Banned

Try a binky, or if you are opposed to them give him your finger to suckle
#7 of 13 Old 08-07-2007, 12:53 AM

I bring car seats for both of my kids. Its a pain, but safer and really easier on the flight. But I would also bring the sling in case I have to nurse. Before I started bringing the car seats on, I put dd in a sling during take off and landing and they never tried to stop me.
#8 of 13 Old 08-07-2007, 04:52 AM

Wear your child in the sling until you're on the plane, then put them in the carseat. Heck, you could even beg/borrow/buy a cheap little graco one if it might make it easier. However--and I'll probably be taken out and shot for saying this--I would suggest a paci just for the take off/landing, cuz once you have the seat in there they prolly won't let you take the kid out to nurse. Unless of course your lo proceeds to scream for the entire flight, which mine did, until I nursed him. But I was on an 8 hr flight, and ds was 9 months @ the time("what? no bottle? nothing?" they asked me, and by this time everyone on the plane was ready to kill me...). :

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#9 of 13 Old 08-07-2007, 11:57 AM

We've flown numerous times with our boulevard without problem. Dd has never had ear issues, we never took a pacifier...

-Angela
#10 of 13 Old 08-07-2007, 02:44 PM

Also, from my experience, you won't be able to carry dc in sling while going through security. They will actually make you take dc out of sling, and remove shoes just like an adult would have to (I am guessing that at 4 months old he will probably not have shoes on anyway, but just a heads-up).

It was a real pain every time we flew with dd and we had to remove her from the sling or front-pack carrier.

Oh, and we have ALWAYS used the car seat on the plane....so much safer and easier overall.
#11 of 13 Old 08-07-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benharperfan View Post
Also, from my experience, you won't be able to carry dc in sling while going through security. They will actually make you take dc out of sling
I just flew on the 12th of July, and DD was asleep in the MT and they never made me take her out. I did take off my shoes though. When I walked through the metal detector and it didn't beep (purposely wore the MT so the rings on the sling didn't set it off) he said I was good to go, helped me get the stroller off the x-ray machine, and wished me a good flight.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#12 of 13 Old 08-07-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
I just flew on the 12th of July, and DD was asleep in the MT and they never made me take her out. I did take off my shoes though. When I walked through the metal detector and it didn't beep (purposely wore the MT so the rings on the sling didn't set it off) he said I was good to go, helped me get the stroller off the x-ray machine, and wished me a good flight.
That's awesome! It has not been my experience, however, in any of the MANY airports I have flown in with my dd. Even when she was asleep, they told me I had to take her out of the sling and carry her separately. I am glad that it hasn't been that way for you, though
#13 of 13 Old 08-07-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snitker79 View Post
My thought is that if the plane goes down, there's not much anyone can do regardless if she's strapped into a carseat or not. I figure she's attached to me and she's going to go where I do.
I quoted you because that is a VERY common line of though regarding children and car seats on airplanes. People think that crashes cannot be survived so why bother? The fact is that while a plane falling out of the sky is most likely to be deadly, it is also very rare. What is NOT rare is severe turbulence that could wrench your child from your arms and fling her to the ceiling. Also VERY common are accidents during take-off, and landing, which most people DO survive, but would likely kill an unrestrained child/infant.

One thing to think about when traveling with a baby is what you're going to use as a car seat when you arrive at your destination... For many people it just makes sense to bring a car seat with them. However it is not the safest thing to check a car seat. They could easily get damaged by rough baggage handlers. Better is to gate check your car seat, but the safest option is to USE it. If you don't want to lug your Boulevard, or risk it getting damaged, I'd suggest buying a cheap Cosco Scenera (only $40 at evil mart, and sometimes in store at target) to bring with your. If you absolutely can't/wont buy a seat for your child, bring the seat with your anyway. Sometimes if there is room on the plane they will let you use a seat for free to secure your child. If there isn't any room just gate check the seat like you should anyway. However, it IS advisable to print out the FAA regulations that allow you to use an FAA approved car seat on a plane. Flight attendants have been know to not know the rules and harass parents wanting to use a car seat (well within their rights).
Here is one more link from a flight attendant regarding flying with children. It's very long, but has TON of helpful info, and many good links.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page