need advice for emergency trip (funeral) with carseat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-29-2007, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure it'll all work out fine, but I'm really nervous about traveling with dd's convertible carseat. We had a bear of a time installing it correctly in our car (Subaru wagon)...How the heck are we going to get it installed easily in our rental car?

The only other rental car experience for us was with the infant seat, which was super easy and quick to buckle in without the base.

Any tips or advice?

This trip will be stressful enough already; I don't need this extra anxiety about the bleeping car seat.

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#2 of 25 Old 07-29-2007, 10:53 PM

I have no idea or experience, but is it possible the rental car company provides carseats? You'd still have to check their installation, but you wouldn't have the pain of uninstalling and reinstalling your carseat from your own car.
#3 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 01:33 AM

What kind of carseat is it? I would not rent a seat. It might be a pain taking it along with you, but I'd feel much better having our own car seat.

CPST & mom

#4 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 01:54 AM

I would NEVER rent a carseat.

Why was yours difficult to install? Might it help that the rental car will be new and have LATCH?

-Angela
#5 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 03:04 AM

even though my carseat is a major pain to install, it never takes more that 5 minutes. what is making yours really difficult. be bery specific and maybe we can help

::
#6 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 09:03 AM

I thought all carseats were hard to install?? Like, I thought that was on purpose, to make us crazy. My Marathon is a pita.
#7 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 09:24 AM

I pretend that I WANT to "get comfortable with my installation" and that its good practice.

What kind of car seat is it? What is the hardest part?
#8 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 10:59 AM

Can you make an appt to those place where they check that your carseat is properly installed right after you pick up your rental?
#9 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 12:17 PM

Practice a little!

I've got the Marathon and Roundabout in my Subie and I swore I'd never move them... but I did for our vacation and other stuff- now it's easy.

I think the Subaru is hard b/c it's small... but you probably won't be in anything that small when you rent/travel. New cars, old cars, trucks, they've all been a little easier than my Subaru. Not that I don't love my car...

Always go for the center of the backseat, then you (hopefully) won't need the locking clip, look for the LATCH as Angela suggested and my last little trick is to twist the female end of the seatbelt once (before latching) to get a tight fit.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#10 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I would NEVER rent a carseat.

Why was yours difficult to install? Might it help that the rental car will be new and have LATCH?

-Angela
Yes! It just occurred to me that the rental car will most likely have LATCH. Do all new cars have it? We're probably renting a mini-van.

We have a Britax Boulevard. It was difficult to install in our Subaru (no LATCH) because we had trouble getting the seat belt tight enough. A very kind fireman (and father) came to our house and helped us install it! We use it in the middle seat in back, tethered too.

What do I need to know about LATCH for the rental car? The carsear just sort of clips in, right? Do you think a mini-van will have LATCH?

#11 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmeg View Post
Practice a little!

I've got the Marathon and Roundabout in my Subie and I swore I'd never move them... but I did for our vacation and other stuff- now it's easy.

I think the Subaru is hard b/c it's small... but you probably won't be in anything that small when you rent/travel. New cars, old cars, trucks, they've all been a little easier than my Subaru. Not that I don't love my car...

Always go for the center of the backseat, then you (hopefully) won't need the locking clip, look for the LATCH as Angela suggested and my last little trick is to twist the female end of the seatbelt once (before latching) to get a tight fit.
Glad to know it's gotten easier for you--I have hope!
Yup, twisting the female end is what finally worked for us too. What year is your Subie? Ours is a '95.

ps--I'm Megan too :

#12 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acupuncturemomma View Post
Yes! It just occurred to me that the rental car will most likely have LATCH. Do all new cars have it? We're probably renting a mini-van.

We have a Britax Boulevard. It was difficult to install in our Subaru (no LATCH) because we had trouble getting the seat belt tight enough. A very kind fireman (and father) came to our house and helped us install it! We use it in the middle seat in back, tethered too.

What do I need to know about LATCH for the rental car? The carsear just sort of clips in, right? Do you think a mini-van will have LATCH?
ALL new cars have LATCH, so yeah, your rental will. BLVD. installation with latch isn't difficult. Clip, clip, tighten like an SOB, tether, tighten.

IME the hardest part is getting the clips on.

-Angela
#13 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

So you think it's important that we tether it too?

#14 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 03:51 PM

Why would you NOT tether it?

-Angela
#15 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

I just hadn't thought about it! Since the only time we've traveled was with the infant seat. I will definitely bring the tether too. Thanks!

#16 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 04:11 PM

I rarely have trouble tethering in a rental car. Most have an easy spot. I've never taken the tether OFF my seat, do they come off?

-Angela
#17 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Now that you mention it, I don't think they do come off! The tether is also something the fireman hooked up for us. I'm glad I'm being forced (via this trip) to get more familiar/comfortable with installing our Blvd.

Thanks for the help!

#18 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 06:45 PM

Latch is in cars 2001 and newer. FYI

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#19 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 07:29 PM

If you're using the Lower Anchors you MUST use the tether for a forwardfacing install. If you install with a seatbelt it is optional though STRONGLY recommended (the use of the tether when ffing reduces head excursion in a collision).

If you are installing rearfacing (whether with the lower anchors or the belt), the tether is optional. Yes, Britax recommends its use but it is not required for a rearfacing installation.
#20 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 09:46 PM

We are frequent travelers here. I have traveled both with a baby bucket and a convertible. My convertible is by far the bulkiest contraption but its comfortable for baby and we like it for that reason. Its a PITA to travel with but my suggestions is to fork over the few bucks for a roomy car its usually only a $10 difference per day. By all means don't rent a car seat they cost $10 a day and if your trip is longer than 6 days you just bought yourself a new car seat! If you are traveling by air gate check your car seat. I know that its a PITA to haul it around, grab a bungee cord and a foldable luggage cart and do it that way. My fav airline cracked the base of my $150.00 car seat. I am muy bummed. We rented a mini van what was wonderful. I cold crawl into the back without stopping the car and nurse ds while driving or (gasp!) remove him from his seat while driving to nurse of calm him down. He dosent like his car seat at all but I didint give in all the time to his frustration, somethings just have to happen and he wasnt hurting, hungry, or wet so he had to accpt being confined (hes 13 mos).

I am sorry about your loss. I hope all goes well with the travel, just know that you will get through it, maybe a little frazzled around the edges but it will be fine.
#21 of 25 Old 07-30-2007, 11:58 PM

LATCH was mandated for all cars and car seats manufactured in September 2002 and after.
I am sorry about your loss. s

DC
#22 of 25 Old 07-31-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acupuncturemomma View Post
Glad to know it's gotten easier for you--I have hope!
Yup, twisting the female end is what finally worked for us too. What year is your Subie? Ours is a '95.

ps--I'm Megan too :
Cool! I drive a 96 Outback. I've been thinking about moving to a van (once I run out back and shake that money tree I'm growin' ) but yesterday I put three carseats in my back seat! Two forward facing Graco Cargo carseats (with harnesses, installed in the outboard positions) and a Roundabout in the middle. I got them all in rock-solid!!

Also, your 95 probably does have a place for a rear facing (check the carseat manual for suggestions) AND forward facing tether. Read the owners manual and then order the $20 kit from Subaru. The tethering helps with the big Britaxes.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#23 of 25 Old 07-31-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelfqueen View Post
If you're using the Lower Anchors you MUST use the tether for a forwardfacing install. If you install with a seatbelt it is optional though STRONGLY recommended (the use of the tether when ffing reduces head excursion in a collision).
I didn't know that!

#24 of 25 Old 07-31-2007, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Baby5Pups View Post
I have no idea or experience, but is it possible the rental car company provides carseats? You'd still have to check their installation, but you wouldn't have the pain of uninstalling and reinstalling your carseat from your own car.
Never, ever rent a carseat.

What sort of seat? If you are nervous about your convertible, a Cosco Scenera is cheap, light and easy to install in most cars.
#25 of 25 Old 07-31-2007, 01:51 PM
Banned

Oh you have a BV? Those seats are EASY to install!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page