2.5-yo undoing chest clip - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-02-2007, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We normally use a Britax Decathlon, but sometimes travel with a Cosco Scenera (especially to my sister's house, because it is narrow enough to fit between her twins' seats).

This last trip that we took, he figured out how to do the chest clip on the Scenera. We've tried the velcro deterrent method, to no avail. I've tried pulling over every time he does it, no dice. Finally someone had to sit in the back with him and keep him from doing it, while he screamed about it. We were on a highway with NO shoulders and no exits for 20 miles at a time---I couldn't pull over.

I'm going to my sister's house again in a few weeks, and need to use this seat (or rent a car, $$$). Would it be unsafe to buy an extra Britax chest clip and install it on this seat? He can't get that one undone. I know that's not the clip it was tested with, yadda yadda yadda, but logically, doesn't it seem like it should still be a safe seat?

Just looking for an easy solution, I guess. What else have people tried that worked?

(quick rant: this clip is WAY too easy to open! He even managed to open it by accident when he was just a wee one---that should never happen!)

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#2 of 4 Old 08-03-2007, 11:07 AM

Oh dear. I'm with you and can't imagine why the Britax clip wouldn't be safe but I'm sure someone here has a more definitive answer. Anyone?

(Here's my better option - give G his seat and see if we can fit a RA rear-facing for him. She's not the best latch-undoer, nor does she try. Fingers crossed that it will fit! I can try and borrow Rue's seat to test fit it - not a Scenera but she's got a seat that will fit between ours.)

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#3 of 4 Old 08-03-2007, 05:47 PM

When my dd started undoing the clip on hers I started duct taping it whenever I buckled her in.

:

Though I am not sure that is actually a good idea and I am sure DC will be here in just a moment to yell at me. :

Not all those who wander are lost 
#4 of 4 Old 08-04-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
When my dd started undoing the clip on hers I started duct taping it whenever I buckled her in.

:
Actually that isn't the worst I have seen/heard. The chest clip is a pre-crash positioner (meaning it does not *restrain*). So it is not uncommon after a wreck to see the chest clip busted open, cracked, or broken. The chest clips main function is to enable the harness straps to stay up on the shoulders and in position so that they restrain the occupant. It is important and does need to remain locked when in use. Although I do not recommend duct taping (cough, ahem), you may be able to slide the chest clips off of the harness straps and re-slide them on the straps backwards. Check your car seat manual or call the manufacturer before doing so for specifics. Some manufacturers do not allow this but still may be able to provide tips for your particular CRS. It also boils down to effectively communicating to him that he cannot undo the clips. You can make it into a game of sorts by telling him that the car won't drive (or pull the car over and stop when you see him do it) unless his clip is always buckled. It depends on his individual personality as to what approach you decide may work for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
Though I am not sure that is actually a good idea and I am sure DC will be here in just a moment to yell at me. :
I will deal with you later.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page