Apex 65 and Headrests - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-06-2007, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen a lot of people mention that you must have high seatbacks or headrests to install an Apex 65 seat.

I just purchased one for my father-in-law's car -- my daughter is 2 and almost 40 pounds. (I bought a Regent for my own car, btw.) I read through the instruction booklet from cover to cover before installing it and it doesn't have ANY mention of the height of the seats or having headrests. And just looking at the seat, I don't see why it would be a necessity. The upper portion of the seat does adjust upwards for height, but it locks into place.

(FWIW, I haven't installed the seat yet, because I had to order a new crotch strap, which is on backorder, so it may be a while. And my FIL's car does have headrests anyway, so it won't be an issue either way.)

Anyone know the answer to this one?
#2 of 5 Old 08-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Banned

The manual actually states very clearly that you MUST have high seat backs or headrests. That head rest is NOT crash worthy. You absolutely cannot use the seat without the seatbacks/headrests. Unfortunately I do not have the manual in front of me but I'm sure someone will be along to refer you to the page in a jiffy
#3 of 5 Old 08-06-2007, 03:54 PM

I am on a hunt for my manual right now...

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#4 of 5 Old 08-07-2007, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I found this in the manual:

Warning -- Do not use this child restraint if the midpoint of your child's head is above the top of the vehicle seat back or headrest.

I installed the seat in my husband's Saturn sedan, which has seatbacks of normal size, and then sat my two-year-old in the seat. The top of her head was a good two inches below the top of the seatback. So, this seat should work fine in this car for my daughter until she grows a few inches, correct? I just need to keep track of where her head is, essentially.

Incidentally, I also made my (very tall) 5-year-old sit in the seat, and the midpoint of her head was just about an inch above the top of the seatback. So I expect that the seat would work for my youngest for at least two more years.
#5 of 5 Old 08-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Banned

Yes, it's safe as long as your child's ears are contained in the seatback of the vehicle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page