Booster for older, tall, skinny child - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-07-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

My son is 9yo, 54" tall and 68 lbs. He is not required to use a booster in Colorado, but he so thin that I think he should. When in the back seat, there is so much room side-to-side that it's easy for him to move out of a safe position (he wiggles around a lot) and if he falls asleep it's worse. He's tall enough that I don't feel he needs the height of a booster seat, but I'd like to find something to support him side-to-side in the seat and back and to position the belt correctly. Currently I've got him in an Evenflo Big Kid Deluxe, but he'll be too tall for it soon and it almost touches the roof of my car. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Lucy
#2 of 5 Old 08-07-2007, 01:12 PM

My daughter is not big enough for a booster yet, so I don't have any BTDT advice for you. But I have heard that the Britax Parkway is the tallest booster on the market. According to the specs at elitecarseats.com, the interior seat back height can be adjusted up to 30.5 inches. Would that meet your needs? I also hear that they have great side impact protection and are super comfy for sleeping. Is there a BRU near you where you can go look at one?
#3 of 5 Old 08-07-2007, 04:54 PM

The Britax Parkway used to be the tallest booster avaliable. Now it seems there are a few others that are at least as tall if not taller. The Graco Airbooster, The Britax Monarch are two that I know of. But I'm not sure about the booster being near the celing of your car... Maybe consider a travel vest? Either the E-Z-On 86Y or Ride Safer would probably work. Just as long as your vehicle provides adequate head restraint.
#4 of 5 Old 08-07-2007, 08:06 PM

Hi Lucy,

Most states child restraint laws are minimal at best. With that said, I am going to venture a guess and say that although your son may meet Colorado law, he may in fact still need to be in a booster seat based in part on his actual height. Every child's body makeup is different so this is where most of the CR laws are inadequate (ie: long upper torso, short upper torso, etc.) Throw into the mix all of the thousands of different vehicles on the road and most children riding without a booster, do in fact still need one. Your son may not need a booster in one car, but in another car, may. How can you test his readiness to go without a booster seat and sit in the vehicle seat like you and I? The test is called the 5 step test. IF your son satisfies all 5 steps, in the vehicle you are testing him in, then he can go without a booster seat. http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm A booster seat MUST be used ONLY if there is a vehicle lap AND shoulder belt in the seating position you are putting him. For optimal safety, it is recommended to seat the least protected (FF), youngest child, in the rear center seating position. That location affords the most protection in a MVC. Lastly, make sure if he is not in a high back booster seat, that he sit in a seating position with a HIGH vehicle back AND headrest to support and protect the neck from whiplash injuries commonly seen in MVC's.

DC
#5 of 5 Old 08-07-2007, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I would get him the Graco Airbooster. It seems to fit big kids the best. The thing with the Parkway and the Monach is the seat isn't very deep and it slopes forward which makes it very uncomfortable to kids with longer legs, they also look like they are slipping off it.

Here is a link to a 10 yo boy in various boosters, as you can see the Airbooster fits him the best of all of them.

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/boosterfit.aspx

PS: I am in CO and also have a 9 yo the same size as yours in a booster, she does pass the 5 step test in some cars though.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page