Regent or Boulevard/Marathon? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-07-2007, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom has offered to buy us a new car seat for dd2 due in November. Dd1 has a Marathon that she's been in since she was about 6 months, purchased in June of 2004. At this point she's 3.5, 39 lbs and 39".

I'd like to minimize our carseat purchasing while maximizing time in a 5pt harness for both girls. So here's my question:

Should I ask mom to buy a Marathon/ Boulevard for dd2, then keep dd1 in her Marathon until she out grows it, or ask mom to buy a Regent for dd2 and then use the old Marathon for dd? I haven't checked the date of manufacture, but I'm guessing it will expire in about May of 2010. (DD1 will be 6 and dd2 will be 2.5.)

What is the minimum number of carseats we're going to need to buy? I'm thinking that we're going to need a regent for dd1 and another seat for dd2...can a 2.5 y.o. use a regent?...maybe a regent now and a regent when dd2 is 2.5 will be our best bet.

What do you all think?
#2 of 6 Old 08-07-2007, 01:07 PM

Well hmmm.
The baby, when it is newborn, can't ride in a Marathon. I know it says they go down to 5 pounds, but anyone who has tried a 5 pounder in an MA will tell you that is a load of hooey. They don't fit. Until they are about 10 pounds. So you need an infant seat, first of all. You might want to get a cheap one and then just move the babe into the MA as soon as it's big enough. Or you might want to get a nice one to use for a while, and have the convenience of not having to keep waking a peacefully sleeping baby.

For your older daughter, she may fit in the MA until it expires, and at six she would be ready for a booster. Or she may not! It depends if she's has a long torso or not. My dd is very long torsoed and she outgrew her MA by height when she was 4.5 and 43 inches tall! But I think that's some kind of a record. My friend's daughter is the same height as my daughter and has a LONG way to go before outgrowing the MA. So it varies. Where are your daughter's shoulders now in relation to the highest harness straps? IF you want her harnessed as long as possible, the best thing to do is get her a Regent. That way you wouldn't be forced in to switching her to a booster before you are comfortable doing so.

As to whether the baby will be able to use a Regent when the MA expires, it totally depends on how big she is. I think any kid under 35 pounds is going to swim in a Regent. Those things are BIG, and meant for older, big kids. Also a kid under 33-35 pounds should still be rearfacing, and the Regent doesn't rearface. I have met some two year olds who are 35 pounds and chunky and fit fine in a Regent. Most don't. It depends on the kid. But 2010 is a long ways away. Three years is a long time in the carseat world. The perfect seat for that soon to be born baby will probably have been designed by then, so just plan to cross that bridge when you come to it!
#3 of 6 Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie3096 View Post
The baby, when it is newborn, can't ride in a Marathon. I know it says they go down to 5 pounds, but anyone who has tried a 5 pounder in an MA will tell you that is a load of hooey. They don't fit. Until they are about 10 pounds. So you need an infant seat, first of all.
Right. I forgot to mention that we still have dd1's infant carrier that we'll use in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie3096 View Post
Where are your daughter's shoulders now in relation to the highest harness straps? IF you want her harnessed as long as possible, the best thing to do is get her a Regent. That way you wouldn't be forced in to switching her to a booster before you are comfortable doing so.
She has a very long torso and is already using the top slots, but it seems like she has some room before they're below shoulder height...I hadn't even thought torso length...was just thinking of total height. Thanks!
#4 of 6 Old 08-07-2007, 02:35 PM

My daughter was using the top slots of her MA by age 3.5 and was past them by 4.5. For your sake I hope your daughter is not growing as fast as mine is! If she is, it sounds like you will need that Regent after all.
#5 of 6 Old 08-07-2007, 03:49 PM

I would buy a Regent for dd1 and put dd2 in the MA when dd2 outgrows the infant seat. Then when the MA expires, buy another Regent. I think the average 2.5 yr. old is over 33 lbs. and to old to rear-face, at which point the Regent is a fine choice. Or hey, who knows what kind of new seats will be out by 2010! The new Recaros would be another good choice for a 2.5 yr. old.-- they RF to 35 lbs. and FF to 70 lbs.
I would buy a Regent now and not worry about the other seat for a couple of years, though.
#6 of 6 Old 08-07-2007, 05:01 PM

You may want to look into the Recaro Como or Signo that's coming out within a couple of weeks.
Rearfaces to 35lb & Harnesses to 70lb with side impact protection.

I have a blvd that I love though.

~laura
and planning to eat it again

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page