Custom covers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-07-2007, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How safe/unsafe is it to use a custom cover (the ones for sale on ebay) for a Marathon?

Considering buying one as a backup, but dd want a girly print and the britax website doesn't have any.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 PM

VERY VERY VERY UNSAFE. You don't want anything between that seat and your child that hasn't been specifically approved by the manufacturer. Search ebay for an actual Britax Marathon cover. People often sell used (or even new) cute ones that have been discontinued by Britax. As long as it's actually MADE by Britax, those are fine.
#3 of 8 Old 08-07-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2alexa View Post
How safe/unsafe is it to use a custom cover (the ones for sale on ebay) for a Marathon?

Considering buying one as a backup, but dd want a girly print and the britax website doesn't have any.

TIA
Amy,

Aftermarket products are discouraged because they MAY compromise safety. In some cases, specific information is known about unsafe products: For instance, the lap and shoulder belt "adjusters" (mighty tight type products) may actually interfere with proper lap and shoulder belt fit. Regarding a homemade seat cover, one concern is that the seat cover doen't meet federal standards for flammability. Beyond that, there may be some leeway for thin material.
It is best only to use the padding and inserts that come with the CRS or that the manufacturer sells for use with specific CRSs. Other acceptable padding includes:
a. Thin material that does not interfere with proper harness contact and fit.
b. No thick material behind the child or under the harness system.
c. No thick material under the child's bottom.

A thin seat cover or pad may not hinder the operation of a CRS but a thick pad, blanket or clothing may interfere with or reduce crash protection. This concern was generated by inserts of one inch or more of foam that began to appear in stores. The inserts that have a thin back (just to hold the side padding in place) are acceptable. However, extreme care must be taken to be sure that the insert has slots that do not interfere with the proper posistioning of the harness.

DC
#4 of 8 Old 08-08-2007, 03:33 PM

DC, what do you think of this insert? http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...50/t_=80040650
SIL got it at a garage sale. I don't know if I would use it or not, but my infant seat has foam wings to support the baby's head anyway.
#5 of 8 Old 08-11-2007, 02:03 PM

Here's a new link about custom covers, thought you might find it interesting...
http://babyproducts.about.com/b/a/257416.htm
#6 of 8 Old 08-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliantmama View Post
DC, what do you think of this insert? http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...50/t_=80040650
SIL got it at a garage sale. I don't know if I would use it or not, but my infant seat has foam wings to support the baby's head anyway.
That is a very cute fat dogthing, and the insert is a huge nono
#7 of 8 Old 08-11-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
That is a very cute fat dogthing, and the insert is a huge nono
Thanks, that's what I thought too. SIL found a snuzzler at another garage sale and was bummed that my niece was too big for it to be used in the carseat, (I was thrilled!) So they used it in a stroller-much more appropriate, but they love that pink insert.

I think I'll send her a link; something like, "OMG, did you know that these infant inserts and covers are NOT safe? I had NO idea!!"
#8 of 8 Old 08-11-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliantmama View Post
Thanks, that's what I thought too. SIL found a snuzzler at another garage sale and was bummed that my niece was too big for it to be used in the carseat, (I was thrilled!) So they used it in a stroller-much more appropriate, but they love that pink insert.

I think I'll send her a link; something like, "OMG, did you know that these infant inserts and covers are NOT safe? I had NO idea!!"
Bridget,

As ThreeBeans pointed out, the inserts are not recommended. Anything that did not come with the car seat originally, has not been crash tested with the seat, may not meet flammability standards, and could in fact affect the mechanics of how the childs body moves in the seat in the event of a crash. If additional support is needed side to side (head crinks to the left or right shoulder), it is recommended to use a cloth diaper (burp cloth type) or receiving blanket, roll it up, and place on either side of the child. The top of the diaper or receiving blanket should not be higher than the tops of the ears. Nothing around the top of the head, nothing around the neck. If a babes head is flopping forward.....than the car seat is not at the appropriate recline. It needs to be at a 45 degree angle. There is no other fix for that issue and the seat should be appropriately reclined immediately. With young babes (who have no head or neck control yet) the 45 degree angle is essential to prevent their airway from being restricted or cut off.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page