Do your kids wear bike helmets? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do your kids wear bike helmets when biking?
Yes, all the time. 107 74.31%
Yes, but not every single time. 18 12.50%
Sometimes. 2 1.39%
Rarely. 8 5.56%
Never 9 6.25%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 08-11-2007, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I voted yes 100% of the time. DH is a retired professional racing cyclist, so after my share of witnessing life-threatening crashes, I made a mental note to alwasy have my dc wear one. We've made it pretty simple-if you're on the bike,scooter,skates,etc..your head is protected. Period. I must say it PmeOff when I see pro. cyclists not wearing them. Yes, I know it's not a certainty that they will keep you alive, but they will help, ecspecially at the speed our DC go.

mp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 08-11-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post
I remember talking to the doctor with my Mom and us getting into the subject of helmets. You know what he said? The only thing helmets do is keep your head/face looking good. It does absolutely nothing to prevent damage to your brain. I was really struck by that statement.
I am so sorry to burst your bubble, but I do believe that doctor was talking out of his rear.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/pub-res/tbi...preventing.htm

http://www.biapa.org/site/c.iuLZJbMM...ain_injury.htm

http://depts.washington.edu/hiprc/pr...meteffect.html

And here's a quote from the next one: It is abundantly clear from the injury prevention research that bicycle helmets reduce the frequency and severity of traumatic brain injuries and death by approx. 85%.
Here's the link:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/lifeMain

I could go on but my fingers are tired.
#33 of 51 Old 08-11-2007, 07:56 PM

All the time, no exceptions. I was side swiped by a car while on my bike when I was 19...I was knocked out for a minute, pretty cut up, and my helmet was cracked. I can only imagine what would have happened if I hadn't been wearing a helmet. Our local sport shop has a wall of broken helmets and busted pads...

Helmets are the rule for us...cycling, climbing, skiing, whetever. It's just part of the equipment.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#34 of 51 Old 08-11-2007, 08:31 PM

Mine only ride in our yard (all grass) so no helmet.

Mommy to ds12, dd11, ds8, ds6, dd4, ^dd^ HB Loss, and dd 1
#35 of 51 Old 08-11-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post
My sister had a major head injury from an auto accident in her 20's. I remember talking to the doctor with my Mom and us getting into the subject of helmets. You know what he said? The only thing helmets do is keep your head/face looking good. It does absolutely nothing to prevent damage to your brain. I was really struck by that statement.
I think the doctor was full of it.
#36 of 51 Old 08-11-2007, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Moving to the new family safety forum My kids do wear helmets, it's the law here in CA!

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#37 of 51 Old 08-13-2007, 09:59 PM

I couldn't really vote, because your choices were too vague. My girls *always* wear a helmet when biking on street or sidewalk. They don't always when riding at a playground or at our house.
#38 of 51 Old 08-15-2007, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkbarMom View Post
For those moms that said the helmets did not fit good, I have to stress, a GOOD helmet makes all the difference. Get one that adjusts to fit the head, it usually had a little dial in the back or it squeezes tighter. The helmet shoudl fit snugly without the straps even on yet, that way it does not shift while they are riding. It shoudl also come down on the forehead, not be worn high up like a baseball cap. And always make sure the strap is on to keep the helmet on.
Very good advice, but I'd like to add to that... sometimes an adjustment to the child's hairdo helps, as well. My little girl LOVES when I do her hair- one braid, two braids, one ponytail, two ponytails, high braids, low braids, hir bpnytail, low ponytails, etc. When she first got her bike (two years ago), I was finding out that, if I gave her a hairdo, for example, two high ponytails, the bike helmet would not fit and therefore, she would fuss about wearing it (and Hubby would often give in- "Oh, she's just riding down the sidewalk.") Now, on days I know she's gonna be riding her bike, we'll make sure her hair styled low so that the ponytail holder is where it doesn't interfere with the helmet.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#39 of 51 Old 08-15-2007, 11:54 AM

We always wear helmets. Adults included. They even wear their helmets when they are in the bike trailer.
#40 of 51 Old 08-15-2007, 10:15 PM

Yes, we ALWAYS wear helmets. My husband and I do too. We also wear them for skiing, scootering, skateboarding, really most everything faster than walking... you can never be too safe (especially with your HEAD).
#41 of 51 Old 08-17-2007, 04:19 PM

I don't think I've seen a kid riding a bike w/o a helmet.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#42 of 51 Old 08-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie3096 View Post
I equate riding the bike without the helmet to riding in the car without the carseat.
Statistically, though, there's more justific'n for having them wear the helmet in the car than on the bike. Do any of you wear helmets in a car?
#43 of 51 Old 08-18-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Statistically, though, there's more justific'n for having them wear the helmet in the car than on the bike.
I wonder if that's really true. When you look at crash test footage, what strikes me is head excursion. When the child is in a 5 point harness, it doesn't look like the head is actually striking anything. The kid gets thrown around, and there is obviously stress to/damage to the spine and neck, but you don't see the head smashing up against things the way it would in, say, a bike wreck.
If the kid is in a backless booster in a side impact collision, of course, the head is going to smash against the interior of the car. But in a 5 point harness in a seat with TSIP? I don't think it's that much of an issue. I don't know, but from the videos, that's what it looks like.
#44 of 51 Old 08-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie3096 View Post
I wonder if that's really true. When you look at crash test footage, what strikes me is head excursion. When the child is in a 5 point harness, it doesn't look like the head is actually striking anything. The kid gets thrown around, and there is obviously stress to/damage to the spine and neck, but you don't see the head smashing up against things the way it would in, say, a bike wreck.

If the kid is in a backless booster in a side impact collision, of course, the head is going to smash against the interior of the car. But in a 5 point harness in a seat with TSIP? I don't think it's that much of an issue. I don't know, but from the videos, that's what it looks like.
I was thinking of children of the 2-wheeler age, too big for car seats. Helmets must make sense or race car drivers wouldn't wear them, even though they use 4-point attachment belts. I'm also thinking of the danger of objects striking the head in a crash. In actual crashes, there are an awful lot of head injuries even with belts.

When I visited my sister in Calif. in 1990, I thought the pattern of helmet wearing by my niece & nephew were laughable. They put on helmets to bicycle or tricycle, even though they went slower than I walked, and with their heads closer to the ground than mine, or to roller skate (ditto). But they took them off at the playground to use monkey bars, etc., where I thought their chance of head injury was far greater and need for peripheral vision less. And no, they didn't wear them in the car or on the stairs either.

I also question the value of hard helmets in American football.

Robert
#45 of 51 Old 08-18-2007, 09:19 PM

Yet another reason why I so dread the day when my daughter gets too big for her carseat! Maybe I will put a helmet on her...that's an idea...
#46 of 51 Old 08-19-2007, 05:52 PM

My older son is a racing cyclist and it is MANDATORY for USCF racers in the race and on the race grounds to wear them. Like mamapoppins mentioned, it makes my blood boil when they don't.

I've seen many high-speed bike crashes and the helmets do work. Our kids all wear helmets on anything wheeled, as do DH and I. I won't ride my bike 5 feet without a helmet.
#47 of 51 Old 08-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenEMT View Post
Our kids all wear helmets on anything wheeled, as do DH and I.
Including cars & buses?
#48 of 51 Old 08-19-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
My older son is a racing cyclist and it is MANDATORY for USCF racers in the race and on the race grounds to wear them. Like mamapoppins mentioned, it makes my blood boil when they don't.

I've seen many high-speed bike crashes and the helmets do work.
But, that's high-speed. My brother used to race - he could go 50 miles an hour in the right conditions. Hell yeah, he needed a helmet. My daughter piddling around a playground basketball court, no faster than I can jog? Fundamentally different. Now, if she's on the street on the same bike, yeah she wears a helmet - if she is hit by a car and sent flying, it'll be at a speed much faster than she was cycling. She could fall down an embankment instead of straight to the ground. And DD1, now, can actually really cook on the road on her bike - she cracked a helmet hitting a mailbox; dh was behind her, and his cyclometer read 20. But there's no way she'd ever achieve that speed - or encounter those kind of obstacles - on a playground or on the grass in our yard.
#49 of 51 Old 08-19-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Including cars & buses?
LOL - sometimes I need a helmet riding in the ambulance!

Anything wheeled and human powered

Actually, the time my head was saved from clonking the pavement was a slow-speed crash. I had to avoid an elderly man pulling out who did not see me. The helmet did not "save my life" in that instance due to the slow speed, but it certainly did save me from a nice bruise and headache.

My son who races is on the autism spectrum - to him things like safety devices are all or nothing. If you let him slide about helmet use one time, then like one of the previous posters mentioned - it will be a huge and ongoing battle.

As far as wearing helmets around bike races, you can be penalized for not wearing your helmet anywhere on the race grounds, including when you are riding up to the entry tent going as slow as you walk.
#50 of 51 Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 AM

I said rarely but dd is 1 and is only in the bike trailer but still she should wear a helmet: i know
#51 of 51 Old 08-20-2007, 02:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
LOL
Why? If crash helmets are de rigeur for for you bicycling, why not in the car, where (last I checked) 50% of head injuries occur? And why not on stairs?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page