Old car seats - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-17-2007, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that you are supposed to get rid of car seats after a certain number of years. On one seat we have it says "Do not use after December 2007".
My question is, what if the car seats are only used a few times a year? We don't have a car and only use the car seats when we can get rides with friends, or when we rent a car to go somewhere for a couple of days. So over the past 5 years our seats have been used maybe 4 weeks total out of each year. Do we really need to replace them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2007, 09:12 AM

Yes you really do need to replace them. A car seat expires because they are made from plastic that breaks down over time. It really doesn't matter if it is used 3 times or 3,000 times the plastic still degrades at the same rate.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
That's a drag. That means buying 3 new seats....
Old 08-17-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katerz2u View Post
Yes you really do need to replace them. A car seat expires because they are made from plastic that breaks down over time. It really doesn't matter if it is used 3 times or 3,000 times the plastic still degrades at the same rate.
Actually seats kept inside, in climate controlled conditions (as opposed to in the heat of the car, in the cold of winter, etc) downgrade slower. There is nothing magic about the date. It's not safe on Dec 31, and unsafe on Jan. 1. The manuafacture uses a date 5 - 7 years from date of manufacture, but there are no garentees (except if G/d forbid a seat fails after the exparation it's not garenteed. We didn't have a car for a long time, and neither do a lot of people here. IMO (this is my own personal opinion, based on someone with very limited funds who understands not owning a car & using a carseat only rarely) if your child is near outgrowning the seat anyway, I wouldn't worry aobut it. If you are planning on using that seat another few years, I would go ahead and replace it. (If you can afford to replace it anyway, of course replace it, but I know many people here can't afford to, and I couldn't afford to either honestly).

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Old 08-17-2007, 09:44 AM

Well you are right that extreme weather may have an effect on the plastic degrading faster/slower, and that on the exact date of expiration the seat will not evaporate, however I really would NOT recommend going against the manufacturers specific recommendations, for liability purposes.

If you use a seat against the recommendations and warnings you are voiding the manufacturer of all liability in the event of a car seat malfunction. Its really up to use as a parent to decide what you want to do, but its never recommended to use an expired seat.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:30 PM

I would not use them after December 31, 2007. Sure, it *could* be ok, but why take that chance?

CPST & mom

Old 08-17-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
I would not use them after December 31, 2007. Sure, it *could* be ok, but why take that chance?
:
To each her own opinion, but personally, I don't want my daughter riding in a seat that is "probably OK".
Old 08-18-2007, 01:43 AM

So what are we suppose to do with carseats that are expired? Just throw in the trash or is there a place that will recycle the plastic ect?

I got a hand-me-down from a friend whose son is now almost 7, don't worry, it was never used and I don't plan on it, but now I need to get rid of it.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:57 AM

Cut up the cover and harness, write UNSAFE DO NOT USE all over the shell in permanent marker and smash it with a sledgehammer if you have one, then bag up the pieces and dispose of them.

There is no way of recycling these at the moment and all the precautions I have listed above are to stop someone from digging an old, unsafe seat out of the trash to use.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Banned

You can also donate the seat to a tech for training purposes
Old 08-19-2007, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Good idea! I cringe to think of these piling up at landfills!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 08-19-2007, 04:48 PM

On this topic, sort of, is it better to use an expired car seat or no car seat?

In a perfect world, everyone would buy a new seat as soon as the old one expired. But I see plenty of people driving around here with their kids in old (and I'm assuming expired) safety seats. I don't know if they can't afford a new one or just don't want to afford a new one because the old one looks fine. Are the kids better off in these seats than just using the seat belt?

User Tag List