parkway booster, help.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-17-2007, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We got ds1 a parkway to use as a spare seat and for travelling so we can leave his husky in the car. He fits well in it, but when we took it for a test ride he complained and we weren't sure why so we put his husky back in at our destination. I asked him later why it bothered him,because he appears very comfortable. He said it was hard to see out the window. he's still smallish at just over 40 inches tall. Does visibility get better as the child gets bigger? will he get used to it over time? His husky is still good for 2 more years and he will be over 6 then, which is when we plan to use the parkway full time.

any thoughts? It's not too late to return the parkway, but afaik, the PW is the best/tallest booster available in Canada. The one we got this week has a DOM of 11/06 so it's already almost a year old, but will still last ds to get him through the booster years for sure (he'll be over 9 when it expires).
#2 of 15 Old 08-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Banned

How old is he? 40 inches and just barely four IMO is too small and young for a bpb.
#3 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

He rides in a husky/regent. doesn't get any bigger or better than that. the booster is a spare that really won't be used until christmas when we go travelling.

do you have any advice re: the headwings and visibility? as that was my question
#4 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 08:48 AM

It sounds like he is just too small to see out the window. Honestly that would worry me when using a booster. My 5.5 year old is in a turbo booster which she doesn't have trouble seeing out of. However she is going to be too tall for the back on that seat soon. I don't know how the wings on the different seats compare. I have seen conflicting info that the PW a new seat by Cosco or the new Graco Airbooster have the highest backs available. We are going to be checking on that next week. If the Cosco Apex is available in CA I would check that seat out. It harnesses to 65 lbs then becomes a booster I think to 100 lbs. It's similar in price to the Parkway and would be a much safer seat for a small child.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#5 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 12:21 PM

I would just wait and use the Parkway when he is a little bigger. 40 inches tall is very, very tiny to be in a Parkway. It will get better when he is big enough to use the seat.
For now, if you need a spare, I think the Apex is a great suggestion.
#6 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin+babyAndrew View Post
He rides in a husky/regent. doesn't get any bigger or better than that. the booster is a spare that really won't be used until christmas when we go travelling.

do you have any advice re: the headwings and visibility? as that was my question
Did you buy the husky/regent in Canada, and does it have the CMVSS National Safety mark/sticker? If not, it's not legal for use in Canada and may void your insurance. Last I checked (6-12 months ago), the largest 5 pts available are produced by Graco. Transport Canada only approves harnesses for use to 48 lbs, so even seats approved for higher weights/harness use in the US are not approved for such use in Canada.

The wings are where the foam to reduce head injury are placed. I don't think there's any way around it. I didn't buy the Parkway because the wings were uncomfortable to DS, and we have side curtain airbags which reduce the likelihood/severity of head injury in an accident. DS is in a graco backed turbo booster.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#7 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:

I understand that was your question, but I can't in good conscience give advice on a situation that really isn't safe to begin with. As another poster said, the Apex would be a good solution
#8 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joensally View Post
snip Transport Canada only approves harnesses for use to 48 lbs, so even seats approved for higher weights/harness use in the US are not approved for such use in Canada.snip
Not true the laws have changed in the past couple months, I think it was in May. I was just researching this issue for a friend and the Radian is available in Canada going I think to 65lbs. Here is a link to the info from Transport Canada http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations.../rssr/rssr.htm I don't know for sure about the Husky though, that is a good point.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#9 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
Not true the laws have changed in the past couple months, I think it was in May. I was just researching this issue for a friend and the Radian is available in Canada going I think to 65lbs. Here is a link to the info from Transport Canada http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations.../rssr/rssr.htm I don't know for sure about the Husky though, that is a good point.
Woo hoo! That's excellent news! I found this, which is more to the point than reading the regs (my eyes are now crossed!) :
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=18186

This is too late for us, unfortunately, as DS who is not quite 5 now measures 4 ft and 63 lbs! I'd have him back in a 5pt in a heartbeat if I could.

#10 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Did you buy the husky/regent in Canada, and does it have the CMVSS National Safety mark/sticker? If not, it's not legal for use in Canada and may void your insurance. Last I checked (6-12 months ago), the largest 5 pts available are produced by Graco. Transport Canada only approves harnesses for use to 48 lbs, so even seats approved for higher weights/harness use in the US are not approved for such use in Canada.

The wings are where the foam to reduce head injury are placed. I don't think there's any way around it. I didn't buy the Parkway because the wings were uncomfortable to DS, and we have side curtain airbags which reduce the likelihood/severity of head injury in an accident. DS is in a graco backed turbo booster.
no, it's an american seat. I am breaking the law for my child's safety. I have never heard any facts relating to "insurance voided by an american seat" there is no such thing as car seat insurance, so what insurance exactly are you talking about? I think american insurance is way different than how we operate here and I'm not understanding what would be void. can you please elaborate on what I'd be doing without? I'd almost certainly be taking a living child out of my american seat after a crash, so that is just fine with me if my insurance doesn't pay to replace the seat.. but I am sure they would no matter what.
I am aware of what the sidewings are for, I have done my research and since our car hasn't got side airbags, we need this seat. I did mention above that we will not be using this seat until likely christmas and even then only as a spare for 2 more years. After that time, when ds is over 6 years old we will either get another illegal seat if we are forced to by them not being available here or we will put the parkway into full time use.
thanks for your concern, I do understand the drive to educate people, but trust me, I am not one of those who are clueless.

and, the pp is right, TC has changed the 48 lbs max to 65 lbs and the radian is the seat here with the tallest slots. However, the seat has a lot of issues and I'm not comfortable spending money on an uncomfortable seat full of "bugs." My younger child is in a Marathon, that is the seat here with the next highest harness heights, but my son has outgrown that. I will not be buying a Graco, cosco or evenflo seat...ever again. The quality is just not there IMO.
#11 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for moving this, I didn't realize there was a safety board
#12 of 15 Old 08-19-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
no, it's an american seat. I am breaking the law for my child's safety. I have never heard any facts relating to "insurance voided by an american seat" there is no such thing as car seat insurance, so what insurance exactly are you talking about? I think american insurance is way different than how we operate here and I'm not understanding what would be void. can you please elaborate on what I'd be doing without? I'd almost certainly be taking a living child out of my american seat after a crash, so that is just fine with me if my insurance doesn't pay to replace the seat.. but I am sure they would no matter what.
I am aware of what the sidewings are for, I have done my research and since our car hasn't got side airbags, we need this seat. I did mention above that we will not be using this seat until likely christmas and even then only as a spare for 2 more years. After that time, when ds is over 6 years old we will either get another illegal seat if we are forced to by them not being available here or we will put the parkway into full time use.
thanks for your concern, I do understand the drive to educate people, but trust me, I am not one of those who are clueless.

and, the pp is right, TC has changed the 48 lbs max to 65 lbs and the radian is the seat here with the tallest slots. However, the seat has a lot of issues and I'm not comfortable spending money on an uncomfortable seat full of "bugs." My younger child is in a Marathon, that is the seat here with the next highest harness heights, but my son has outgrown that. I will not be buying a Graco, cosco or evenflo seat...ever again. The quality is just not there IMO.
A child would likely be living, but may need rehab like PT or OT - this would potentially not be covered by your insurance and is very costly. If a child survives, but is disabled, damages may not apply and the ongoing, lifetime costs would be born by the parents and the state (and entirely dependent on what your province will cover, which varies). This is a variable in Canada. Depending on your province's MVA you could also be found in contravention and fined. I made a similar decision to yours when DD was 1 year old and I kept her rear facing in her FP Safe Embrace past the Canadian weight limit, but I understood the risks to be greater than who would pay to replace the seat.

To your original question - the wings are for head protection, so they do need to sit on either side of the child's head and I don't see how the sight lines would substantively improve as the child moves up through the wings as they grow. I recently sat in our back seat and the sight lines suck. I totally understand why kids in boosters move around so much so that they can see around the front headrests, which is a substantial safety loss between the 5pt and booster. Potentially what you gain with the Parkway (side impact protection) is mitigated by a child moving out of proper position more frequently as they try to see around the wings.

#13 of 15 Old 08-19-2007, 02:42 PM

this is OT for the original post but would you mind mama telling me how wide the base of the PW is??? I can't seem to find that info online anywhere.....

i'd like to know prior to going out and looking at everything so we can play around with the measurements in the backseat before spending hours at the store...

thanks much!!!!!!
#14 of 15 Old 08-20-2007, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A child would likely be living, but may need rehab like PT or OT - this would potentially not be covered by your insurance and is very costly. If a child survives, but is disabled, damages may not apply and the ongoing, lifetime costs would be born by the parents and the state (and entirely dependent on what your province will cover, which varies). This is a variable in Canada. Depending on your province's MVA you could also be found in contravention and fined. I made a similar decision to yours when DD was 1 year old and I kept her rear facing in her FP Safe Embrace past the Canadian weight limit, but I understood the risks to be greater than who would pay to replace the seat.

To your original question - the wings are for head protection, so they do need to sit on either side of the child's head and I don't see how the sight lines would substantively improve as the child moves up through the wings as they grow. I recently sat in our back seat and the sight lines suck. I totally understand why kids in boosters move around so much so that they can see around the front headrests, which is a substantial safety loss between the 5pt and booster. Potentially what you gain with the Parkway (side impact protection) is mitigated by a child moving out of proper position more frequently as they try to see around the wings.

hmm I see... I am considering returning the PW and getting a radian... as much as the radian displeases me it may be the best option.
#15 of 15 Old 08-20-2007, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine's mama View Post
this is OT for the original post but would you mind mama telling me how wide the base of the PW is??? I can't seem to find that info online anywhere.....

i'd like to know prior to going out and looking at everything so we can play around with the measurements in the backseat before spending hours at the store...

thanks much!!!!!!

appears to be 17 inches wide

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page