Am I just spoiled?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2007, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went and looked at the Apex 65 yesterday. I really liked the idea of it (higher harness weight limit then turns into a booster). But after looking at it- it seems so flimsy. I could bend the plastic on the headrest with my hands... is that really going to keep a child safe in an accident? Not to mention ds was already at the second to the top harness set so it wouldn't last him too much longer (outgrowing it by height way before weight, I suspect).

Is it just me? Is it really a good carseat and I'm just spoiled by Britax?

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2007, 01:34 PM

We looked at it as well when we were needing a carseat before our Regent was shipped (it was delayed and we really needed to have the Roundabout free cause I was 9m pregnant!) I hated it. Dd is admittedly tall (was outgrowing the Roundabout) but she was on the second to last slot and it just seemed like a waste. We ended up getting a Eddie Bauer Summit Booster for the time we needed it and has an extra seat. I don't like it as much as the Regent, but it's okay extra seat. Dd finds it comfy, much more so than than the Apex, so that's good.

Mama of three.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:35 PM

I don't have experience with the brand, but whenever I need to research carseats, I always turn to the baby bargains forum - windsorpeak.com - VERY comprehensive discussions/reviews of just about every carseat ever made (as well as all sorts of other gear
Old 08-18-2007, 01:53 PM

It's okay. Remember that the apex MUST have high headrests behind it- so they will be the one getting your child's weight.

Me though? I wouldn't buy it unless I had no other option to keep my child harnessed. I'd beg, borrow or steal money for a regent if I had to.

-Angela
Old 08-18-2007, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

I agree, Angela. Owen has a Regent in my car that I love. We were looking at the Apex because DP's mom offered to buy a carseat for her car. A new Regent wasn't an option so I was looking into the Apex 65. I don't like it though. But, I think we've come to another solution. Owen also has a Marathon that's currently installed in my car being used by the little boy I watch a couple days a week. I won't be watching him after December though so I told DP's mom if she can hold out until the end of the year we'll just put the Marathon in her car. That'll buy us some time. Hopefully it'll be a while before he outgrows that one (he's well below the weight limit and I think he's on the second highest harness, but I can't remember).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 08-18-2007, 02:41 PM

What about a radian?
Old 08-18-2007, 10:27 PM

You are spoiled by Britax. So am I! I don't like the Cosco seats either. Some people honestly can't afford anything else, though. It's not an unsafe seat, it has passed its crash testing, it's just not as nice. And it's only passed the required front impact. Britax reportedly voluntarily tests their seats in side impact and rollover crashes, too.
I am so spoiled by Britax that I don't even like the Radian! I am a total carseat snob.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie3096 View Post
Britax reportedly voluntarily tests their seats in side impact and rollover crashes, too.
This is a myth. The only Britax seats that have passed side impact tests are the Companion, Boulevard, Parkway, and Monarch. At present there isn't any CRS's on the market that have passed tests in roll over collisions. Your rollover protection is to be had in and with your vehicle and its safety features.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:00 AM

Ah, okay thanks.
How do you find out what's been tested how?
Old 08-19-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
You are spoiled by Britax. So am I! I don't like the Cosco seats either. Some people honestly can't afford anything else, though. It's not an unsafe seat, it has passed its crash testing, it's just not as nice. And it's only passed the required front impact. Britax reportedly voluntarily tests their seats in side impact and rollover crashes, too.
I am so spoiled by Britax that I don't even like the Radian! I am a total carseat snob.

same here : the radian is supposed to be a good seat, but I just don't see it. there are so many issues with it. short strapped ones, uncomfortably narrow for bigger kids, really close harness in the neck area, buckle tongues are too narrow for the width of the harness straps. allowing the child's shoulders to be 1 inch over the top harness slot, wuwt??
Old 08-19-2007, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin+babyAndrew View Post
allowing the child's shoulders to be 1 inch over the top harness slot, wuwt??
That irks me, too! Okay, so it passed the crash test for head excursion that way, but what about spinal compression? There's no way to test for that, and isn't that one of the reasons for the "above the shoulders" rule? Yeah, the Radian has issues. I do own two of them, mind you, because in certain situations only a Radian will fit (like in the backseat of our truck), and my child is NOT riding in a booster. But for the main, everyday seat? Nope, sorry; for exactly the reasons you said. Plus, no lockoffs, making for a PITA install. Everytime I put it somewhere with a lap/shoulder belt I have to use the ^%$# locking clip. The only thing I like as well as her Britax seats is her Safeguard. And that cost $450, so it had BETTER be nice.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Ah, okay thanks.
How do you find out what's been tested how?
If a CRS is labeled with the TSIP designation, it has been tested and passed side impact collision protocol. Keep in mind that all crash testing is done by the CRS manufacturer, in other words they self certify.

It is much more complex than this but generally speaking, the US-NCAP side impact test procedure is similar to the FMVSS 214 protocol. The main difference is that the impact speed is 5 mph higher in the NCAP test compared to FMVSS 214. This means an impact velocity of 62 km/h representing 55 km/h in car Y direction and 30 km/h in X direction.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has instituted a more clearly defined, more severe side impact test, which would represent an "average" collision with an SUV. A trolley with a mass of 1500 kg hits the car in a purely lateral impact with a velocity of 50 km/h. Two SID-II dummies are used in the front and rear seats on the vehicle’s struck side. No child dummies are used in the IIHS side impact test. Measurements are taken such as HIC (head injury criteria) and chest injury criteria. Many experts believe that additional testing should account for some degree of vehicle intrusion into the occupant compartment, which overall the tests presently performed, do not.
There are still bugs to be worked out with respect to side impact CRS testing. Engineers cannot agree on the criteria. Many times the USA looks to European, Australian and Japanese testing standards as a basis or platform for determining our needs.

As for roll over testing.....NHTSA's 5 year plan (they are to complete the updates by 2009) is to address the rollover rate and subsequently test the rate and type of injury among other things, by updating federal motor vehicle standards first (so upgrading the safety in the vehicle your CRS's are in). Stabilitrac features/sensors, strengthened vehicle frames, rear side impact upper and lower thorax air bag protection, and a plethera of other changes have already been made or are currently in the works. The fact remains that roll over crashes only account for approx. 2 percent of all crashes, but they account for up to 1/3 of traffic fatalities. Sad to say there is only so much money in the budget to go around. A 2% rate will not put this type of CRS testing on the fast track. And it should.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
I went and looked at the Apex 65 yesterday. I really liked the idea of it (higher harness weight limit then turns into a booster). But after looking at it- it seems so flimsy. I could bend the plastic on the headrest with my hands... is that really going to keep a child safe in an accident? Not to mention ds was already at the second to the top harness set so it wouldn't last him too much longer (outgrowing it by height way before weight, I suspect).

Is it just me? Is it really a good carseat and I'm just spoiled by Britax?
I totally thought this also. :

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:29 AM

You are spoiled and so am I!! I have a Boulevard and an Apex. The Apex was always intended to be Grandma's seat and we are going to get a Regent. Grandma bought it earlier this summer when DS needed the Boulevard so we could save for the Regent. I am not thrilled with the Apex but the longer I have had it the more I can see it's benefits. It does what it is there to do, it is a higher weight harnessing seat that can be found for less than $100 (on sale). All that said, our Regent will be ordered soon! Yeah!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 08-21-2007, 05:21 PM

We had an Apex and I got rid of it the same week that the article in the Chicago Tribune was published, exposing some info. on Evenflo and Dorel/Cosco that I was not at all comfortable with. The Apex is lighter than the Regent, but honestly didn't take up less room in the van. And it's certainly "flimsy" compared to the Regent, IMO. The straps twisted ALL THE TIME, and my 7yo is good about keeping her straps smooth, but she just couldn't do it with the Apex. They were wicked twisty.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

User Tag List