Lightweight inexpensive car seat for air travel? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-20-2007, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I've seen threads like this before but never paid too much attn because I could borrow my sister's car seat for travel...

But... now we're both taking trips at the same time! I can't remember the brand of her carseat, but it's nice and narrow and lightweight, perfect for air travel.

We're going on a LONG plane trip (7 hrs) and am NOT going to take my britex for my 29 month old dd.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for something I can run to Target today and pick up!

mumma to sweet 7 year old girl
and darling 2 year old guy

#2 of 6 Old 08-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Banned

Cosco Scenera 40 dollars. Lightweight (9 lbs). Easy to install.
#3 of 6 Old 08-20-2007, 01:52 PM

Yep Scenera. Runs $50 at my local target, but you can also get it at walmart and kmart of you have those, usually for $40
Also, if you care at all, the colors each store stocks are different..I think Target carries the blue, kmart the brown, and Walmart sometimes a pladi black or else different blue than target.
Have a good trip!

CPST
#4 of 6 Old 08-20-2007, 04:31 PM

Is the scenera good for an every day car seat as well?
#5 of 6 Old 08-20-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
Is the scenera good for an every day car seat as well?
Yes, it is a perfectly fine seat. Lightweight, easy to install in most cars, has a high RF limit of 35 pounds, great for RF most kids until about 3 years old, also fits most newborns well as it has a LOW set of slots also. All seats sold meet minimum standards, so it passes crash testing.

Cons: it *is* lightweight, and it has minimal padding - if you are used to a very plush, sturdier seat like a Britax, this seat might seem flimsy and un-plush (i think I just made that word up, LOL!) The highest slot height is low, so that if a child actually maxxes out the RF limit of the seat, they usually are already over the top slots, and therefore the seat can't be used FF, because their shoulders are already over the top slots, lol.

All in all, a decent choice, will get many kids from birth to about 3 yrs old, and for $40, that's a steal.

CPST
#6 of 6 Old 08-20-2007, 05:06 PM

Thanks. DD is about to out grow her "bucket" car seat. I'd honestly like 3 car seats, as we have grown used to the convienence of a base in my car, DH's car, and the ability to take the bucket easily with us in anyone's car.

I'd like one for each of our cars, as well as a traveling car seat for others that is east to install.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page