Why aren't carseats required on buses? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-20-2007, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't understand this. My dd will be 5 next year and going into kindergarten. There's no way she'll weigh enough to be out of a carseat and yet the buses around here don't even have SEAT BELTS! How do they get away with that?

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#2 of 3 Old 08-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Banned

The way buses are designed, the 'compartments' created by the seats are supposed to act as the restraint. Definitely not as safe as a five point harness of course. The argument is that buses statistically are far less likely to be in collisions than autos.

There is also the counter argument that the 'compartment saftey' thing only works on people of a certain height or weight. (I'm not recalling the figures off the top of my head, but they're definitely larger than the average kindergartner)

Personally, I would not be comfortable putting such a small child on a bus every time, but it is of course a parental decision
#3 of 3 Old 08-20-2007, 06:30 PM

I understand your concern. Buses are the safest form of ground transportation. Why? Buses are larger and heavier than most vehicles, crash forces are distributed differently (evenly), the occupants experience these forces differently, they are statistically the lowest "risk" mode of travel, and they are conspicuous as hell.
In addition, buses are designed with the theory of "compartmentalization" which combines energy absorbing seat backs, and narrow spacing between occupants which offers a "compartment" size space for the occupant. It provides passive protection. Think of an egg in a carton.
With that said, there is a push by NHTSA and others to mandate seat belts in buses. When or if this will become law, I don't know. There is a small percentage of bus companies/school districts who use/manufacture buses with lap and shoulder belts in them, right now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page