What seats have the tether? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-20-2007, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak

After a recent car accident, I feel like a tether is imperative in whatever new car seat I buy. My previous seat was a britax, and it handled so well in a horrible crash that I will probably buy another one. I'm curious if all seats come with tethers or just britax? This is my first child, so I've only ever used one seat!
#2 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 12:03 AM

Can I piggy back on your thread? A friend of mine has a britax marathon for her almost 1 yo, and was told by a car seat tech that it doesn't need to be tethered rear facing. I have the same seat, and that was not my impression from reading the book. Can someone clarify? Is it better tethered or untethered rear facing?
#3 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Banned

It is always better to tether rearfacing.

OP, is your child rear or forward facing? All seats top-tether in the forward facing position. Currently, only Britax, Sunshine Kids' and Recaro have rear-facing tether capabilities.
#4 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwebbal View Post
Can I piggy back on your thread? A friend of mine has a britax marathon for her almost 1 yo, and was told by a car seat tech that it doesn't need to be tethered rear facing. I have the same seat, and that was not my impression from reading the book. Can someone clarify? Is it better tethered or untethered rear facing?
I was recently in a pretty horrible car accident. The carseat had been strapped in and tethered professionally THAT DAY! Previously I had never tethered it. The force of the accident caused the seat to move from the middle of the car to behind my seat. It had begun to rotate about 45-degrees. The fireman at the scene told me that based on the force, ds would have likely kept on spinning (and thus been thrown forward) had the seat not been tethered. It makes me sick to think about. If you have a tether or know someone who does, please, please, please use it. It may have saved my son's life.
#5 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
It is always better to tether rearfacing.

OP, is your child rear or forward facing? All seats top-tether in the forward facing position. Currently, only Britax, Sunshine Kids' and Recaro have rear-facing tether capabilities.
Can I ask if all seats MUST be tethered in the ff position? Or is it optional for some seats? And if it is optional, why why why? This is to settle a dispute with dh. We tether our seat, of course
#6 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Can I ask if all seats MUST be tethered in the ff position? Or is it optional for some seats? And if it is optional, why why why? This is to settle a dispute with dh. We tether our seat, of course
Well, what country are you in? In Canada, it's a law

It's not a law in the US, however, top tethering RADICALLY improves the safety of the seat. There is never a reason not to tether.

It's optional in the US because our laws suck eggs :
#7 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 11:47 AM

a car seat tech told my friend that she didn't need tether her rear facing Marathon because it was better for the seat to coccoon and rotate backwards in an accident. I didn't think it was good advice at all, but who was I to argue with a tech? Right now her son's seat isn't tethered rear facing and I wanted to get the facts for her so she could decide what to do.
#8 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Banned

That tech needs to be reported to SafeKids for disseminating inaccurate (and potentially harmful) information.
#9 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 01:36 PM

How does one report a tech?
#10 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwebbal View Post
a car seat tech told my friend that she didn't need tether her rear facing Marathon because it was better for the seat to coccoon and rotate backwards in an accident. I didn't think it was good advice at all, but who was I to argue with a tech? Right now her son's seat isn't tethered rear facing and I wanted to get the facts for her so she could decide what to do.
Sorry to run all over the op's thread ...

I am the friend JoAnne is talking about I don't doubt that it is better to tether especially after hearing the stories posted above. My question now is there are several methods of tethering when a seat is rear faceing. Which one should I use?? Why do car seats have to be so frigging confuseing

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#11 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 09:48 PM

Hi Cheryl! :

I think the best technique would be to find a spot on the seat in front and use the anchor point (a separate piece of belt that comes with the seat) and tether it to that. Usually the place where the seat is attached to the floor works, but we can wait for a tech to tell us more?
#12 of 16 Old 08-21-2007, 11:51 PM

#13 of 16 Old 08-23-2007, 06:43 PM

Tethering rear facing is a good thing, but not absolutely necessary for safety. There is a school of thought that says tethering for tiny babies could possibly be bad do to increased neck loads, but really there isn't enough information one way or the other to determine is that is the case.

For a forward-facing child, absolutely tether any FF seat if you have an approved anchor with which to do so. A non-tethered seat is permitted to allow 32 inches of head excursion, a tethered seat much not allow more than 28 inches.

All modern harnessed seats have FF tethers. If you have a seat that cannot tether forward facing, it's expired and should not be used anyway.
#14 of 16 Old 08-24-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
My question now is there are several methods of tethering when a seat is rear faceing. Which one should I use?? Why do car seats have to be so frigging confuseing
Other folks, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong; but RF tethering is a Britax (and a few other high end seats, maybe?) thing. To tether the Britax RF you just read the manual!

I usually tether onto the base of the seat in front, but I just used a rental Taurus and ended up using the Australian tether system. It was a little goofy, and I needed to use a noodle, but a RF tether GREATLY improves the stability of the seat, IMHO.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#15 of 16 Old 08-24-2007, 04:07 PM

Seats that allow RF tethering are more stable, but simply being RF provides so much protection that I wouldn't sweat it if you can get a seat that allows it. I'd rather see a 34 lbs child in a $40 RF Cosco than in a FF $250 Britax, assuming the child fits.
#16 of 16 Old 08-26-2007, 12:05 AM

FYI- It looks like the new RECAROs do NOT tether RFing

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page