Airline safety and preschoolers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been a few years since I last flew with my son. When we traveled last he was only about 16 months old and I was able to install his MA in the airplane seat.

Fast forward and my son is now almost 5 and outgrew his MA by height at just over 4 years old, he uses a HBB in the car. Now we are going to be traveling cross country in a few weeks and I know I can't use his booster on the plane. So is the only option just to have him set with the lapbelt? That seems horribly unsafe to me .. I've personally been on a flight with awful turbulance that threw us around and that's one reason this is such a concern of mine.

Is there anything I'm missing or overlooking? Or should I just plan to buckle him in and hope for the best?

Also, is it safe to check his booster seat, or do I need to try and carry it on with us?

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#2 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Banned

Airline seatbelts are designed to restrain people who are over 40 lbs. If your son is, I'm sure he's going to be fine.

For the booster, get a separatable one like a Graco Highback Booster. Carry on the backless portion and check the high back. That way, you'll have *something* for him to sit on if they lose your luggage
#3 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 05:35 PM

ThreeBeans is right, but if you are still very uncomfortable with him in a lap belt, you COULD get him a Radian. I hear they install well on planes and the harness slots are a lot higher than the MAs. My daughter has outgrown her MA by height, and her main seat is a Regent, but we have a Radian as a spare and she still has a lot of growing room in it.
#4 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

He's 49 pounds and 44.5 inches, so I guess he should be ok in the seat. I'd love it if he could fit in a Radian .. I may need to make the trip to the local Babies R Us to see if he fits. He's super long in the torso so last time I checked our only option was a Regent and it just has not been in the budget. Is it likely that a 44.5 inch, long torso'd kid would fit in a Radian?

ThreeBeans, that's a great idea. We use a Turbo Booster in my Explorer so if we don't go the Radian route, I'll certainly carry on the bottom portion and check the top half. Great idea.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#5 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 07:14 PM

No guarantees, but I think it's likely he'll fit if you want to have him harnessed. DD is 43 inches tall and super long in the torso, and she has a lot of room in hers. At 44.5 inches I'm sure she'll still fit. Every kid is different; I hope you can find one IRL to try. The Radian is certainly not my fave seat but if you have a kid who has outgrown the MA, sometimes it's your only option. There are some places a Regent just won't fit! (Like on a plane...)
#6 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

The Radian has an inch more room than the Marathon for harnessing
#7 of 9 Old 08-22-2007, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Only an inch? Yikes. I can't imagine that he'll fit, but I'm going to give it a try today. He's such a big kid, by the time he outgrew his MA people were laughing about how he looked shoved in there. I think his shoulders would be well more than an inch over the top straps in the MA, so unless we find out differently with the Radian today, he's going to be in just a lapbelt on the plane.

Thanks for the info.

#8 of 9 Old 08-24-2007, 12:37 PM

Thanks for this thread! Great ideas...

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#9 of 9 Old 08-24-2007, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions guys. We went and tried out a Radian and I almost snapped a pic on my phone it was so funny. He didn't even come close to fitting in there!

So I guess we'll take the Turbobooster with us to Cali and let him sit on the plane in just a lapbet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page