Australian tethering - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-21-2007, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So apparently (and this is all third hand) Joseph Colella gave a training yesterday in Bryan, Texas, and said that the Australian method of tethering provides the best protection for a rearfacing child. And furthermore, Britax does allow it, and their "ban" on it was short lived. Hmmm. Furthermore, apparently the new Britax convertible manuals, viewable at the Britax site, give directions for tethering using the Australian method. Hmmm.

Anyone?
#2 of 5 Old 08-22-2007, 12:14 AM

I've been considering it with my Boulevard. According to the most recent LATCH manual, it is allowed. I am not happy with my tether location for the D-ring. It's tethered to a power front seat and there are none of the typical locations available.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#3 of 5 Old 08-22-2007, 12:48 AM

I just don't see how it makes the seat as secure as tethering towards the front of the car.

-Angela
#4 of 5 Old 08-22-2007, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Don't Australian seats have rebound bars as well as tethers, ie the old Britax Galaxy? This would prevent the seat from hitting the back seat. I definitely wouldn't tether a Boulevard Aussie style.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 5 Old 08-22-2007, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

I don't really get it either. I get the issue with the Swedish method. There isn't anything to stop the downward rotation, so the seat rotates down towards the floor, then back up, then it's abruptly stopped by the tether, and the baby's head and neck get stressed because, well, the baby keeps moving!
It seems like, though, with the Australian method, although it does prevent downward rotation, there isn't anything to stop the seat from flipping towards the rear of the car.:
Yes, I'm told that Australian seats do have rebound bars in addition to the tether. But he was talking about U.S. seats.
Apparently if one sees the crash test video, one will become convinced. It's not online anywhere though! I'm hoping that by the time my babe is born and ready for the convertible, all will be resolved...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page