seat protectors that go under carseats... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-27-2007, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I assume, that because this is an "after market" thing, it's a no-no, right?
#2 of 7 Old 08-27-2007, 12:20 PM

My understanding is that they're a no no. Bumping up for you- I'm sure a tech will be along...

-Angela
#3 of 7 Old 08-27-2007, 12:21 PM

My carseat tech friend told me to use that spongy drawer-liner stuff instead. It's very thin and flexible and won't affect the friction between the carseat and the car seat.
#4 of 7 Old 08-27-2007, 12:46 PM

they are a no-no.
You may use the spongy drawer liner stuff, or 1 very thin layer, like a receiving blanket or thin towel, if you absolutely must, but it's best not to put anything between the seat and the carseat. There are some techs who disagree, and say the spongy stuff actually helpss the carseat stay in place, because it's sort of grabby, but that is opinion. None of the plastic pieces or anything like that should ever be used.

CPST
#5 of 7 Old 08-27-2007, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

We're getting a van in Nov., it will have leather (I hate leather, but dh is a pill and insists....: ), and my bf was telling me how we "have to" get those seat protector thingies or else the leather will be "ruined." Now, I really don't care, personally. : It's a van that's going to be used with kids. I expect it to get messy.

So if I decide I want to do something, I'll put that foamy crap down. Otherwise, meh, I don't care. I'd rather have safe kids than intact leather.
#6 of 7 Old 08-27-2007, 01:52 PM

Leather actually does fine with carseats IME.

-Angela
#7 of 7 Old 08-27-2007, 02:16 PM

Your leather will be fine. Just remember to treat it every so often with a leather conditioner, which should be done regardless of whether or not your car seats are installed. The great thing about leather seats is that spills and dirt just brush right off - they really are ideal for kids. lol

But you're right, the seat protectors are not safe. They give the illusion of a secure installation, and invariably when they're used the seat slips around on the leather.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page