Carseat opinions needed - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 10-12-2007, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The new Combi has an anti-rebound bar as well.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 43 Old 10-12-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
The new Combi has an anti-rebound bar as well.
Yes! That's the one I saw. If I was buying a new one I would research it.

-Angela
#33 of 43 Old 10-12-2007, 01:39 PM

We have the Companion and are still using it because my DD is tiny (she's 1). All the things others have said about it are true, it's hard to get out of the base, the handle must be down while riding, and it weighs a ton. I can't wait to get the Boulevard.
#34 of 43 Old 10-12-2007, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to family safety

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#35 of 43 Old 10-12-2007, 03:59 PM

I used the Boulevard from birth. DD was 11 pounds at birth, though, so I don't know how much of a difference that made. FWIW, the boulevard was perfect for her. It is a huge seat, but the straps went down far enough that they were below her shoulders and they tightened just fine. It has lots of side padding for infants to keep them from moving too much. And with the rear tether, I was able to get it really reclined. Though I do have to admit, I bought this headrest and used it for the first two months. I know Britax says not to use accessories with their seats, but this just has a very thin piece of material that goes behind their head and a soft padding that goes around their head, I couldn't see any harm at all in using it and it worked great.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#36 of 43 Old 10-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Banned

The head rest is not a good idea. They are not crash tested with the seats. Furthermore, they can push the baby's head forward if they get mispositioned and cut off the baby's airway...which you won't see because the baby is rearfacing.

Seats that have infant inserts have been tested WITH those inserts. Those aftermarket products have NOT been tested with your carseat. You don't know if they are safe.
#37 of 43 Old 10-12-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
The head rest is not a good idea. They are not crash tested with the seats. Furthermore, they can push the baby's head forward if they get mispositioned and cut off the baby's airway...which you won't see because the baby is rearfacing.

Seats that have infant inserts have been tested WITH those inserts. Those aftermarket products have NOT been tested with your carseat. You don't know if they are safe.
:

After market additions are a bad bad idea. Sorry!

-Angela
#38 of 43 Old 10-12-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
There are two new Britax seats- the Diplomat is the roundabout sized seat with the TSIP.

-Angela
I hadn't heard they re-issued this seat. I had the old version of this (called Roundabout Advantage) from when my 5 yr old was a baby. We just retired it this summer, after a crash. That said, I totally don't reccomend it. Get one of the Marathon sized models, as you can keep a kid in it *so* much longer. And frankly, I think the non-rethreading strap thing is over-rated. It's appealing for an infant, so you can get the straps in *just* the right spot, but as they get older, it is much more of a pita to take the cover on and off for washing. And I don't know about others, but I wash my covers frequently -- my kids eat and drink in the car often (we live in rural area and often have long drives) and between 18 mos - 3 or so, we had frequent potty accidents to deal with.

Ease of washing is way more important to me than the "convenience" of not rethreading. Re-threading is really no biggie.

BUT for the OP,

the bucket is useful in ways you (universal you) dont' really anticipate until you have the baby and a better fit for sure. I have a 1 week old 9 lb 21" baby in my arms and he doesn't fit in my Roundabout.
#39 of 43 Old 10-12-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus'smama View Post
I hadn't heard they re-issued this seat. I had the old version of this (called Roundabout Advantage) from when my 5 yr old was a baby. We just retired it this summer, after a crash. That said, I totally don't reccomend it. Get one of the Marathon sized models, as you can keep a kid in it *so* much longer. And frankly, I think the non-rethreading strap thing is over-rated. It's appealing for an infant, so you can get the straps in *just* the right spot, but as they get older, it is much more of a pita to take the cover on and off for washing. And I don't know about others, but I wash my covers frequently -- my kids eat and drink in the car often (we live in rural area and often have long drives) and between 18 mos - 3 or so, we had frequent potty accidents to deal with.

Ease of washing is way more important to me than the "convenience" of not rethreading. Re-threading is really no biggie.

BUT for the OP,

the bucket is useful in ways you (universal you) dont' really anticipate until you have the baby and a better fit for sure. I have a 1 week old 9 lb 21" baby in my arms and he doesn't fit in my Roundabout.
Different strokes for different folks. I HATE rethreading and I have not once washed a cover (dd is 3yrs old now...)

-Angela
#40 of 43 Old 10-13-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Different strokes for different folks. I HATE rethreading and I have not once washed a cover (dd is 3yrs old now...)

-Angela
Can I have your kid? I remember one really bad week I had to wash all 3 seat covers.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#41 of 43 Old 10-13-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
Can I have your kid? I remember one really bad week I had to wash all 3 seat covers.
Ewwww..... well, my kid is a clean freak - she gets it from her mama :

The down side is that she MUST change clothes if they get a spot. And she can't stand to get dirt on her at the playground...

but yeah- she's pretty neat most of the time (knocking wood, crossing fingers - I can't afford to jinx us tonight- we have a wedding tomorrow! )

-Angela
#42 of 43 Old 10-13-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Please consider a bucket for the early months. I am huge Britax fan, but the seats are simply not good fits for a newborn. You need either an infant carrier or a convertible with lower bottom slots.
Agree!

Also, my almost nine pounder didn't outgrow his snugride until he was about 9 months old. I really didn't expect him to make it that long in it.
#43 of 43 Old 10-13-2007, 04:52 PM

My ds was out of his snugride by 3-4 months old, but I have huge kids. If we were going to be using one of the Britax seats I would get a bucket to start with. As it is we will be using the Cosco Scenera from birth to whenever it's outgrown. We already have to buy a new seat for the almost 2 year old as he is about to outgrow the Scenera, which we antcipated when we bought it. I liked the Snugride we used with both older kids, but it has since expired. Based on everything I've heard and space in the vehicle I would go with the newer SafeSeat 1 if we were getting a bucket.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page