When do they switch to a forward facing carseat? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 160 Old 10-20-2008, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccohenou View Post
I'm pretty sure insurance not paying would not be an issue. If car insurance didn't cover the results of negligent or illegal behavior, it would be pretty worthless.
I think the issue might lie in if YOU were to hit someone. Honestly though, we've been in 2 crashes now w/ seats in our car (neither our fault) and not once has anyone asked to see our seats. I know some places ask to have your seat when you get your check for new ones etc. Last time, the guy just looked up our seats online, so the problem would be you'd have to buy a US replacement seat for it that would be comparable, which would be considerably less than what you paid for a Swedish seat.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#152 of 160 Old 10-22-2008, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki Mama View Post
Is the Regent a good choice? I'm a little worried about its enormity for air travel, but we're trying to avoid flying, anyway.
Just a point of order: the Regent is not approved for air travel. It doesn't fit in an airplane seat, so it lacks the FAA sticker. You would definitely need another seat for air travel if you chose the Regent.
#153 of 160 Old 10-22-2008, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
Just a point of order: the Regent is not approved for air travel. It doesn't fit in an airplane seat, so it lacks the FAA sticker. You would definitely need another seat for air travel if you chose the Regent.
Oh, yeah, now I remember that was one of the things I didn't like about it. So many features to consider! Is the SafeGuard seat FAA approved? -- Never mind, I just found out that it is. (Not the folding one, but the regular seat.) But it's expensive, too. Hmmm...

Well, I'm leaning toward never flying again anyway...sorry, family on the East Coast!

mdcblog5.gif Hobo Mama • living on the beach with DP (Jun 98) and DS1 (Jun 07) and DS2 (May 11) familybed2.gif

#154 of 160 Old 10-22-2008, 10:20 AM

Yep, as you found, the safeguard is FAA approved.

Don't remember if I put it in this thread- a couple of places have them on sale for $259.99

-Angela
#155 of 160 Old 10-24-2008, 12:48 PM

Bumping this thread and asking for help...

I'm trying to make the best possible decison for my daughter, who will be 2 1/2 next month. She's currently rearfacing in her convertible which goes to 33 lbs and 36 inches. DD is 35 inches tall but only weighs 23/24 lbs. We have two seats (the same), and two cars. The Tahoe is not a problem, but in my car, a Ford Focus, DD complains of being "too big" for her seat, "uncomfortable", and her legs and arms hurt...

I don't know what to do! I'm afraid if I turn her around in my car, she'll want to be ffing in the Tahoe, too. FWIW, I can see when she's sitting in her seat in my Focus that she truly does look uncomfortable. Somehow we never got much recline on that seat at all, (car too small), and her little chest appears to be pitched over her knees with her head cranked forward. Ugh. The seat already has one noodle under it (the fat kind installed by a tech). Is it possible to SAFELY prop the seat up so she has more room for her head, neck, and chest, not to mention legs??

Is my only option to buy a bigger seat (and figure out what would fit in my car) only to have to flip that one when DD hits the height limit?

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#156 of 160 Old 10-24-2008, 01:47 PM

Hmm... what seat? I would find a way to keep her rf at this point- she's so small still.

-Angela
#157 of 160 Old 10-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Don't remember if I put it in this thread- a couple of places have them on sale for $259.99
I saw that in your review of it somewhere -- sounds like a great seat & a great deal! Thanks.

mdcblog5.gif Hobo Mama • living on the beach with DP (Jun 98) and DS1 (Jun 07) and DS2 (May 11) familybed2.gif

#158 of 160 Old 10-24-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Hmm... what seat? I would find a way to keep her rf at this point- she's so small still.

-Angela
Eddie Bauer convertible. And the weight limit rearfacing is 35 lbs, not 33 (I remembered wrong).

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#159 of 160 Old 10-24-2008, 10:53 PM

I've kept all my kids rear facing till the height limit is reached on their seats. For Janelle this was at 3 1/2, for Kincaid this was at 18 months... I can't keep them rearfacing till the weight limit, cause at 6 years old and 45" Janelle is just now 35lbs. Travis is shorter than she (and slightly lighter) was, and he is in a boulevard where as she had a roundabout, she he may be rearfacing till 5 or so.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#160 of 160 Old 10-24-2008, 11:44 PM

A baby outgrowing a Boulevard at 18 months is extremely rare.

CPST & mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page