RideSafer Travel Vest Car Seat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-06-2007, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody know anything about this? We're taking a plane for Thanksgiving and it seems like a possible alternative to a big bulky booster seat, and possibly even safer. Thanks!

http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/
#2 of 12 Old 11-06-2007, 04:22 PM

I can't address the safety of that particular item, but I was hoping you would clarify what you mean by "booster." You can't use a booster seat on an airplane that I know of. Also, is that item approved for Airplane use?

#3 of 12 Old 11-06-2007, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to family safety

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 12 Old 11-06-2007, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
It is not certified for use on a plane, so I assume you mean for car travel at your destination. I used the vests with my younger two children and they are certainly, portable, but they aren't necessarily easier than a couple of low back boosters. It takes, a few more minutes to get them in the vest and buckled in. If you don't mind this, then they are very convenient, both my kids stuffed their vests in backbacks and carried them on the plane. The RideSafer vest tests very well safety-wise.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 12 Old 11-06-2007, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback everybody! I phased it poorly. I meant how good and safe is it as a booster seat for car use? We're taking a plane from NC to NY with our 4 yo and 7 mo and would rather not lug 2 big bulky car or booster seats on the plane and elsewhere unless necessary.
#6 of 12 Old 11-06-2007, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Okay, four is a little on the young side to be out of a harnessed seat, but the RideSafer does do well in safety tests. The biggest issue you have, if you decide to use one, is the manual specifies that the vest should be tethered when used with children under 6 yo (I think it is 6, I no longer have mine to double check, but I do know it is older than 4). I would be happier having a younger child in a tethered RideSafer than in a belt positioning booster for sure.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#7 of 12 Old 11-06-2007, 06:59 PM

It could be acceptible for your older child, but your infant needs to be in a rear facing seat.
#8 of 12 Old 11-06-2007, 10:29 PM

We have the RSTV for my 5 year old. We like it a lot for travel since it fits in a backpack. It does crash test well (frontal impact only) because kiddo sits so low & far back. It also spreads crash forces out across the entire torso. However, it has absolutely no side impact protection & it is not FAA approved. Neither are booster seats.

What is the child's age, weight, height in question?
#9 of 12 Old 11-08-2007, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Alannah is 4 1/4 yo, 37 lbs, 43".
#10 of 12 Old 11-09-2007, 10:03 AM

Perfect Should be a great travel seat choice for her then ... just remember to use it in the center when possible: either there is a lap/shoulder belt + headrest or top tether anchor for lap-only belt + high enough vehicle seatback such that the top is at least up to eye level (also make sure she doesn't disengage the buckle since it will be easy to reach)

Just out of curiosity, what are your plans for Leela? :

Hope you all have a lovely vacation
#11 of 12 Old 11-10-2007, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Leela will ride in my lap attached to me by the Baby B'Air vest. I know that it's not as good as a car seat, but it would have been expensive to get an airplane seat for her. Hopefully it'll be fine. :
#12 of 12 Old 11-10-2007, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I'm confusing the plane & car again. We might bring Leela's Graco Snugride seat and base. It's awfully wide though, so I doubt that'll fit in a coach seat on the airplane, and it's heavy and bulky to lug. If not, we'll see. We have family with kids in NY and they might have something recent we can borrow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page