I need a convertible seat that turns into a booster - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 11-21-2007, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd is currently in a Britax Roundabout, but she'll outgrow the height limit soon. (I never should've bought the Roundabout in the first place, but I didn't even think about the height limit back then.) She's only 3.5 y.o., so I definitely don't want her in a booster yet. I'd like to find a seat that has a 5 point harness we can use until she's big/old enough for a booster, and then turn the seat into a booster. I found two online. Does anyone know how safe these are? TIA for any opinions!

http://store.babycenter.com/product/...brand&asc=true

http://store.babycenter.com/product/...brand&asc=true
#2 of 44 Old 11-21-2007, 09:58 PM

First, you want a combination seat, not a convertible. Second, neither of those is a good option. You might look at the Apex. http://www.albeebaby.com/sa1stap65bos.html They must've finally sold out of the cheap ones, so you might look around for a better price. You HAVE to have a headrest, or high backed seat w/ this one though, but it harnesses to 65# and then turns into a booster. You might look into a convertible seat though, just b/c you're going to have more options for a seat that harnesses past 40# (will give you more height). Seats like the Radian 65 or the Britax Regent.

ETA: Here's the cheap Apex. http://www.albeebaby.com/sa1stsibiboc.html

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#3 of 44 Old 11-22-2007, 12:29 AM

Yep. As mentioned those are poor choices. The Apex might be okay. In your shoes I would get a regent.

-Angela
#4 of 44 Old 11-22-2007, 09:45 AM

IMO I would go with one of the new Evenflo seats. Inexpensive and higher weight limit in the harness. Both the Titan and Triumph now go to 50lbs..although the harness height is lower on the titan.
While these are not combination seats you could get at least two years from these seats and want need a booster until then.
If you go with any combo seat except the APEX 65 you will be putting your DC in a booster at 40lbs. Not worth the price. You an get a good high back booster from around $50.

HTH.

Denise
#5 of 44 Old 11-22-2007, 03:27 PM

Here are the two that i have been checking out:

http://www.littlebabyshoes.com/677261066220.html
or
http://www.safeguardseat.com/go/index.htm

I think they are about the same cost. It looks like the radian goes up to 49" with the harness and the safeguard goes up to 52". Both are harness seats until 60-65 lbs

Anyone know anything about either of these? Which one would you reccommend?

Thanks for asking this question. You read my mind Riversong.
#6 of 44 Old 11-22-2007, 03:46 PM

There are several of us here that have the Radian, myself included. You'll get many opinions on it. I really like ours for the most part and it works well in our van and for my oldest. I've head the GO is a pitb when using it on a daily basis. You might check out www.car-seat.org for more opinions.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#7 of 44 Old 11-23-2007, 12:36 AM

The radian is a good seat. The *only* real problem is that it can be difficult or even impossible to install in some cars.

-Angela
#8 of 44 Old 11-23-2007, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the site recommendation. The radian looks pretty good to me.
#9 of 44 Old 11-23-2007, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the opinions. The Radian looks good. For those of you who have one- Do your kids find it comfortable? Would it install easily into a bucket seat in a minivan? We have a 2006 Sienna.
#10 of 44 Old 11-23-2007, 09:55 PM

My DS loves his Radian. I have asked him how he feels after a long ride and he doesn't have any complaints.

As for installation, if you have LATCH it shouldn't be an issue to install. I haven't heard of any complication installing it this way. However, you may experience difficulty with installation if you are using a seat belt.

I HTH.

Denise
#11 of 44 Old 11-25-2007, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! That helps. We have LATCH.
#12 of 44 Old 11-25-2007, 10:12 PM

The car seat we are thinking of getting our DS is the Cosco Alpha Omega Elite Convertible car seat. It goes up to 100lbs. $149.88. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3932620

Chelci

Chelci  Anthony, parents to:  E- 11/2006, A- 07/2008, and K- 09/2014.
A Few Facts About Our Family  

#13 of 44 Old 11-25-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH3989 View Post
The car seat we are thinking of getting our DS is the Cosco Alpha Omega Elite Convertible car seat. It goes up to 100lbs. $149.88. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3932620

Chelci
unless your child is incredibly tiny, he/she will likely outgrow the harness on that seat by height by 3 years of age. this is *nowhere* near old enough to ride in it as a belt positioning booster. this seat is really good for a rear facing child, since it is rated to 35 lbs rfing, but other than that it is a terrible choice for a ffing seat, and it makes a really bad booster.
#14 of 44 Old 11-25-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin+babyAndrew View Post
unless your child is incredibly tiny, he/she will likely outgrow the harness on that seat by height by 3 years of age. this is *nowhere* near old enough to ride in it as a belt positioning booster. this seat is really good for a rear facing child, since it is rated to 35 lbs rfing, but other than that it is a terrible choice for a ffing seat, and it makes a really bad booster.
:

And rear facing I would expect most kids to outgrow it by height before 35lbs.

Waste of money. I wouldn't get one.

-Angela
#15 of 44 Old 11-25-2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversong View Post
Thanks! That helps. We have LATCH.
At some point you will have to do a seatbelt install. Currently, lower anchors in vehicles can only be used up to 40/48 pounds (depending on vehicle), and when your child is above that weight, you will have to change the install to a seatbelt. So, you need to make sure that the seat installs in your vehicle well with the seatbelt too.

The only time you wouldn't need to move to a seatbelt install is if your child outgrows the seat by height before they hit the latch weight limit for your vehicle. Not sure how likely or not that is.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#16 of 44 Old 11-26-2007, 06:44 PM

oops I forgot that tidbit of info.

I always forget about that because my vehicles are ancient, and don't even have top tethers let alone LATCH.
#17 of 44 Old 11-27-2007, 01:46 AM

Okay, now i am really thinking about the Apex 65. I went to check them out today and unfortunately they did not have any Apex in stock, but i was able to see the radian and it seems so ridiculously heavy.
Does anyone have an Apex and really like it? Are they pretty bulky or is the size decent?

Let me know what you would do. Apex or Radian?

Thanks.
#18 of 44 Old 11-27-2007, 10:35 AM

hands down the Radian over the Apex, any day. The radian is a really solid seat with a steel structure. The Apex is light for a reason, it's flimsy and not going to protect a child the same way the Radian can in a crash. Plus, the Apex has to have a headrest behind it at all times beacuse it is such a flimsy seat it needs the support to pass crash testing. Craptastic design, IMO.
#19 of 44 Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 PM

Radian over apex. No comparison.

-Angela
#20 of 44 Old 11-27-2007, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post
At some point you will have to do a seatbelt install. Currently, lower anchors in vehicles can only be used up to 40/48 pounds (depending on vehicle), and when your child is above that weight, you will have to change the install to a seatbelt. So, you need to make sure that the seat installs in your vehicle well with the seatbelt too.
Seriously? I just read through the child restraint section in our car manual and it doesn't say anything about a weight limit for the LATCH system. How are people supposed to know this? Do I need to contact Toyota to find out how heavy my kids can be and still use LATCH?

Angela- Why do you say the Radian can be difficult to install in some cars? I assume you're talking about difficult to install with a seatbelt. Or is it something about the way it fits into the seat?
#21 of 44 Old 11-28-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Angela- Why do you say the Radian can be difficult to install in some cars? I assume you're talking about difficult to install with a seatbelt. Or is it something about the way it fits into the seat?
I've just heard countless installing horror stories. Yes, probably most with belt installs.

-Angela
#22 of 44 Old 11-28-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Seriously? I just read through the child restraint section in our car manual and it doesn't say anything about a weight limit for the LATCH system. How are people supposed to know this? Do I need to contact Toyota to find out how heavy my kids can be and still use LATCH?
I actually just found out that most vehicle manuals do NOT state the limit for their latch. How are people supposed to know it? I have NO idea. But yes, you SHOULD contact Toyota to find out the limit of your lower anchors.

The LATCH limits are out there on the internet somewhere, I'll see if I can track them down for you.

#23 of 44 Old 11-28-2007, 12:52 AM

Okay, here are the LATCH limits updated for 2007 http://www.saferidenews.com/pdfs/pg_126_max_wt_07.pdf

Since you have a Toyota, it says you need to follow what your child restraint says. So, you just need to follow what's in the restraint manual. Toyota should tell you the same if you call them.

#24 of 44 Old 11-28-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, TechnoGranola! I will check the manual for whatever combination seat we buy.
#25 of 44 Old 11-29-2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I've just heard countless installing horror stories. Yes, probably most with belt installs.

-Angela
Yep - in some cars it's a breeze to install, in others an absolute nightmare. It's not a seat for the parent who doesn't care about their installations, that's for sure.

It took us literally seconds to install RF in our van, and FOUR AND A HALF HOURS to install it FF. Now that we know the tricks, we've lessened the time to about 10 minutes for a FF installation. (Both were seatbelt installations.)
#26 of 44 Old 11-29-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutekid View Post
My DS loves his Radian. I have asked him how he feels after a long ride and he doesn't have any complaints.

As for installation, if you have LATCH it shouldn't be an issue to install. I haven't heard of any complication installing it this way. However, you may experience difficulty with installation if you are using a seat belt.

I HTH.

Denise
Does your DS sleep comfortably in his seat?
#27 of 44 Old 11-29-2007, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancta View Post
Yep - in some cars it's a breeze to install, in others an absolute nightmare. It's not a seat for the parent who doesn't care about their installations, that's for sure.

It took us literally seconds to install RF in our van, and FOUR AND A HALF HOURS to install it FF. Now that we know the tricks, we've lessened the time to about 10 minutes for a FF installation. (Both were seatbelt installations.)
Yikes! Are your tricks something anyone could use in any car? Do you want to pass them along?
#28 of 44 Old 11-29-2007, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

I just realized that the Radian doesn't turn into a booster, which makes it not what we want.

It looks like the only combination seat recommended here is the Safeguard Go. Has anyone used this? I'm going to go back to the site with the car seat reviews that thepeach80 suggested.
#29 of 44 Old 11-29-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I just realized that the Radian doesn't turn into a booster, which makes it not what we want.

It looks like the only combination seat recommended here is the Safeguard Go. Has anyone used this? I'm going to go back to the site with the car seat reviews that thepeach80 suggested.
Combination seats are rarely really a good choice. Boosters are cheap. Buy a good seat to keep your child harnessed as long as possible. Then choose a booster. It will be a better use of your money.

-Angela
#30 of 44 Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 PM

:

You can get a decent booster for $40-60, esp. when there are sales and you aren't picky about color. Most Combo seats make terrible boosters. The only decent one I can think of is the Recaro Young Sport and that retails for about $250. It also only harnesses to 40 pounds. For that price you could easily get a seat that harnesses to 65 pounds (or more) and a seperate booster. The safeguard go is an okay seat, but only a backless booster. I share one with my sister and we use it fot traveling, but I wouldn't use it all the time, it isn't very comfortable and it is hard to install with a seatbelt.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page