When did you turn your carseat forward facing? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 73 Old 12-30-2007, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That wasn't the case when we were in a sedan with a tall convertible seat. We had to keep it in the passenger side with the front passenger seat moved all the way up. Once dd was older and we could have the seat more upright it helped, but having it properly reclined for a small infant meant the seat took up a LOT of room, much more than an infant seat did.

Of course, I think how much of an issue it is will depend on the model of car, the seat etc.
#62 of 73 Old 12-31-2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
That wasn't the case when we were in a sedan with a tall convertible seat. We had to keep it in the passenger side with the front passenger seat moved all the way up. Once dd was older and we could have the seat more upright it helped, but having it properly reclined for a small infant meant the seat took up a LOT of room, much more than an infant seat did.

Of course, I think how much of an issue it is will depend on the model of car, the seat etc.
Oh yes, I should have clarified- for a young infant where recline is important this is an issue. But for *most* babies, when they outgrow an infant seat they are old enough to not be as reclined.

-Angela
#63 of 73 Old 12-31-2007, 01:26 AM

I turned rachel in one car seat at 11.5 months, and the other at 13-14 months, I think.

She was right at the height limit rf at 11.5 months. My folks had bought a new van, and (I don't drive, and I ride in their vehicle the most.) I tried & tried to get the car seat in rf, it wouldn't go in properly, and I had a ff only seat already, so I figured that'd be safe correctly installed than rf incorrectly installed.

I used the other seat as a spare. At around 13-14, I had to put her rf, as I was putting it in a seat with no tether anchor. When I went to take her out, I looked at where he head was. (right up at the top of the seat, actually hangin over lsightly) I felt so bad for having her rf'ing.

She was still well under the weight limit, but very much too tall.

If I hadn't had the isse with installation, I'd have used her rf'ing seat till she'd outgrown it by height.

The rf'ing seat was a Cosco Touriva, (I think it's cosco?) I think she might still be under the rf weight limit, (she's 33 lbs now), but by September of this year (so a little over 2) she barely fit in it ff, let alone rf'ing.
#64 of 73 Old 12-31-2007, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcat View Post
I turned rachel in one car seat at 11.5 months, and the other at 13-14 months, I think.

She was right at the height limit rf at 11.5 months. My folks had bought a new van, and (I don't drive, and I ride in their vehicle the most.) I tried & tried to get the car seat in rf, it wouldn't go in properly, and I had a ff only seat already, so I figured that'd be safe correctly installed than rf incorrectly installed.

I used the other seat as a spare. At around 13-14, I had to put her rf, as I was putting it in a seat with no tether anchor. When I went to take her out, I looked at where he head was. (right up at the top of the seat, actually hangin over lsightly) I felt so bad for having her rf'ing.

She was still well under the weight limit, but very much too tall.

If I hadn't had the isse with installation, I'd have used her rf'ing seat till she'd outgrown it by height.

The rf'ing seat was a Cosco Touriva, (I think it's cosco?) I think she might still be under the rf weight limit, (she's 33 lbs now), but by September of this year (so a little over 2) she barely fit in it ff, let alone rf'ing.
A great example of why that seat is not a good choice in most situations.

-Angela
#65 of 73 Old 12-31-2007, 12:12 PM

DS was 18 months and 28 lbs and I can't recall but about 34 inches tall.
If I had it to do again I would wait until the limits of his seat. I knew the facts but caved to DH and MIL. Never again.

DD will be 2 in 8 days and is 24 lbs and 32 inches tall and will be RF to limit of her seat which is 30 lbs.
If at that time I am not comfy with her FF, I will break out our seat that RF to 35 lbs provided its not expired, or hopefully by that time Canada will have some higher weight RF seats again.
#66 of 73 Old 12-31-2007, 10:28 PM

After her 4th birthday :
#67 of 73 Old 01-01-2008, 02:40 AM

We turned DS1 on his first bday (about 27 lbs and i dunno how tall). He was a carseat hater, and I didn't know about it being so much safer to remain rearfacing.

We turned DD at 18 months and about 30 lbs, or whatever the limit was on her carseat at the time. (It wasn't a great seat - it was from DS1 and still had the pull down sheild that i no longer recommended)

DS2 is 27 months, 24.5 lbs, and 32 inches tall and will continue to rearface for the forseeable future.
#68 of 73 Old 01-02-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
IME an infant seat usually takes up at LEAST as much room as a RF convertible. If you can fit an infant seat, you should be able to have a RF convertible- no problem.

-Angela
Thanks. That's not the problem though. We have plenty of room up front & that's not a concern. The carseats will fit fine which is great. The problem is that it is a 2 door 02 Chevy Blazer with only 2 backseats. I'm trying to figure out how to get a 2yo & 6mo old into the back of a 2 door SUV & into RFing seats. I'm too short to climb in & out of the cargo area with 2 babies & can't figure out how to climb in with them & get them buckled on outings on our own. With DF with us we could probably manage since he's super tall or if there were a middle seat back there. I wish I had pics. Maybe I'll take some & start a new thread. Hopefully you & some others can help me with that strategy.
#69 of 73 Old 01-02-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognito View Post
Thanks. That's not the problem though. We have plenty of room up front & that's not a concern. The carseats will fit fine which is great. The problem is that it is a 2 door 02 Chevy Blazer with only 2 backseats. I'm trying to figure out how to get a 2yo & 6mo old into the back of a 2 door SUV & into RFing seats. I'm too short to climb in & out of the cargo area with 2 babies & can't figure out how to climb in with them & get them buckled on outings on our own. With DF with us we could probably manage since he's super tall or if there were a middle seat back there. I wish I had pics. Maybe I'll take some & start a new thread. Hopefully you & some others can help me with that strategy.
How do you get the 2yr old in now? I might try putting the 2yr old in the car to wait while you buckle the baby, then putting the 2 yr old in.

Link to here when you post pictures and maybe I'll have some great idea...

-Angela
#70 of 73 Old 01-02-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
How do you get the 2yr old in now? I might try putting the 2yr old in the car to wait while you buckle the baby, then putting the 2 yr old in.

Link to here when you post pictures and maybe I'll have some great idea...

-Angela
He's 1yo now and there's an open backseat. I'm planning ahead for when our May 08 Baby is done with the bucket.
With just Milo I lift him in, then climb in, then sit in the open seat, put him in the carseat & climb out. There's room to work with with one carseat, but once we get to 2 convertibles it will be different. It's getting tricky as my belly grows also. I'll definitely start a new thread with pics. We're traveling this weekend & I need some ERF pics for a different site I post on too.
#71 of 73 Old 01-04-2008, 12:06 PM

dd was almost 2 and 22lbs. (I didn't know better. )

ds1 was 3 and 30lbs.

ds2 is 3.5 and 26lbs. and STILL rfing!
#72 of 73 Old 01-05-2008, 02:12 AM

I turned my twin DDs at 13 months out of necessity. They moved to the 3rd row of our Yukon XL when I had DS. At the time, we had AO seats, which I hated with a passion. I could NOT get those things installed even remotely secure RF. I could get FF no problem (though I still hated those seats for other reasons). I figured correctly installed FF was better than loose RF, not to mention I had to climb through the cargo area to get them IN the seats while they were RF in the 3rd row. I would have continued to climb through doing that if the stupid things would have fit though.

When DS was 15 months old and twin DDs were 2y4m, we got Marathons for all three of them. The girls remained FF in the 3rd row. I didn't even attempt RF with the girls in the 3rd row, it just didn't occur to me after they'd been FF for so long by that point.

I never could really get a great RF install with that seat in my captain's chair, which is where 15 month old DS sat. My car seat tech friend could get it in there, but it would loosen in less than a week. So, I turned DS FF at about 18 months.

Currently, I've got my 6 year old twins in Regents in the 3rd row and 5 year old DS in a Regent in one captain's chair. They were all three in Parkway boosters, but they just don't sit in them correctly, thus the recent move back to a 5 point harness. Best $720 I've spent in a long time!

I've got my 13 month old DD RF in a Boulevard. For whatever reason, I'm not having a bit of trouble with it installed RF like I did the Marathon, so she'll stay RF til she's at least 2 (unless she outgrows it RF before then, which is highly unlikely as she's only 20 pounds right now).
#73 of 73 Old 01-08-2008, 11:37 PM

DS1 was 33lbs and 23months
DS2 will RF until he's 35lb.

~laura
and planning to eat it again

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page