When did you turn your carseat forward facing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure where this belongs, so move it if necessary!

DS turned 1 a few weeks ago, and he is 26 lbs. We have a Britax Marathon that can stay rear facing up to 33 lbs, but DS has really long legs, and is quite cramped in the RF position. I know the "legal" standard for forward facing is 1yr/20lbs so we're ok there, but I also know the longer they stay RF, the safer it is! Soooo...how old was your DC when you turned their seat around? Thanks!

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
#2 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 03:19 AM

DD isn't 20lbs yet - she is 13 months. I plan to weigh her again when she's 18 months. If she's over 20lbs then - I will turn her around.
#3 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 03:21 AM

DS is 20mos and in the 26lb vicinity. We have a Radian80 that goes rear-facing until 33lb. We will turn the carseat around when DS reaches the RF weight limit.
#4 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 03:39 AM

DD is 20 months and maybe 25lbs. She's in a Britax marathon and will stay rearfacing until the weight limit.

Her legs also have to be crossed when she's in there but it's really no big deal for them.....it's better to be safer!

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
#5 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 04:07 AM

DS is 13 months and 21 lbs and still rear facing. My goal is for him to stay rear facing until he reaches the limits or a minimum of 2 years.
#6 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 04:32 AM

Please leave him rear facing until he grows out of your seats rear facing capacity. I know it can be tempting to turn our lo around but they are really not uncomfortable with their legs crossed, they are much more flexable then adults. Also, please keep him in a 5 point harness as long as possible when you turn him around. Kids are not ready for boosters at 40lbs. Here are some links that can give you more info.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ
http://www.car-seat.org/
#7 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 04:34 AM

We turned DS when he weighed 32 lbs. I have a tall baby and he just made room for his legs rear facing...I was bummed that he *is* that big already and I couldn't keep him RF longer.
#8 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 05:08 AM

What do you mean by cramped? Can he sit cross legged? There should be plenty of room to sit like this. Or a variety of other ways. It is designed to accomodate the child. Does your child complain? If not, I would leave it rearfacing and not worry about it. He can sit with his legs tucked in. I waited until the limit for safety reasons.

This is a post of mine from an old thread like this:
Quote:
Quote:
Rear-facing is the safest position the child can ride in. It is recommended that all children stay rear-facing beyond the minimal requirements of 1 year and 20 lbs, and not be turned forward-facing before they reach the maximum rear-facing limits of a convertible seat - either the maximum rear-facing weight limit or when the top of their head is within one inch of the top of the seat shell. While most parents are aware that they must keep their children rear-facing "until they are AT LEAST 1 year old AND 20 lbs", very few are told that there are significant safety benefits when a child remains rear-facing as long as the seat allows. For most children, rear-facing can and should continue well into the second year of life.
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/StayRearFacing.aspx (bold mine )

Also some excellent articles, and if you scroll down SCARY crash test footage of each kind.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=261168

Other interesting links:
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages..._is_safest.htm
http://journeytocrunchville.wordpres...s-rear-facing/
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=216441

Quote:
Crash data shows us that anybody is safer in a crash when riding rear-facing for the reasons we outlined above. Even though your baby's neck is now strong enough to withstand the forward-facing crash forces, he or she is still better protected in a rear-facing car seat because that seat still distributes the force over a greater body area and still gives better support to their young head and neck.

A forward-facing car seat is safe after one year AND 20 pounds, but a rear-facing car seat is safer. According to NHTSA, a rear-facing car seat is 71 percent safer than no restraint at all, and a forward-facing car seat is 54 percent safer than no restraint at all. Keeping your baby rear-facing to the limit of the seat is the safest choice.
http://babyproducts.about.com/od/car...ear_facing.htm

I would keep the carseat rearfacing for safety reasons if possible.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#9 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 05:17 AM

I turned the twins when they were 2 and I had to put them in the back row of our car (my parents came and adults can't sit in the back row, and their seats won't RF in the back row). They were 22ish lbs each?

I turned Rivka when she was 2 because it was difficult to get the seats in teh car any other way. I could turn her back around now that the twins are back in the 3rd row, but I am waiting to see how the baby's seat fits in the picture before I make any changes. She's about 23 lbs now.

Honest answer : I'm planning on leaving the baby RF a lot longer b/c we won't be switching around cars / seats / etc. so much.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#10 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 10:36 AM

Not yet at 21 months and 23 pounds. The earliest I would consider is 2 years.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#11 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 11:04 AM

We have a Britax Roundabout. Liam is such a small kid for his age that I kept him rear facing until he was a little over 2 years old. I would say he probably weighed about 22 pounds then, but he has super long legs and a super long torso, so he just didnt sit right when rear facing any longer.

Sad for me, when I turned him forward, he quit napping on the 3 hour trip to my parent's house..hahaha. Too much too see out the front window!
#12 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 11:14 AM

My Little guy will be two next month and he is 27 lbs. He is still backwards and will be until 35 lbs.

I did turn him forward at a year and then did more research and flipped him backwards again. He never fought me on either

He is MUCH safer.
#13 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 11:19 AM

Not yet. 18 mos and 21ish pounds. I rather suspect my DD will outgrow by height than weight.

My DD just folds her legs or hangs them over the sides.
#14 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 11:24 AM

My D is 27 months, 30 pounds and about 35" tall, still rear-facing. She usually crosses her legs in the seat.
#15 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 11:47 AM

DD is 34" and 25 lbs and 17 mos, and is still RF. She still seems OK and not too cramped so no plans to change her to FF anytime soon. (We also have the Britax marathon, with upper RF limit 33 lbs and 49").
#16 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzie2 View Post
DD is 20 months and maybe 25lbs. She's in a Britax marathon and will stay rearfacing until the weight limit.

Her legs also have to be crossed when she's in there but it's really no big deal for them.....it's better to be safer!
Same here, though our LO isn't quite as big yet and we're in the Decathlon, but she'll be RFing until she's 33lbs.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#17 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 12:46 PM

My toddler is 2 yrs. old, 36" and about 30 lbs. (fluctuates 29-31) and rear-facing in a Radian 65. I won't turn him a second before he reaches 33 lbs. and then, I'll curse the weight limit. It is SO much safer, I wish I could have my ~5 yr. old rear-facing still (unfortunately he's 44" and 44 lbs). Also my older son says FF-ing is uncomfortable because his legs dangle (which he tries to remedy by putting them on the armrests and seats in front of them, to my partner's dismay).
#18 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much! I'm so glad I asked here rather than let pressure from family & friends get to me. Can you believe? Pressure about the position of his car seat! Sheesh!

I never thought to cross his legs! Genious!

I will definitely leave him RF as long as possible.

THANK YOU!!!!

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
#19 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 12:47 PM

My dd is nearly 3.5yrs. She's about 38" tall and 31lbs. She is still RF.

I would not turn a child before 2 years without other reasons (serious medical conditions, outgrowing seat etc)

In general I will keep my kids RF to the upper limits of their seats.

-Angela
#20 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 01:30 PM

Dd is 25 months old and weighs 18 lbs. She is still rf and we plan to keep her that way for a loooong time.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#21 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 01:42 PM

Wow- I'm so glad to see so many mamas leaving their little ones rear facing!! I'm a car seat phantic and it seems that people are always looking at me like I'm crazy when I tell them my almost 14 month old is rear facing at 23lbs
#22 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 02:15 PM

Right before Christmas I went and had my son's car seat checked by a certified person, since we were going on a far drive. I was ready to put up a fight to keep him rear facing, but she confirmed that you should keep them RF for as long as possible. And this person is trained by the state....so feel free to use that info against anyone you wants YOUR child FF
#23 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 02:48 PM

We turned DD when she reached the weight limit (33 pounds). She was nearly 3 years old. She just crossed her legs. In fact, when we turned her, she complained loudly because her legs just hung down and she didn't have anywhere to put her feet!
#24 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I turned DS forward facing when he wa 2. 17 month old DD is still rear-facing and will be for quite some time.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#25 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 03:15 PM

Ds turns 4 yrs in 4 weeks and he is still RF. He weighs 31lbs so I still have at least a lb to go.
#26 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 03:16 PM

Mine just turned 2 and I am going to turn DS FF this week as he is hitting the RF limit for the Marathon. DD might get another month or so. They just fold their legs and though it might look a little odd, it doesn't seem to bother them at all.

I'm bummed that I have suck chunky monkeys. I'd love to keep them RF longer.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#27 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 03:22 PM

My DS will turn 3 in a couple of months, but weighs 28lbs. He is still RF, first in a Britax Rondabout and now in a Radian. It is so much safter, now that I know more, so he is staying that way till he reaches the limit of the seat. In addition my 7 and almost 6 year old still travel in 5pt harnessed seats, (although the 7 year old has a booster seat for school trips etc.)

:SaHM to 3 *DD* DD2 * DS
#28 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpenny1001 View Post
We turned DD when she reached the weight limit (33 pounds). She was nearly 3 years old. She just crossed her legs. In fact, when we turned her, she complained loudly because her legs just hung down and she didn't have anywhere to put her feet!
I've actually heard this that they are less comfortable with the dangling legs. We are 23 months old, 24 pounds and pretty tall RF in a Boulevard. She'll RF to 33#, although I may re-evaluate around age 4 if she's still small.
#29 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 03:56 PM

We have a Britax Boulevard. I wanted to keep her RF until the weight limit. It didn't work out. I posted all about it here and got a lot of support for the decision to turn her. She was 20-21 mos when we turned the seat (so just in the past month or so) and things have been going much better. Mainly, my escape artist can no longer get herself completely out of the seat and up to standing; and she no longer screams herself in absolute hysteria and misery every second we're driving.

I'm hoping we can keep the next one RF longer. I feel we made the best decision we could under the circumstances, though, for dd.
#30 of 73 Old 12-28-2007, 03:56 PM

My 28 month old is still rear facing. The limit on my seat is 30 pounds and he is at 28.5, so I think we're going to turn it around this weekend.

Makes me sad I wish I could go out and buy a Britax to keep him RF just a little longer, but I don't think hubby will go for that for 5 more pounds.

He will be getting a Regent though when our next baby needs to move into his carseat. That way I can keep him harnessed for a long, long time

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page