Car seat tech - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 03-30-2008, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I just have to say that I our techs here on MDC.

Thank you ladies!

-Angela
The techs on MDC have given me the desire to take the tech class myself. So that I can actually have some "credentials" to back up what I'm constantly telling friends and family about ERF and HWH.

And to the OP, good for you for turning your son back RF. My 29 pounds, 33 inch nearly 16 month-old is still RFing, and I hope he will be for some time yet.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 46 Old 03-31-2008, 12:04 AM

I got a new seat from safekids last week. There was a state police officer helping out (not sure if he was a trained tech, I don't think so, but he was there to help the SK coordinator. He questioned why I wanted my 19mo 27lb ds rear facing and I informed him that 12mo/20lb was the bare minimum and not considered safe. I hope that he remembers and doesn't encourage ff to anyone else. The SK coordinator agreed with me on that. But then she told me that my 7yo seat could still be used for awhile longer, but I'd have to use it ff because ds was too big for it rf. I'm getting rid of it since we have the new seat. I was really scared for the other parents who probably don't know all this. I just learned it all in the past month from the techs her on mdc.
#33 of 46 Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
I'm surpised at the car seat techs here at MDC automatically assuming the tech in this case was wrong without seeing the child, the seat and the car. My husband is a SafeKids car seat instructor near this tech and we have heard the other side. The tech did nothing wrong.

There are differing opinions on both sides of the rear facing issue after 12 months of age. There are a number of factors to be considered, including the parental decision - my understanding of this case was that the technician informed the parent of the option to either have the seat forward or rear facing (totally appropriate according to the guidelines and this child's size and age) and the father made the decision to have the seat turned around after discussion of both sides of the issue.
Nope, in SK there is no other side. Safe Kids ONLY promotes rfing till the limits of the seat, BEST PRACTICE. Now unfortunately some techs don't keep up w/ their info or choose not to promote best practice and they shouldn't be techs in that case. I don't even give parents the option of turning their child around when they come in. I tell them they're safest rfing and that's what I reccomend, I don't even talk about ffing unless it's brought up. Then I mention my own 3yo who is still rfing and will be for another 18 mos+! There are also no studies showing ffing is safer, especially if you're comparing broken legs to broken necks. That's a no brainer IMO, but I'd love to see your sources...

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#34 of 46 Old 03-31-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandynee22 View Post

(to answer other stuff)

No, Andrew wasn't there. The tech was told his age and size.
He isn't my husband, not that it matters- just clearing it up.
I know that the tech did say it. Richie (Andrew's dad) thought RF was best (since that's what I told him) up until that time

The seat has been turned back to rear facing :-)
This just sounds like a bad tech. My friend wanted to get a seat put in her car for me to use. My DS wasn't with her so she had to say her daughter (the same age hieght as my DS) would be riding in the seat. The techs at this particular fire station didn't install any seat without the child there. I also thought that was how things were done. Even when I had to have my radian moved from car to the other the techs wanted to know if my child was the only one going to ride in the seat. Even though the straps were still adjusted they checked all of that before giving the official OKAY!!! The frustrating thing about that trip though was the techs had never seen a Radian before and asked me a bunch of questions. I guess extended harnessing hasn't gotten around to the general public. I told the techs I had read the manual more times than I wish to admit too. Actually I reread it every time I move it to another vehicle.

Denise
#35 of 46 Old 03-31-2008, 06:39 PM

Well for my two cents...apparently in canada there has been only ONE instance of a child in a rear-facing seat breaking his legs - he was also the SOLE survivor of that car collision.
#36 of 46 Old 03-31-2008, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancat View Post
Well for my two cents...apparently in canada there has been ONE instance of a child in a rear-facing seat breaking his legs - he was also the SOLE survivor of that car collision.
And most likely would not have survived forward facing...

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#37 of 46 Old 03-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well for my two cents...apparently in canada there has been ONE instance of a child in a rear-facing seat breaking his legs - he was also the SOLE survivor of that car collision.
Probably wouldn't have survived foward facing. We also have no way of knowing if the seat was the correct size for him, if it was improperly installed, and if the fractures were due to other reasons.
#38 of 46 Old 03-31-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutekid View Post
This just sounds like a bad tech. My friend wanted to get a seat put in her car for me to use. My DS wasn't with her so she had to say her daughter (the same age hieght as my DS) would be riding in the seat. The techs at this particular fire station didn't install any seat without the child there. I also thought that was how things were done. Even when I had to have my radian moved from car to the other the techs wanted to know if my child was the only one going to ride in the seat. Even though the straps were still adjusted they checked all of that before giving the official OKAY!!! The frustrating thing about that trip though was the techs had never seen a Radian before and asked me a bunch of questions. I guess extended harnessing hasn't gotten around to the general public. I told the techs I had read the manual more times than I wish to admit too. Actually I reread it every time I move it to another vehicle.

Denise

They are supposed to be there but since I wasn't sure if it was installed correctly, I couldn't let him ride in it. (I really kind of don't understand why they insist the child be there if what? 80% are installed wrong in the first placce?)

When he brought his car back to my house, I flipped it and read the manual for his car and for the seat several times and just kept readjusting until it wouldn't move at all. This seat is just a pain because of how you thread it. My knuckles looked like I'd been in a fight by the time I was done from putting my hand through LOL

I had taken my seat at an earlier date to have it checked and they did check all of the straps and everything- I was actually pretty psyched because he said he rarely sees any that are installed correctly but mine was.

I went to the same station and I thought the man had said that there was only one tech- however, I later found out that there are more. In hindsight, I bet he said he was the only one THERE. THAT tech was excellent (aside from -rightfully- reprimanding me about all the floaters in my car)

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#39 of 46 Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 PM

We like the child there, especially w/ ffing seat b/c we want to make sure the child fits in the seat and the straps are set right etc. W/ a rfing seat it's easy to change the straps w/out moving them and in the new Triumph, you don't rethread at all. I would never tell a parent I couldn't help them b/c the child wasn't there, but I would make sure to tell them where the straps needed to be and make sure they understand that so they can check when they get home.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#40 of 46 Old 03-31-2008, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
I'm surpised at the car seat techs here at MDC automatically assuming the tech in this case was wrong without seeing the child, the seat and the car. My husband is a SafeKids car seat instructor near this tech and we have heard the other side. The tech did nothing wrong.

There are differing opinions on both sides of the rear facing issue after 12 months of age. There are a number of factors to be considered, including the parental decision - my understanding of this case was that the technician informed the parent of the option to either have the seat forward or rear facing (totally appropriate according to the guidelines and this child's size and age) and the father made the decision to have the seat turned around after discussion of both sides of the issue.
I just noticed this part- are you sure you're talking about my case?
He was told that after a certain size, the impact of being rear facing is worse than being forward facing. He was also never contacted for any kind of followup or anything and it sounds like what you're speaking of may have had some kind of investigation- or I'm misunderstanding but that is what I got from you saying you've heard the other side.
He did OK the move to forward facing (I never said otherwise)- because he was told by someone who's supposed to be educated on the subject that Andrew would quite possibly break his legs if he got into a crash. He still has doubts that I know what I'm talking about because of what this tech told him... luckily, he has no choice but to keep him rear facing.
When someone is told that it's dangerous to do something but "Hey, you can if you want..." it really doesn't make it easy to disagree.
The interesting thing is I had my seat inspected just days before... and rear facing was fine then with the other tech.

As for the whole parental decision thing.. well, I'm just of the opinion that some things are not up for debate and some things shouldn't have the option of "decision"

#41 of 46 Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Probably wouldn't have survived foward facing. We also have no way of knowing if the seat was the correct size for him, if it was improperly installed, and if the fractures were due to other reasons.
Actually, that was the implication of my post, that he got off LIGHT because he was rear-facing....

I think the seat was properly installed, I got the info from the defect investigator for child seats in canada (she was demonstrating how safe ERF was).
#42 of 46 Old 03-31-2008, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Actually, that was the implication of my post, that he got off LIGHT because he was rear-facing....

I think the seat was properly installed, I got the info from the defect investigator for child seats in canada (she was demonstrating how safe ERF was).
Yeah, I know, I was backing you up
#43 of 46 Old 03-31-2008, 10:07 PM

Thanks...I re-read it (and edited it) and realized it could have been read the wrong way...silly sleep-deprived me!
#44 of 46 Old 03-31-2008, 10:29 PM

I had a team of two techs work on my new car seat after my car was hit. Though it met all the criteria for keeping the car seat, we wanted it replaced, and the other guy's insurance paid for it, since he was 100% at fault.

One tech was incredulous that I still had my 16-month-old, 22ish pound baby rear facing. Said he had NEVER seen a baby rearfacing that long. I relaly had to set him straight. The other tech said he was ready to jump in and back me up, but I said everything he was going to say - he even said he was going to steal my line about 1 year/20 pounds being the bare minimum, and I want to give my baby the best of everything, not the bare minimum.

I told the tech how I'd much rather have to deal with a broken leg from DD being rearfacing than a broken neck - or worse. That she's far safer RFing for as long as possible. He tried to show me something on the side that said RFing up to 20 pounds, but according to the manual, my seat limit is 30 pounds.

The second tech commended me for being educated and vigilant - he said usually the people arguing with the techs are trying to get the OK to FF their 18-pound 9-MO as "close enough."
#45 of 46 Old 04-01-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post

The second tech commended me for being educated and vigilant - he said usually the people arguing with the techs are trying to get the OK to FF their 18-pound 9-MO as "close enough."
I know a few people who've done this. "He was 19lbs at 9 months old, so I think he's okay. I think I know what's best for my child." Okay, and I think you're a flippin' moron. IMO, to not know and do is one thing-- to have the info presented to you, yet refuse to make the safer choice, is terrible. Safety shouldn't be upon the parents disgression. She argued "Well he's almost a year now and he's 22lbs." : My sister turned my niece, at 19lbs, and 1 year. Her ped told her to. Another friend's ped told her it was okay to turn her 13 month old, because she was almost 20lbs anyway. I think the education process needs to start with the peds, because so many parents just blindly follow what their peds says.

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#46 of 46 Old 04-01-2008, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
I had a team of two techs work on my new car seat after my car was hit. Though it met all the criteria for keeping the car seat, we wanted it replaced, and the other guy's insurance paid for it, since he was 100% at fault.

One tech was incredulous that I still had my 16-month-old, 22ish pound baby rear facing. Said he had NEVER seen a baby rearfacing that long. I relaly had to set him straight. The other tech said he was ready to jump in and back me up, but I said everything he was going to say - he even said he was going to steal my line about 1 year/20 pounds being the bare minimum, and I want to give my baby the best of everything, not the bare minimum.
I told the tech how I'd much rather have to deal with a broken leg from DD being rearfacing than a broken neck - or worse. That she's far safer RFing for as long as possible. He tried to show me something on the side that said RFing up to 20 pounds, but according to the manual, my seat limit is 30 pounds.

I love that quote (bolding mine)
I think I'll steal it, myself :-)
You know, seeing as how they're all trained by the same company (aren't the all by safe kids?) You would think they'd use the same information.
Even the SK website says they know of no cases of broken legs BECAUSE of RF

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page