When to graduate - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2008, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At the moment DD is in a Graco ComfortSport (though the pics I found online look a bit different than hers). She is almost 4 now (no idea about her weight) and the top of her head is just about over the top of the back of the seat. Is it time to move on to a booster?

Most likely, when she moved into a booster it will not be a 5 point harness type (the only 5 pts i have seen here are prohibitively expensive*) so I am not in a rush to move her, but I don't want to use the seat too far past it's limit either. She has been complaining lately about the seat being uncomfortable, but I probably mostly need to loosen the straps.

One other question, there are 2 slots for the crotch strap. Is there a guideline about when, or if you move the strap to the bigger setting?

* - here is in the West Indies, it is only in the last year or so I have seen boosters available at all, car seats are not law, and between shipping and mark-up on low turnover items, prices are considerably higher than you would pay in the US.

nothing more to say I guess :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 03:10 PM

I can't believe she still fits in it. As long as she is under 40# and her shoulders are under the top slots of the seat, she's fine. AJ was 2 when he would've outgrown that seat in height and Evan would've just outgrown it at just over 34".

While it's not reccomended to move children to a booster till at least age 4 AND 40#, I can see where you would have a problem. She definitely needs a booster vs just a seatbelt, but the longer she stays in the carseat (assuming she still fits correctly) the better.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 01-15-2008, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, her shoulders are still below the top slots. So the car seat can last a bit longer, Good

What about the crotch straps?

Old 01-15-2008, 11:35 AM

You want the crotch strap as close to her body as possible. If he complains about it, you can move it out, but that's what keeps her body from slouching forward in the seat.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 01-16-2008, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

cool, thanks for all the info

She still has plenty room, even with the closer setting, I guess i was just wondering, since there are 2 settings, if it wasn't time to change something.

Maybe, by the time she is ready for a booster we will have a better range of choices here (they are becoming a bit more fashionable lately, probably because of access to the internet and the fact that the US dominates parenting sites, I normally complain about US cultural imperialism, but this one is good )

User Tag List