Mothering Forum banner

Where is your carseat?

2K views 40 replies 35 participants last post by  angelcat 
#1 ·
For the lovely toddlers. Do you put it still in the middle? Or do you feel safer on the ends (behind driver/passenger). I've heard different opinions. What are yours?

#30 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neth Naneth View Post
In the middle front facing
because he is too tall to be rear facing.
What seat do you have? Most children fit RFing by height until long after the weight limit (33 or 35 lbs.) in all but a handful of smaller, low weight limit seats (which will be outgrown by height FFing soon anyway and need replacing). I'd recommend a new seat if your 18 mo. old has outgrown a seat rear-facing already. Good choices include the Evenflo Triumph Advance, the Fisher Price Safe Voyage, the Sunshine Kids Radian 65, the Britax Boulevard, and the Recaro Como. I have NEVER seen a <2 yr. old that would be too tall to RF in any of those seats.
My 36" tall, 31 lb. 2 yr. old is comfortably rear-facing in a Radian 65 and will be until he hits 33 lbs.

#33 ·
Since I have (almost!) 4 kids this is the setup in our honda odyssey minivan

DD #1 (6yrs) in the very back row on the driver's side. (in britax pkwy booster)

DD#2 (3yrs)is FF in the very back row on the passenger's side (in britax marathon)

DS (17 months) is RF in the captain chair behind the driver's seat (in britax marathon)

Baby (not yet born- but anyday) will be in the captain chair behind the passenger's seat (in chicco keyfit 30)

#34 ·
Milo rides in several vehicles.

1) 02 Chevy Blazer with only 2 backseats & our primary vehicle. He is RFing behind the driver's seat. Seatbelt install.

2) 99 GMC Jimmy which doesn't allow carseats in the center. He is RFing behind the driver's seat. Seatbelt install.

3) 06 Chevy Aveo. He rides RFing in the center position. Seatbelt install.

4) 91 Ford Bronco XLT. He rides behind the driver's seat because the seat installs best there. Seatbelt install.

Jareth will be here in May so we may have to make some adjustments.

#35 ·
2 vehicles here for our 2.5 year old (FF now):

In our SUV: Passenger seat - no tethers allowed in centre for FF. She was RF in the centre however. Although I wouldn't make it a reason to go on the side, it's certainly much easier to get her in the seat when it's high up.

In our smallish-size sedan - Centre still - and yes, it's more difficult to get her in and out, but lately she can climb in/out by herself.

#39 ·
our DD is forward facing (too heavy at 31 lbs in Canada to rear face any longer) in her Marathon behind the drivers seat.

We get a WAY WAY WAY better install outboard than in the centre. She used to be on the passenger side but we street park and getting her into the passenger side was meant that we had to scale 3 foot snowbanks for awhile and my pants were getting too wet. Plus it's really hard to carry a toddler over a big snowbank, get the door open and get the kid in when you're in your 3rd trimester of pregnancy. I hate having to stand in traffic and buckle her in but has it ever made getting her in and out easier! At least we park mostly on a quiet residential street!

(and don't forget, most cars do NOT allow LATCH installations in the middle)

#41 ·
One carseat, (an evenflo) is ff in the middle of the backseat in my parents van.

Her other seat, is also ff. Where it goes depends on the vehicle, and if there are other carseats already there etc. It's been in 6 different cars this week.

Sometimes she also rides in other car seats too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.