Would you booster a 3 year old - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 88 Old 02-19-2008, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren View Post
I just now ordered a Graco Nautilus though that I am assuming will fit him.
:
#62 of 88 Old 02-19-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
:
Thanks
So, what should I be looking for in terms of a good fit? The straps should be a certain amount above his shoulders right?
TIA
#63 of 88 Old 02-19-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks
So, what should I be looking for in terms of a good fit? The straps should be a certain amount above his shoulders right?
TIA
Even with or above his shoulders means the straps are at the right height!
My 5 yr. old is about the same weight, and a few inches taller than your son and he fits fine into smaller seats than the Nautilus, so you should be set for a while!
#64 of 88 Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
Your 2 year olds seriously don't fit in the Regent???? The seat that a lot of 8-10 year olds fit in just fine? Wow. Not being judgemental, but you've got some large kids there!
Yeah, that. I would have to see it to believe it. My 4 year old is in the Regent with many more years to go. I can't even picture a 2 year old being too big for it. There are twin 1 1/2 year olds in the daycare I work at. They are some hefty kids (each weighs more than my 4 year old does) but they would definately fit in the Regent for years still.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#65 of 88 Old 02-19-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama View Post
Even with or above his shoulders means the straps are at the right height!
My 5 yr. old is about the same weight, and a few inches taller than your son and he fits fine into smaller seats than the Nautilus, so you should be set for a while!
#66 of 88 Old 02-19-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Well, I have to say that I am hugely embarrased but I want to thank you all for this thread. Maybe I shouldn't admit this but I had my 3 year old in a booster. He's (approx) 41 inches tall and 46-47 lbs and I thought it was appropriate. I'm so upset thinking that he hasn't been safe. We don't go out a lot but still. I don't know if I live in a bubble or what. I guess I probably thought it was the age OR the weight that was the guideline. I don't know. I just now ordered a Graco Nautilus though that I am assuming will fit him.
No flames please. Thanks guys
Flames are reserved for those who know better and choose not to do what's safest. You are one of many who did not know, but now does and chooses to do better. I can openly admit I had my oldest son ffing at 11 mos old. He went back rfing at 26 mos when I learned better and stayed that way till 34 mos. AJ is 41.5" and is still on the 3rd slot of the Nautilus, he has plenty of growing room left in it!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#67 of 88 Old 02-19-2008, 11:34 PM

So how big a deal is it really to have a 4 year old in a booster on occassion? I don't own a car and we use public transit everywhere. And we live in a high rise, no garage or patio or extra space. We're in my parents car probably once every other week and other vehicles maybe once every 1 to 2 months. So I'd use the booster probably 8 times a year, maybe once a year for 3-4 days in a row when we visit in-laws.

I've been thinking of leaving DDs car seat in my parents car along with DS' car seat base. And I was thinking I'd do a Compass folding booster seat for dd for the rare times we use a car that is not my parents. A folding booster I might even be able to take in a taxi!

But the take on here seems to be that boosters are dangerous. So I don't know.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#68 of 88 Old 02-19-2008, 11:45 PM

Boosters aren't dangerous w/ a child who is old enough to use one, but when you're talking about using the car several times a day, harnessing is going to be safer b/c the chances of getting into a crash are obviously greater. It's maybe 1 day a week when my kids don't use the car, it's usually 3-4 trips a day around town for school and work, swim lessons etc. I just got a booster in the mail today for AJ to use if necessary in MIL's car. She has only taken him like 1x and I think by this summer he'll be fine if she needs to take him to soccer or something, but I wouldn't want him in one full time.

#69 of 88 Old 02-20-2008, 10:27 AM

What are some good brands of car seats that you can safely harness them in over 40 lbs? As my son is 2 & just about 40 lbs meaning I am going to have to change his Alpha Omega Elite to a booster for it to be safe still. I do not feel he is old enough.
Thanks
Brekka
#70 of 88 Old 02-20-2008, 11:47 AM

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/Over40.aspx

These are all of them I think. If you don't need it to rf, I'd look at the Graco Nautilus or the Britax Regent. We have a Sunshine Kids Radian 65, a Britax Marathon, and a Britax Boulevard, all harness to 65#.

#71 of 88 Old 02-20-2008, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
She can't RF him if he's close to 40 lbs! The Nautilus or Regent will last him longer (the Regent will harness forever, the Nautilus for a bit less time but then converts to a HBB and LBB). I also love my SKR65 (though for a 40 lb 2 yo maybe the 80?). And the britaxes are great as well.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#72 of 88 Old 02-20-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
She can't RF him if he's close to 40 lbs! The Nautilus or Regent will last him longer (the Regent will harness forever, the Nautilus for a bit less time but then converts to a HBB and LBB). I also love my SKR65 (though for a 40 lb 2 yo maybe the 80?). And the britaxes are great as well.
I was thinking more along the lines of passing it to another sibling later etc. I know he can't rf at almost 40#, though Sunshine Kids is supposed to be working on a 40# limit.

#73 of 88 Old 02-22-2008, 11:40 AM

I didn't have a chance to read all the messages, but last Friday we got the Graco Nautilus for my 35lb, 39in DS who will 4 on 3/25. We LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It is worth every penny. He has lots of room to grow (harness to 65lb, 52in) because of not only the higher weight, but the higher harness straps. The Alpha Omega just didn't have high enough harnesses. It's also really easy to assemble, install, and use.

Just an FYI. We too are planning to pass it on (in several years) to new baby due 3/17. By then, DS should be big enough for one of the less expensive backless boosters.

Jen
#74 of 88 Old 02-22-2008, 11:41 AM

I didn't have a chance to read all the messages, but last Friday we got the Graco Nautilus for my 35lb, 39in DS who will 4 on 3/25. We LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It is worth every penny. He has lots of room to grow (harness to 65lb, 52in) because of not only the higher weight, but the higher harness straps. The Alpha Omega just didn't have high enough harnesses. It's also really easy to assemble, install, and use.

Just an FYI. We too are planning to pass it on (in several years) to new baby due 3/17. By then, DS should be big enough for one of the less expensive backless boosters.

Jen
#75 of 88 Old 02-22-2008, 12:21 PM

Just remember that backless boosters off NO side impact protection and are best used in travel/emergency situations of when a child still needs a booster, but is too tall for all other high backed boosters.

#76 of 88 Old 02-22-2008, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the review! I can't wait to get ours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenvh View Post

Jen
#77 of 88 Old 02-22-2008, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Iwas pointed in the direction of this site on another thread where I had a similar question about my 40lb 3yr old. www.kyledavidmiller.org

Check out the site, it has tons of great info, and an extremely sad story I don't think I'll ever forget.

My ds will be in a 5pt harness as long as humanly possible.

I'm currently looking for the best place to get a regent, possibly find a deal since I have to buy two
#78 of 88 Old 02-22-2008, 02:44 PM

The Feb Britax sale has begun on Albee baby and Baby Universe. You can usually get a Regent for ~$209.

CPST & mom

#79 of 88 Old 02-22-2008, 03:19 PM

Ok, just found a regent at www.babyuniverse.com for $212 with free shipping.

Now a bit confused, they say it is good to 80lbs as a 5pt harness, but they also describe the seat being good for kids 1-6yrs old. What if he isn't. 80lbs as a 6yr old, I canstill use the seat right? Sorry if I seem a bit dense here, just want to be sure I'm making the best choice
#80 of 88 Old 02-22-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayme371 View Post
Ok, just found a regent at www.babyuniverse.com for $212 with free shipping.

Now a bit confused, they say it is good to 80lbs as a 5pt harness, but they also describe the seat being good for kids 1-6yrs old. What if he isn't. 80lbs as a 6yr old, I canstill use the seat right? Sorry if I seem a bit dense here, just want to be sure I'm making the best choice
You can use it until the child is over 80lbs or their shoulders are higher than the highest strap slots. Many kids will fit in a regent past 6 yrs. Some WELL past 6 yrs.

-Angela
#81 of 88 Old 02-22-2008, 03:24 PM

nevermind

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#82 of 88 Old 02-22-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayme371 View Post
Iwas pointed in the direction of this site on another thread where I had a similar question about my 40lb 3yr old. www.kyledavidmiller.org

Check out the site, it has tons of great info, and an extremely sad story I don't think I'll ever forget.

My ds will be in a 5pt harness as long as humanly possible.

I'm currently looking for the best place to get a regent, possibly find a deal since I have to buy two
Because of that website, my big 4 yo will be able to get out of her booster and into a Regent.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#83 of 88 Old 02-22-2008, 04:10 PM

yup, just ordered ds a regent myself
#84 of 88 Old 02-22-2008, 10:05 PM

BabyCatalog.com has the lowest prices allowable by Britax during the authorized sale and it started today!

Regents and Marathons are $209, free shipping. Monarch boosters are $119. Similar markdowns on Roundabout, Boulevard, Companion, and Decathlon models.

I ordered 2 seats from them last September during the Britax sale and was very pleased.

Major kudos to you mamas who took your kids out of boosters and put them back in 5pt harnesses.

In answer to the OP question- I won't even let my 45lb DD who will be 8 in May ride in a booster regularly. There is no circumstance that I would allow a 3yo in a booster. My 5yo is harnessed full time, and of course so is my almost 3yo. It's just THAT much more dangerous to use a booster with a smaller kiddo.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#85 of 88 Old 02-22-2008, 10:41 PM

All of my kids are in 5 pt. harnesses and will be until they are too tall for the largest carseat available. It isn't just about maturity (which is a large part). Do your kids ever fall asleep in the car? I doubt they are sitting up when they fall asleep.

I find it very difficult to believe a 2 year old couldn't fit in a Regent. I can sit in my son's Regent (which I did indeed do while tightening and installing). It is very wide.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#86 of 88 Old 02-22-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
All of my kids are in 5 pt. harnesses and will be until they are too tall for the largest carseat available. It isn't just about maturity (which is a large part). Do your kids ever fall asleep in the car? I doubt they are sitting up when they fall asleep.

I find it very difficult to believe a 2 year old couldn't fit in a Regent. I can sit in my son's Regent (which I did indeed do while tightening and installing). It is very wide.
:

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#87 of 88 Old 02-23-2008, 02:36 AM

Yeah, I can sit in a Regent too, and at 66 inches and 150 pounds, I wager I'm bigger than ALL two year-olds

My almost 7 yo is still 5pt harnessed in his Regent...it will go to his sister when she outgrows her Roundabout.

"MY best interest?...How can YOU say what MY best interest is?...When I went to YOUR schools, I went to YOUR churches, I went to YOUR institutional learning facilities."-ST
#88 of 88 Old 02-23-2008, 11:09 AM

Just wanted to mention Regents are also now on sale at babyage.com

We got our Regent there & my DD loves her pink Madison print!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page