4 year old, newborn, and carseat placement... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2008, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, of course they are going to say that though... either they make money on a new seat or they don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Huh. I posted last night to say I wouldn't trust the manufacturer's opinion on whether to replace a seat, as they want to make money, no? They would have no interest in telling me to keep it. Anyway, it says I'm the last poster to the thread but I don't see the post. Weird.

I was also still wondering about this headrests/head restraints thing with the Safety 1st Apex? Like, what does that mean? I have high back seats, that is my seat backs are taller than DD's head, in a carseat. But there are no special headrests or anything.

I have only seen the Apex sold at the two places I've looked here in town so far... no other models that harness to 65. I checked Toys R Us again and it's the Apex.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
Yes, those are the only ones that go to 65#, but the Graco Nautilus should be available in July and I really like that one. It'll harness to 65# and then a booster till 100#. The Apex has to have support up the top of the child's ears. Unless you have high backed seats or adjustable headrests, which in your car I'm guessing you have neither, might as well nix the Apex. Have you figured out how high yours harnesses anyways? Here's a guide that Britax uses for their seats, all other manufacturers say to replace the seat in a crash, but this may help your decision one way or the other at least for now. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...raintReUse.htm
I'm confused... isn't the Nautilus available right now?? I just tried my DS out in one yesterday at Baby Depot...

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 02-28-2008, 02:31 PM

She is in Canada, and they wont' be getting the Nautilus until July.

I really don't think the car seat manufacturers are trying to rip you off. They want to make money, sure, but honestly if you use the seat after an accident to "stick it to the man" you are just endangering your child.

The Apex requires high seat backs because the top is not reinforced (it's really quite flimsy at the top, if you play with it) and requires the high seat back to protect your child's neck in a crash.

CPST & mom

Old 02-28-2008, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
She is in Canada, and they wont' be getting the Nautilus until July.

I really don't think the car seat manufacturers are trying to rip you off. They want to make money, sure, but honestly if you use the seat after an accident to "stick it to the man" you are just endangering your child.
Come now, let's not be paranoid and overstate the case. If the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration provides guidelines for safe use following collisions, they're not just pulling that out of their backsides, yk? Its nice to tell me that I'm a bad mama if I don't go blow $200 on a new seat, but seriously... I like to evaluate things a little more critically than 'omgz you are a bad mama unless you blindly follow the manufacturer recs!!!' It kinda destroys credibility for me coz that is just not how I roll.

I don't come by $200 super crazy easy. We would miss that money in our budget. I am fine with spending it if it is *necessary*. But it seems there is credible information to say it is just not that necessary. Unless I'm missing something? I don't want to make choices that could endanger my child, but I also don't want to fall victim to paranoia-induced consumerism.

Quote:
The Apex requires high seat backs because the top is not reinforced (it's really quite flimsy at the top, if you play with it) and requires the high seat back to protect your child's neck in a crash.
So... if I have seats that are tall enough to reach past my child's head, the Apex is fine? Or, they have to have some special reinforcement or headrest like the front seats do?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:03 PM

The thing is, you have a few trained child passenger safety technicians here telling you you might want to get a new seat, and no one's paying us to say that Personally, I would follow the manufacturer's instructions, rather than the NHTSA, since the NHSTA does not itself test ALL the seats. Also, there are alot of things out there that the government says are "safe", but aren't really so, if you know what I mean...

Did you figure out how many lbs your current seat harnesses to?

You can see the second post in this thread for more info on the apex/headrest thing...
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=11014
or post a new question there with your car make and model...

I'd call it paranoia if car collisions weren't the number one cause of death for kids 1-14. No one's calling you a bad mom though, we're just trying to give you some info.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:10 PM

I'm not one to get crazy and replace seats AFTER every MINOR crash, the thing is none of us were there w/ you and seeing as how you had to have some pretty severe work done on your car (enough to total it) it would make me get a new seat probably, but you are looking at getting a new one it seems so I'll just try to help you make a good long lasting choice. Like I mentioned though, if this crash was NOT your fault than the other person's insurance should cover it. Even if you've settled, I'd call them and tell them you just realized seats needed to be replaced after a crash, you had one in the car and you need to get it replaced.

The Apex will only be good until the tops of your dd's ears get to the top of the seat back and then it will be useless, harnessed or booster, it's no good. That's why you want to make sure you'll be getting more than a few inches use out of it and probably not the best choice for you.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 02-28-2008, 03:31 PM

I'm not telling you to go out and spend $200. I would rather see this child in a high-back booster than in a crashed seat, especially if it is (possibly) being used past the weight limit.

CPST & mom

Old 02-28-2008, 07:58 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that since your seat was in a crash AND you're unsure as the what the wight limits on it ACTUALLY are (for using the harness), you should get a new seat.

If you're sure that she's at least 40 lbs and would sit properly in a booster each and every time she rode in it, you could go with one. But if I understand correctly, you'll beed to buy a high-backed booster since you don't have headreasts in the back seat. That said, if you can swing it, I'd try and get a Radian. Every step up in a carseat is a step down in safety, and 4 is still pretty young to sit properly every time she rides in the car.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Old 02-28-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, gonna try to respond to everything. There has been no insurance settlement yet, and I don't know who will be found at fault. I was not driving but if my daughter's dad is found at fault ain't nobody gonna be buying us a carseat... I don't know how it's going to turn out but I'll be surprised if he is not found at least partially at fault due to the location of the impact.

Evenflo seats that convert from 5 point to boosters apparently all harness to either 47 or 48 lbs (I forget which). Mine is an Evenflo, so there ya go. We're good there.

I would rather my child be in this seat, which complies with the recs for seats that have seen a collision, than in a booster with a seatbelt... I went and looked at the boosters and they look flimsy to me. I am not comfortable with the seatbelt thing, high backed booster or no high back. This one will still harness her for 7 or 8 more lbs, and I feel its integrity has not been compromised, as do my daughter's dad and my housemate. I thought that before I saw the NHTSA stuff about collisions, and seeing that only made me feel better as the collision my vehicle was in met all their criteria.

The only seats I have found that harness to 65 lbs are the Safety 1st brand, and that doesn't sound like a good choice so I'm going to avoid that one.

What I *may* do as a couple of people suggested is go get another Evenflo, especially if I can find one for a reasonable price that converts from backward facing to ff, so I could use it for my baby. Or, I may go price out the other currently available brands of seats that harness to 65 lbs, but it sounds like they are going to be more pricey than the Apex which turns me off.

eta - Thing is, we have a limited budget and everyone I know, including folks with waaaay more extra money than me, drive around with their kids in simple booster seats at this age. It seems... frivolous... to me to spend an arm and a leg that I really don't have on some giant deluxe fortress of a carseat. I know ya'll are going to say 'well but of course you should' and I get that, but I am looking for balance here, yk? I'm not sure where that balance comes, but I'm balancing 'American safety paranoia' with 'what do I really think about the current seat we have' with 'what is the safest option within my budget.' So I'm sorry I'm not jumping all over the recs to get a super supreme seat here, but that's what's going on for me.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:42 PM

I would get another Evenflo then, since you like it, and have your DD use it until your wee one is born. Then, get her a Turbo booster or something similar.

CPST & mom

Old 02-28-2008, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well I could use it til my baby outgrows the bucket, which would be longer. Then decide what to do.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:51 PM

Perfect, that should buy you quite a few months, at which point maybe you will be comfortable with your DD in a booster

CPST & mom

Old 02-29-2008, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, well I ended up buying an Evenflo Triumph Advance LX. Like this only in brown:

http://www.evenflo.com/Homepage/Prod...3-b05b25860e98

I gotta say... it's a really, really cool seat. I blew $150 but I actually feel fine about that. It harnesses to 47 lbs (US info seems to say 50 lbs), it's big and cushy and just seems really solid and sturdy. It makes my DDs old seat look like a bit of a joke which was actually kind of alarming to see.

I know it's safe/accident free, I know it definitely harnesses past 40 lbs, and I can use it for my baby when s/he outgrows the bucket seat... so it's not like I'm getting screwed into paranoid consumerism because I will need another seat anyway so I'm just buying it early. Which makes me happy to think about. Then I can decide when my daughter is much further into the booster seat weight range, and when I am not dealing with pregnancy hormone-related anxiety, whether I feel fine about a booster or want to get a seat that harnesses to 65 lbs. Plus then maybe there will be better options instead of just the Safety 1st Apex which seems to be all anyone around here carries (I checked Canadian Tire tonight as well).

We installed it in the back passenger side seat, because that has a tether... that's right, right? Got a much, much tighter install with a lapbelt and a tether... amazing.

So... that's good. I feel good about the carseat sitch now. Thanks mamas! Even my sour housemate approved of the purchase.

Oh, how do I know if I need a seatbelt lock on my seatbelts? The seat seems like it's never gonna budge a millimetre so it seems safely installed to me, but we couldn't figure out how to know about the lock thing.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
O.K. your carseats should move less than an inch side to side when properly installed. First you'll want to see if your seat belts lock. I'm thinking your car will have lightweight locking latchplates and might look like this.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...n/Lwlpfron.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...n/lightwe2.jpg
W/ the middle looking like this.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...n/backlock.jpg
These all lock on their own so you won't need a locking clip. If they don't look like that, try pulling the shoulder belt all the way out, slowly, and then let it back in a little and try pulling it back out. If it won't come out (and you hear a ratcheting sound when it's going in) than your belts lock that way.
Ah, just found this post again. Never mind about the 'do my seatbelts lock' question... they do look like the pics but I will try that trick in the morning to make sure.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:25 AM

I think you made a great choice! Way to go on learning about your car and carseat!!!

And just so you know, in Ontario, if your car has a carseat in it during an accident and you run a claim through the insurance company is REQUIRED to replace the carseat if you so desire as part of the claim (we're working on our 3rd. Someone sideswiped our parked car then we were rear ended by a transport) You have to take the carseat to them to destroy though. One of the reasons you aren't supposed to use a seat again is, like a bike helmet, they often have energy absorbing foam in them that is designed to crush with minimal impacts thus protecting the occupant. It doesn't take much to crush some of it and it's often hidden making it hard to see damage.

It's often helpful to have the carseat manual to refer to. We keep ours under the carseat cover because it's attached with elastic but it does get kinda icky there (our DD LOVES to dump her water out in her carseat... silly non-valve sigg bottles!). Pop it in the glove box for future reference. They're all online if you need them though.

And yes, your forward facing seat HAS to be tethered here so way to go on finding that too! It's all very confusing when you start to investigate carseats.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I actually just emailed my friend to tell her I think her kiddo is past the weight limit for her harness. Oy! I now know a LOT about carseats.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:30 PM

I'm glad you got a new seat that you are happy about We have that same seat for our DFS and love it. It should last you a very long time!

CPST & mom

Old 02-29-2008, 03:02 PM

Now you're gonna be hooked on car seat safety!! I think you made a really good choice! Congrats!

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 02-29-2008, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I've been reading up about safety today still... very interesting.

I feel so great about this carseat, I can't tell you. This has actually caused me a LOT of anxiety over the past few days, figuring out what to do and all. I'm horrified at how poorly installed my other seat was, I had NO idea how badly it was in until we did it right. Holy crap, man.

Thanks for all the help, and all the talking through all the various angles of the situation. I feel I found the perfect seat for safety, budget, DDs size, my next babe, etc. and we improved the install like 1000%. Fabulous!! I think I shall likely get a Nautilus when I need to move the kids each up a size, since it will be available here by then.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:33 PM

Wonderful!

CPST & mom

Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 PM

You really ARE a goner. Already talking about a new seat. A woman after my own heart.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:59 AM

If the nautilus ever makes it to Canada anyway...

We're waiting to see if it makes it here too... I'd like to move my 3 yr old into a Nautilus and move the new baby to the Marathon when baby is out of his/her infant seat.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Damn, I thought it was coming in July, no?
Old 03-04-2008, 02:28 AM

I'll believe it when I see it. There's great speculation at another carseat related website about whether it's coming to Canada or not. There are rumours about a new Britax booster/ high weight harness seat becoming available this spring too but again, whether it will come to Canada at the same time is anyone's guess... Still, we can hope!

User Tag List