So I decided to just quick look up my baby bucket brand... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 03-01-2008, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... since I've been investigating carseats and all (it's an Evenflo Portabout), and I found this:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.p...ight=portabout

Quote:
It would be nice to know which seats are the safest and which ones are marginal. For example, infant car seats such as the Cosco Snugride is highly rated but the Evenflo Portabout is known flip out of it's base (Evenflo Embrace barely meets the standard).
Frickin' hell, mamas. Is my carseat a piece of ? If so what should I do about it? Please don't tell me to go get a Britax Whose-a-whatsit coz I just blew my budget on a carseat for my DD.

Gah!!! Like, shouldn't you just be able to buy a carseat and trust that the damn thing is going to do its job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 63 Old 03-01-2008, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

I know! I have a friend who offered me a seat (I know it's in good condition)... I should email her and tell her what I found out and ask her if she still has it. I don't know what brand it is but it seems this one is about the worst of the worst.

Geezus.
#3 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 12:15 AM

I would totally feel comfortable using a seat from a trusted friend (providing of course they know the complete history)! I hope that works out for you.

CPST & mom

#4 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 12:17 AM

Unfortunately Evenflo does not have a very good track record w/ their infant seats. Some people won't buy any Evenflo seats b/c of that, but I think their combo and convertible seats are o.k., but I hate the infant seats. They are hard to install and hard to use, a bad combo for most people. One option after calling your friend would be to use your seat w/out it's base. I'm thinking this can't be done though and I can't seem to locate a manual for it to see. I remember a lot of Evenflo seats have to have the base.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#5 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

This one apparently doesn't need the base, I looked on the side for the installation pics and you can install it without. I've emailed my friend and will see what she says. Otherwise any suggestions for a safe and budget conscious bucket?

Thanks mamas. What a PITA, I am dealing with some hardcore carseat karma lately.
#6 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 12:29 AM

nak
Graco is a trusted brand, and the Safeseat has a 30 lb limit. I think you can find certain colors online for ~$100. The Snugride is cheaper, but only goes to 22lbs. I personally am not a bucket fan and moved my girls into convertibles at 2 mos or so, so I don't see a need for a 30 lb limit seat. If you have big babies and/or like to use the bucket longer the Safeseat is a great choice.

CPST & mom

#7 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not too worried about size because my plan is to move my baby up to the Evenflo Triumph Advance and move my 4 year old to either a booster or a Nautilus. I mean, more room for growth is better but not if there is a significant budget difference.

I'm going to look up the Safeseat and Snugride - thanks.
#8 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 12:39 AM

Ok, the link posted says that the Consumer Reports info that the OP is apparently referring to isn't reliable, though.

Which is a relief, since the bucket we have (from a trusted friend) is an Evenflo Portabout!

I gotta wonder: which is safer for a newborn... a dodgy baby bucket, or a convertible? I guess when baby's born, we can measure the hip-to-shoulder length, and if it's at least 9.5", we can borrow the Marathon out of my mom's car and put the baby in it for the trip home from the hospital ;-).
#9 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

I gotta wonder that too ironica.

I did see that the Consumer reports data is not reliable, but I think that is because they do not reveal their testing information. I posted a thread over there, in the Canadian section and will let you know anything I find out. I did find a public notice online from Evenflo about the problem. I also searched Portabout on that site and it seems it's a bit of a joke - comments like "as though any infant would be comfortable in a Portabout."

Seems like a crap seat. I wish that were not so!! But it seems it is, at least from what I can find out so far.
#10 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 12:56 AM

The Portabout has more problems than the Consumer Reports fiasco. There were many cases where the seat came separated from the base IRL and babies died. I would steer clear of the seat if at all possible.

CPST & mom

#11 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
The Portabout has more problems than the Consumer Reports fiasco. There were many cases where the seat came separated from the base IRL and babies died. I would steer clear of the seat if at all possible.
bloody hell, man.
#12 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
Ok, the link posted says that the Consumer Reports info that the OP is apparently referring to isn't reliable, though.

Which is a relief, since the bucket we have (from a trusted friend) is an Evenflo Portabout!

I gotta wonder: which is safer for a newborn... a dodgy baby bucket, or a convertible? I guess when baby's born, we can measure the hip-to-shoulder length, and if it's at least 9.5", we can borrow the Marathon out of my mom's car and put the baby in it for the trip home from the hospital ;-).
Marathons won't fit most newborns well. The bottom strap height is too high. (and measuring isn't really very accurate, especially for squishy newborns...)

-Angela
#13 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 01:48 AM

Luckily even if people tell you to buy a Britax infant seat you won't be able to because they are not sold in Canada!

We're borrowing a Graco Safeseat for our soon to be here child because we don't plan to have our infant in one for very long... just long enough to grow big enough to fit into a convertible safely (and for the Nautilus or the new Britax front facing high weight harnes/ booster to come out in Canada so baby can move into DD's Marathon...!) I feel fine using a borrowed seat because we know where it's been and how it's been treated.
#14 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Well apparently there WERE huge flaws in the Consumer Reports studies... the seats were tested in a side impact at 70 mph instead of 38 mph. So... that's a pretty big mistake. From this thread I started:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=38227

ARE there problems with them other than those studies, like for sure? Did they really come out of the bases??

Partly I feel uncomfortable because in the articles about the CR screw up, it seems the advice is to just use the seats as there has been proven nothing wrong with them, as the CR studies are invalid. But... I dunno, man. Like, if the thing comes out of the base that is a big freaking deal. If we don't KNOW if it comes out of the base that is also a big deal.
#15 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes'sBeth View Post
Luckily even if people tell you to buy a Britax infant seat you won't be able to because they are not sold in Canada!
Oh, good!

Quote:
We're borrowing a Graco Safeseat for our soon to be here child because we don't plan to have our infant in one for very long... just long enough to grow big enough to fit into a convertible safely (and for the Nautilus or the new Britax front facing high weight harnes/ booster to come out in Canada so baby can move into DD's Marathon...!) I feel fine using a borrowed seat because we know where it's been and how it's been treated.
The Safeseat looks cool... but damn it is expensive (as is the Snugride). It's another $150+. I just bloody spent $150 on a carseat!!

Gah.
#16 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 02:39 AM

Personally I'm of the mind that most infant seats are about the same... some have a few extra safety features- but there's not the MAJOR difference that you see in convertibles.

Now- I do not trust evenflo and my child will never ride in one. Do a search on chicago tribune and evenflo to see an article- basically they will not recall until it is proven that kids died

But in your case I would get a "decent" new infant seat and then save for a good convertible.... I don't know what you have and don't have in infant seats there...

If you had the $$ now, I'd say get a radian and just use that (it has lower strap heights and actually usually works for newborns...)

-Angela
#17 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks alegna... what is a radian? I'm up late researching...

I'll google it. But I wonder who sells it.

eta - Oh yeah I see it. Thing is, it's $200!! I'm just breathing again after spending $150 on the triumph advance. Geezus!! I can't believe my carseat karma lately, unreal.

It would be better financially in the long run than getting a bucket though, i suppose, right? If my friend doesn't have one for me, I mean. DD in the radian, baby in the triumph advance... is that what you are thinking? Could I do that right away i wonder? The triumph is not a bucket but it is pretty darn cushy.

eta again - oh i see, you mean the radian for the newborn??
#18 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 02:46 AM

This is not completely on topic, but I will say that there is a HUGE difference between a well-installed rear-facing convertible seat and a poorly installed rear-facing convertible seat. We skipped the bucket and went straight to convertible seats with both of my babies--Britax Roundabouts, in both cases. My DH and I installed my daughters, using the instruction manual, and kneeling in the seat to push it down more firmly. But I still had to ride in the back with her and keep her from slumping over until she was at least 6 weeks old. However, we had a car-seat installer put my son's Roundabout in, and he got the thing damn near horizontal, deeply squished into the car's seat. My son rode home from the hospital in total comfort, and never had a day of not fitting.

It was very much worth seeking out the professional installation, if that's at all possible.
#19 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
Thanks alegna... what is a radian? I'm up late researching...

I'll google it. But I wonder who sells it.

eta - Oh yeah I see it. Thing is, it's $200!! I'm just breathing again after spending $150 on the triumph advance. Geezus!! I can't believe my carseat karma lately, unreal.

It would be better financially in the long run than getting a bucket though, i suppose, right? If my friend doesn't have one for me, I mean. DD in the radian, baby in the triumph advance... is that what you are thinking? Could I do that right away i wonder? The triumph is not a bucket but it is pretty darn cushy.

eta again - oh i see, you mean the radian for the newborn??
Yeah, the radian would work for the newborn- I don't know much about the triumph so I don't know what the bottom strap heights are like.

good luck!

-Angela
#20 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Girl View Post
However, we had a car-seat installer put my son's Roundabout in, and he got the thing damn near horizontal, deeply squished into the car's seat. My son rode home from the hospital in total comfort, and never had a day of not fitting.

It was very much worth seeking out the professional installation, if that's at all possible.
Ha, this is cool, thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Yeah, the radian would work for the newborn- I don't know much about the triumph so I don't know what the bottom strap heights are like.

good luck!

-Angela
Thanks!

I'm gonna hope my friend has a decent bucket for me. The folks over at that other forum seem to be saying 'well they all meet minimum standards so its okay to just use the seat you have.' I'm just not so sure... I mean, this is my *baby.* It's one thing to say that about someone else's baby, but kinda different when its your own baby. And Im not sure if they are saying that coz it's true or because they think people will just use nothing?? Or something like that??

Dunno... I don't think I can use this carseat now, in fact I'm pretty sure of that. I hope my friend has a decent bucket seat! Otherwise I guess I'm gonna be crunching numbers to see if I can come up with cash for a Radian. Since in the end that would be the best choice if I am going to buy something... like why buy a bucket now to buy another carseat later, yk?
#21 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 03:06 AM

I would prefer the EFTA (Evenflo Triumph Advance) over the Radian for newborns. I have one of each, and honestly I wouldn't use the Radian for a baby, not because they don't fit, but because of the lack of side-impact protection. The EFTA works quite well for a newborn, (do a on car-seat.org for EFTA+newborn, there are some pictures) and just seems so comfy and cocooning.

CPST & mom

#22 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, true that it doesnt seem there is side impact protection! I saw a video of side impacts today and I think I can't get a carseat that doesn't offer that - the images are burned in my overly sensitive pregnant brain. And I've just put my 4 year old next to the window instead of the middle seat.

I hope my friend has a bucket for me! That would buy time til the Nautilus is available here. My perceived need for safety in a carseat has increased dramatically since I started reading up.
#23 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 03:10 AM

Quote:
The folks over at that other forum seem to be saying 'well they all meet minimum standards so its okay to just use the seat you have.' I'm just not so sure... I mean, this is my *baby.* It's one thing to say that about someone else's baby, but kinda different when its your own baby. And Im not sure if they are saying that coz it's true or because they think people will just use nothing?? Or something like that??
Well, being a regular over there, they don't automatically assume you're going to use nothing. As techs, we are not allowed to require one brand over another, and we use the "all seats meet the same minimum standards" or "the best seat is one that fits your child/car/budget" line. We won't tell you to throw away a seat and buy a new one just because it's a particular brand. Would I buy it for my own kid, no, but the seat passed the manufacturer and gov't testing and it has been declared safe.

Quote:
Dunno... I don't think I can use this carseat now, in fact I'm pretty sure of that. I hope my friend has a decent bucket seat! Otherwise I guess I'm gonna be crunching numbers to see if I can come up with cash for a Radian. Since in the end that would be the best choice if I am going to buy something... like why buy a bucket now to buy another carseat later, yk?
I hope your friend comes through with the seat

CPST & mom

#24 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, being a regular over there, they don't automatically assume you're going to use nothing. As techs, we are not allowed to require one brand over another, and we use the "all seats meet the same minimum standards" or "the best seat is one that fits your child/car/budget" line. We won't tell you to throw away a seat and buy a new one just because it's a particular brand.
Ah, that makes sense as to where folks are coming from, thanks.

Quote:
Would I buy it for my own kid, no,
See, and this for me is the bottom line.

Quote:
I hope your friend comes through with the seat
Thanks, me too! It won't be uber top end or anything (they are not carseat safety nuts) but I hope it's a decent one that I can feel good about. At this point I think anything is better than a seat that *may* or may not come flying off the base.
#25 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 03:17 AM

And this is the area where NOT being a tech, just being a geek, leaves me free to say that some brands ARE better or worse than others

-Angela
#26 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 03:27 AM

Ugh, and this is where I as a tech can tell you that no, one brand is not any better than another, that is your personal opinion and should be treated as such .

CPST & mom

#27 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

alegna.

Okay, still obsessing on this while I had a shower... the other thing I *could* do, if I don't get a not-scary bucket from my friend, is get my folks to buy me a Nautilus when they head this way through the States in April. My mom is coming over as soon as my baby is born so she could bring it right to me then. I know it's not *legal* if it's not sold in Canada, but seriously I don't care whose safety standards it meets as long as it is safe. And I hardly think a cop is going to realize I have a 'wrong' brand of carseat and give me a ticket... I got pulled over the other night with DD in her improperly installed, not tethered, shoddy looking carseat (on the way home from buying the new one in fact ) and the cops didn't bat an eye.

Good idea, that? Or not so much? I'd save serious coin too, as carseats down there seem to be a lot less expensive for the same one. Is the Nautilus easy to find in stores, like if I said to my Mom 'Go here' chances are good she would get one?
#28 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 03:33 AM

Technically, no, that's not okay, simply because it's a US seat and you can't use it in Canada yada yada. I wouldn't have a personal problem with it, but it would be breaking the law.

CPST & mom

#29 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Ugh, and this is where I as a tech can tell you that no, one brand is not any better than another, that is your personal opinion and should be treated as such .

Yep.

One better than the other....

Wouldn't use it for my kid...

potAto poTAto...

-angela
#30 of 63 Old 03-02-2008, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Technically, no, that's not okay, simply because it's a US seat and you can't use it in Canada yada yada. I wouldn't have a personal problem with it, but it would be breaking the law.
I like breaking the law. It makes me feel warm and squishy inside.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page