NEED HELP RE: Britax Regents not fitting - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 03-12-2008, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh man... I wish I had known this might be a problem! We have a brand new Regent in a box waiting to be installed in our 01 Grand Caravan I already spent my budgetted money on this seat and can't afford to ship it back and take the hit on the restocking fee. Dd is about to outgrow the harness height of her Boulevard (she's only 34lbs though) and we didn't feel comfortable with just a booster for her. I guess I'll have DH try to install it and if it doesn't work we will have no choice but to return it and buy a regular cheap seatbelt booster. I don't know if this is just preggo hormones but I am so upset right now I am almost in tears. I was so focused on trying to find a seat that would fit my tall, skinny, long torso almost 4yo that I never even considered that the seat might not fit in a VAN!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#32 of 46 Old 03-12-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
Oh man... I wish I had known this might be a problem! We have a brand new Regent in a box waiting to be installed in our 01 Grand Caravan I already spent my budgetted money on this seat and can't afford to ship it back and take the hit on the restocking fee. Dd is about to outgrow the harness height of her Boulevard (she's only 34lbs though) and we didn't feel comfortable with just a booster for her. I guess I'll have DH try to install it and if it doesn't work we will have no choice but to return it and buy a regular cheap seatbelt booster. I don't know if this is just preggo hormones but I am so upset right now I am almost in tears. I was so focused on trying to find a seat that would fit my tall, skinny, long torso almost 4yo that I never even considered that the seat might not fit in a VAN!
If it doesn't work in your van check out the Graco Nautilus. Not a Regent, but a good high weight harnessing seat that actually has high harness slots. If I'm recalling correctly the harness slots in the Nautilus are a half inch shorter then the Regent and it converts to a high back then low back booster after the harness is outgrowing. It's also a good deal cheaper at only $150, but availability is iffy. Right now Walmart is your best place to find it and even there can be rough.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#33 of 46 Old 03-12-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
If it doesn't work in your van check out the Graco Nautilus. Not a Regent, but a good high weight harnessing seat that actually has high harness slots. If I'm recalling correctly the harness slots in the Nautilus are a half inch shorter then the Regent and it converts to a high back then low back booster after the harness is outgrowing. It's also a good deal cheaper at only $150, but availability is iffy. Right now Walmart is your best place to find it and even there can be rough.
Do you know what the limits are for using the harnesson the Nautilus? My dd is on the autism spectrum and really *needs* a harness as she is not developmentally ready for a seatbelt booster IMO. She's just got such a long torso that she has outgrown her Boulevard at only 35lbs! I bought the Regent because it seemed like the perfect seat for her needs and never thought about it not fitting in the van. I mean that's the point of having a VAN right???

I found some links to installation pics to show DH. He is going to mess around with it and see if he can get it to work. If not, then I guess we will try to sell it on craigslist because sending it back would cost a ton in shipping. I'll check into the Radian (?) and Nautilus if the Regent won't fit. I thought I had the carseat situation all taken care of and this not what I need to be dealing with right now

~Rebecca~

#34 of 46 Old 03-13-2008, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you know what the limits are for using the harnesson the Nautilus? My dd is on the autism spectrum and really *needs* a harness as she is not developmentally ready for a seatbelt booster IMO. She's just got such a long torso that she has outgrown her Boulevard at only 35lbs! I bought the Regent because it seemed like the perfect seat for her needs and never thought about it not fitting in the van. I mean that's the point of having a VAN right???

I found some links to installation pics to show DH. He is going to mess around with it and see if he can get it to work. If not, then I guess we will try to sell it on craigslist because sending it back would cost a ton in shipping. I'll check into the Radian (?) and Nautilus if the Regent won't fit. I thought I had the carseat situation all taken care of and this not what I need to be dealing with right now
If your DH gets it to work, I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to know how! I called Britax today (and I never knew, it's pronouced BRI tax with a long "i-- I thought it was like Bri from Bri-tish). I asked them for tips. They said you CAN put the recline bar through the seats to prevent the overlap. They said as long as the bar is installed, that is what counts. For us, that solves the overlap problem, but then the seat is reclined back too far.

Oh, and I "think" shipping back would only be around $17. I put it in by weight at UPS (not the dimensions, though) and that's what I came up with. (It's 31 lbs in the box.)

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#35 of 46 Old 03-13-2008, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
Have you checked to see if there is a car seat tech or car seat check up near you? You can look up seat check locations at http://www.seatcheck.org/ I'm not sure if there is any place else to see if there is a tech local to you that might be able to help.
We do have a tech here . . .I am going to make an appt. tomorrow.

ETA: This looks like a good video: http://www.carseatsite.com/videos.ht...acing%20videos
I am not actually installing it, so I don't know, but it looks like the seat only overlaps if the seatbelt isn't tight enough. Off to show this to DH!

#36 of 46 Old 03-13-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Dd is about to outgrow the harness height of her Boulevard (she's only 34lbs though) and we didn't feel comfortable with just a booster for her.
Wow! That's one tall skinny kid. Are you *sure* the headrest is all the way up? (it goes a good distance above the shell... and sometimes seems to catch) My dd is 3.5yrs and 34 lbs and skinny and long in the torso and nowhere NEAR outgrowing it by height...

-Angela
#37 of 46 Old 03-14-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Wow! That's one tall skinny kid. Are you *sure* the headrest is all the way up? (it goes a good distance above the shell... and sometimes seems to catch) My dd is 3.5yrs and 34 lbs and skinny and long in the torso and nowhere NEAR outgrowing it by height...

-Angela
Lol! Yep! Its up all the way and the straps are even with her shoulders. She is seriously a twig even though she eats constantly... The Regent would be a perfect seat for her *if* we can get it to fit. I am going to have DH try to install it tonight.

~Rebecca~

#38 of 46 Old 03-14-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post

Oh, and I "think" shipping back would only be around $17. I put it in by weight at UPS (not the dimensions, though) and that's what I came up with. (It's 31 lbs in the box.)
Good to know, I hadn't actually gotten a quote yet. I just figured since it was a big heavy box it would be expensive, plus the $30 restocking fee.

~Rebecca~

#39 of 46 Old 03-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:

-Angela

Alegna, my 3.5 year old is 35 pounds, 42 inches, and has less than one inch of torso growth before he's too tall for the Wizard. He's definitely going to outgrow it before he hits 40 pounds at this rate
#40 of 46 Old 03-19-2008, 11:14 PM

It fits! I showed DH some pics I found on car-seat.org and told him about the install issues other people described. It took him a while and he actually had to read the manual (if you knew my DH you'd crack up at that) He said the key was pushing in the bottom of the Regent towards the back of the seat with his knee while also attaching the latch connections (dd is still low enough weight to use them). He said it was a pain in the rear, but it fits great and has a nice tight install. No problems at all with the seat hanging off the edge or leg room issues. Its in the 3rd row and ds's Boulevard is on the other half of the seat row. Dd loves it and I am super impressed with the fabric colors. We got the Madison which looked dayglow online but is more muted and very beautiful in person. DH even vaccuumed my car out when installing dd's seat and the new baby's infant base which when I am this pregnant was AWESOME. I just hope we don't need to move the Regent around anytime soon as it took him 30 minutes on to install the Regent compared to 5 minutes for the infant seat!

~Rebecca~

#41 of 46 Old 03-19-2008, 11:44 PM

Just for kicks, my 32 month old has about half an inch of torso room in a Blvd. She's 28 pounds. I would be floored if we made it to 33 lbs in the seat.

CPST & mom

#42 of 46 Old 03-20-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Just for kicks, my 32 month old has about half an inch of torso room in a Blvd. She's 28 pounds. I would be floored if we made it to 33 lbs in the seat.
Torso room total or rf?

and I thought MY dd was long in the torso!

-Angela
#43 of 46 Old 03-20-2008, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It fits! I showed DH some pics I found on car-seat.org and told him about the install issues other people described. It took him a while and he actually had to read the manual (if you knew my DH you'd crack up at that) He said the key was pushing in the bottom of the Regent towards the back of the seat with his knee while also atta ching the latch connections (dd is still low enough weight to use them).
I am SO happy for you!!!! Do you have a plain ol' bench, or the 50/50? I showed my DH a video, told him about the whole "push in while you attach" and he just could not do it. He tried. And tried! Maybe if we'd gone to a tech, they could have done it. I was feeling pretty hopeless about it, and thought I should just DECIDE since we might have missed the deadline to send them back, so I skipped the tech. We ended up selling them both taking just a small loss, and got the Graco Nautilus instead.

#44 of 46 Old 03-20-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:

-Angela
not to hijack, but does anyone have a pic of the blvd with the headrest all the way up? i tried jet in one at bru and the harness was right at his shoulders with the headrest as high as i could get it, but it definately was not sticking up past the shell. he is around 35 pounds but he does have a very tall torso.

i think i'm gonna have to make another trip to bru today. if he has growing room in a blvd i really want that - especially cause we could move marvel in it when we get the frontier (hopefully) and keep her rear-facing forever (or at least until she has to turn around to drive).

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#45 of 46 Old 03-20-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post
I am SO happy for you!!!! Do you have a plain ol' bench, or the 50/50? I showed my DH a video, told him about the whole "push in while you attach" and he just could not do it. He tried. And tried! Maybe if we'd gone to a tech, they could have done it. I was feeling pretty hopeless about it, and thought I should just DECIDE since we might have missed the deadline to send them back, so I skipped the tech. We ended up selling them both taking just a small loss, and got the Graco Nautilus instead.
we have the 50/50 seat. I'm glad you figured something else out that works for you!

~Rebecca~

#46 of 46 Old 03-20-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
we have the 50/50 seat. I'm glad you figured something else out that works for you!
Thanks! So far, everyone I've talked to that had it work also had the 50/50 seat. (Maybe not everyone, just so far!) We have the regular bench.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page