Front or rear facing - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2008, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's no Titan 5. The only Titan that rf to 35# is the Elite and it ff to 50# (don't see this happening though). Just be sure to check the stickers and manual to make sure of the limits.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2008, 08:03 PM

Super! I know that here we have a few Titans to give out (the new ones, 35RF/50FF) so hopefully that is what you get!

CPST & mom

Old 03-20-2008, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
There's no Titan 5. The only Titan that rf to 35# is the Elite and it ff to 50# (don't see this happening though). Just be sure to check the stickers and manual to make sure of the limits.

Ok, that is odd. I will def double check with her. Here is exactly what she said in her email "We use the Evenflo Titan 5 seats, which are rear facing up to 35 lbs and forward facing up to 40 lbs." I guess I'll find out on Monday. At this point, even if it only rf up to 30lbs, it's safer than the outdated/almost outgrown seat he has now and it will buy me some time to get him a better seat. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!
Old 03-20-2008, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

You know, I'm just sitting her trying to figure all this out. How come this has to be sooo hard? Am I just that dense? All I want to do is to keep my kids safe and not spend so much money that I won't be able to feed them too. YK?

If the carseat that the tech brings really only goes to 30lbs, should I just save my $20, decline it and stop at Walmart and get a Scenera instead? I'd hate to spend $20 on a carseat and have him outgrow it in a couple months and have to buy yet another new seat. If I'm doing that I might as well get one of the more expensive ones that will last him till he's 50lbs.

Every time I think I know what's going on, I don't. I feel so lost. Thank you Jennifer and Anna for walking me through this. I appreciate it more than I can express with mere words. to you both!
Jen
Old 03-20-2008, 10:19 AM

This might be a long shot, but call all your local Wal-Marts and see if they have any Safety 1st Uptowns left (have them check in the back too). I should've thought of this sooner, but these seats were clearanced out for $22 and rf to 35# and are slightly bigger then the Scenera.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I did a little digging around online and found this order form link on our Safekids website and it says Titan 5 -- convertible -- 5pt harness -- 5-40lbs.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:40 AM

I just couldn't find a Titan 5 on the Evenflo site, so maybe they stopped making them recently? It still will only rf to 30#.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

It's really confusing, because I couldn't find them anywhere current either.

On a totally better note, I got the 2nd to the last Nautilus for my dd. I checked online and our state tax return was deposited today. They were all gone at all the Walmarts nearby and I remembered seeing them at Meijer, so we ran over this morning and got one for her. What a relief. I have to put it together tonight.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:20 AM

Glad you got the Nautilus for your DD!

As far as the Titan, the old ones RF to 30 pounds, FF to 40. The new ones RF to 35, FF to 50 but have the same strap heights as the old ones, so probably won't last any longer. There won't be any that both RF to 35 and FF to 40. If they try to give you a 30/40 seat, I would say no thanks and go for the Scenera instead. I'm surprised they give out Titans over Sceneras anyway, since the Sceneras are cheaper.

CPST & mom

Old 03-21-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Got the Nautilus put together today. After I bought it, I got a coupon in the newspaper for 15% off any baby item. So I had to take the seat back, return it and repurchase it, but it saved me $24! I got the seat put together, but it's not in the car yet. Ds just woke up from his nap, so I'll have to wait till tonight or tomorrow to hook it up. We aren't going anywhere till tomorrow afternoon anyway.

Thanks again Jennifer and Anna!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:07 PM

Oh that is great!!

CPST & mom

Old 03-25-2008, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, my update! I took Ian to the SafeKids carseat check and we did end up getting a new seat. They have the Evenflo Titan Elite Dlx but they call it the Titan 5. The only thing I can think of is that they have a contract for Titan 5 so that's what they call this even though it's exactly like the Dlx I saw in the store. This is exactly what ours looks like. So it does rearface to 35lbs. I'm so happy!!

It was interesting, I got to help educate the police officer who was helping. He was confused as to why I wasn't turning ds around. I explained the 12mo/20lb guide was the bare minimum and how much safer it was to rear face until they are much older. I also had ds in the outboard position and dd was in the middle (since she was in a less protective seat until I got the Nautilus this week). The officer installed ds in the middle now.

I thought that they would take my old seat since it was so old, but she told me to take it home and I could use it for another few years (she said that they could be used 7-10 years?!?) I told her that everything I had read said 6yrs on avg. She maintained that up to 10yrs was ok, but that since ds was so big, I'd have to use it ff. I'll keep it for a little while just in case something drastic happens and we need an emergency back up, but I wonder why she was so sure that a 10yo seat would still be ok.

I guess this is my last question for you Jennifer and Anna, now with dd in a Nautilus and ds in the Titan Dlx, who should be where? I tried to put the Nautilus in the middle but it seemed to tip to the side a bit and I got a much more solid install by moving her over. Now with her seat and his touching, I noticed that her arm rest was pushed up a bit and I can't seem to snap it down. I was in a hurry though so I'll try again tomorrow. If I can't get it to solidly snap in, would it be better to move ds so they are both on the outsides or should I leave him in the middle?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:14 AM

She is wrong, car seats expire after 6 years.

As far as placement goes, generally speaking you want the least protected in the most protected spot, like you said. In this case the 'least protected' would be your DD since she is FF. However, she is very very safe in her 5pt harness, so really if you can't get a secure install with one in the center, having both outboard would be fine. I actually have both kids RF, with the baby outboard and my 2.5 yo in the center, since she can climb into her own seat On long trips I move her outboard, because otherwise they tend to get bored and pick on one another.

CPST & mom

Old 03-25-2008, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Anna!

User Tag List