Do toddlers wear bike helmets on a tricycle? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 103 Old 04-23-2008, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine does. A big part of it is to teach him that we wear helmets on bikes, so it's not an issue later, but also to protect his head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 103 Old 04-25-2008, 02:51 AM

my kids are sensory seekers and love wearing their helmets. plus, the kids in the neighborhood (i think i've mentioned this before on here) are all "training for the x games" so they go around finding crazy stunts to do. they wear helmets and all pads at all times. so jet definately sees that it is what all the cool older kids are doing. so basically if he is skating, on his trike, on his scooter, or rolling down the hill, jet thinks he should have his helmet on.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#63 of 103 Old 04-25-2008, 09:38 AM

I don't but helmets on the kids in our yard - which is nothing but dirt right now.
But if we leave the yard, then yes - bikes / trikes = helmet.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#64 of 103 Old 04-25-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls181 View Post
We havent started with bikes yet (because we can't find any that fit her!) but I figure once we do, we will do helmets. I dont see why not, even with the little bikes.
try a balance bike like the Strider Bike. My 2 yo loves his.

the straddle adjusts from 11 to 16 inches...really low for young kids...read what it says on the site about the benefits of balance bikes. i dont want to start a debate about it on this thread.
#65 of 103 Old 04-25-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
try a balance bike like the Strider Bike. My 2 yo loves his.

the straddle adjusts from 11 to 16 inches...really low for young kids...read what it says on the site about the benefits of balance bikes. i dont want to start a debate about it on this thread.
Thanks! That actually looks really cool!
#66 of 103 Old 04-25-2008, 02:08 PM

i hope you got the link for some reason its gone now. my 2 yo really loves his
#67 of 103 Old 04-25-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
i hope you got the link for some reason its gone now. my 2 yo really loves his
I just did a google search for it!
#68 of 103 Old 04-28-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheartedmama View Post
Mine does. A big part of it is to teach him that we wear helmets on bikes, so it's not an issue later, but also to protect his head.
Same with ours. We started the kids out wearing helmets with their first bikes (tricycles) and they have no problem wearing them now. I also used them for ice skating and roller skating when they were younger. Don't forget the knee and elbow pads

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#69 of 103 Old 04-30-2008, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I personally know someone whose son died of a closed head injury from riding a very small bike on the sidewalk in front of their house. I'm not up on the statistics, but I think of her and her son every time my daughter rides anything. And I can't even imagine her reaction when she sees kids riding without helmets. So my reaction to this is entirely emotional, and I'll admit that, but my daughter has always worn a helmet for anything involving wheels.
#70 of 103 Old 04-30-2008, 12:10 PM

Mine does. Two reasons - the bike can tip and I want that head protection for her and also I want to start the habit now. She loves wearing her helmet and putting it on and taking it off by herself.

I should say that I also wear a helmet and so does my DH whenever we all go out for a family ride, so she's seen us model it.
#71 of 103 Old 04-30-2008, 12:14 PM

she does because she likes to, but I don't think it's necessary. She's never had any kind of fall off her trike where she struck her head. Every head-whacking she's ever had has been in completely other circumstances. If we're going to enforce helmets for trike-riding in the yard, we'd need to enforce them for everything.

Fwiw, my DH is a pretty serious cyclist and firmly on the anti-helmet side of the debate.
#72 of 103 Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 PM

That's the rule at our house. Best to get into the habit.

A bike helmet probably saved my brother from serious brain damage. Someone basically ran him off the road and he was laying there on the side convulsing when the next driver stopped and called an ambulance. There were large chunks missing from his helmet. Those chunks WOULD have been missing from his head....

When my kids are older and then complain about the un-coolness of helmets, we'll be whipping out those bloody pics.

No he wasn't 3, but it's just enforcing the idea that we don't ride without one.
#73 of 103 Old 04-30-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
she does because she likes to, but I don't think it's necessary. She's never had any kind of fall off her trike where she struck her head. Every head-whacking she's ever had has been in completely other circumstances. If we're going to enforce helmets for trike-riding in the yard, we'd need to enforce them for everything.

Fwiw, my DH is a pretty serious cyclist and firmly on the anti-helmet side of the debate.
I'm not familiar with the anti-helmet stance. What is that?
#74 of 103 Old 04-30-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiyama_mama View Post
I'm not familiar with the anti-helmet stance. What is that?
I'd have to ask him for the best links that explain the stance, but for now I give you that font of knowledge and unbiasedness, Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle..._helmet_debate
#75 of 103 Old 05-01-2008, 05:59 PM

Yes. Helmet every time. Our Kettler trike also has a seatbelt option, which we have, too. I can't remember the exact stats, and I haven't read this entire thread, but I remember reading an old study that said that even a fall from 3 feet high or something, going only a few miles an hour, can cause brain damage (even in an adult) if you fall and hit your head on pavement just right.
#76 of 103 Old 05-01-2008, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Information View Post
Is there any place that offers proper helmet sizing and adjustment? My girls wear helmets but they have big noggins and we have trouble getting the proper fit on them.
Not sure where you got yours but DH just took DS for one (he's the reason I posted b/c I was surprised that he wanted one for our DS...I'm not fighting it or anything I was just surprised)
anyway..my DS has a big head and DH got his helmet at Target. It is a 5 year old size and DS will be 3 at the end of June. It has Lightening Mcqueen on it.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#77 of 103 Old 05-01-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
i just cant imagine being "anti safety"...
#78 of 103 Old 05-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'd have to ask him for the best links that explain the stance, but for now I give you that font of knowledge and unbiasedness, Wikipedia.

I read it expecting to find some sort of relevant research, i.e, indicating perhaps that helmets were in fact dangerous to riders. While I wouldn't agree, it would be a perspective I could understand someone supporting.

Instead I see, "It inconveniences me therefore I think i shouldn't have to wear one"
#79 of 103 Old 05-01-2008, 11:25 PM

I thought the torsion argument was compelling. There were also some statistics cited about how many miles you would have to bike in order to encounter an injury-producing situation, how many deaths would theoretically be prevented each year by wearing helmets, etc. It wasn't just about the hair.

Just curious - is your DH against mandatory helmet laws, or helmet use in general?
#80 of 103 Old 05-03-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
i just cant imagine being "anti safety"...
No, neither can we.

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd
is your DH against mandatory helmet laws, or helmet use in general?
We are against mandatory helmet laws (as a general philosophy, we're against any sort of mandatory self-protection type laws for adults).

As far as whether he thinks helmet use in general is appropriate, he says it has to do with the situation at hand. Where you're riding, etc.

I don't have much of an opinion on that, as I've barely been on a bike in the last 10 years.
#81 of 103 Old 05-03-2008, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we start our kids wearing helmets when they are triking (although we are not etrribly consistant with it) not because we are at all scared of head injury but because we want them to have an association of helmetsand bikes from the get go.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#82 of 103 Old 05-03-2008, 11:56 PM

I can't imagine it's terribly likely for a toddler/preschooler to get a serious head injury from falling off a tricycle. They're not going fast, and the distance isn't very far at all. I can totally see requiring helmet use for trike just to get kids in the habit, though. But I think the majority of kids are much more likely to hit their heads falling off a chair or off a climber than off a trike. And I think most would agree that constant helmet-use would be pretty ridiculous.

We took the balance bike route with our kids (instead of trikes or bikes with training wheels), and we definitely required helmets (same as for scooters). They can go really fast on their balance bikes. That said, while they've fallen several times (usually when they take a corner too fast and there's sand on the road), they've never bumped their heads. It's usually a scraped knee/elbow/hand type injury. It's hard to imagine them falling head-first.

So, I would not require helmet-use for trikes for safety reasons. But my 18-month-old wears a helmet even on his little scoot-bike (you know, the kind that's 8 inches off the ground and has four wheels) when he's outside, just because he wants so much to be like his big brothers.

Lex

slightly OT, but I think the anti-helmet argument is also based somewhat in studies about how countries with helmet laws have much lower percentages of people who ride bikes, and much higher percentages of people with obesity, heart disease, etc. So, health-wise, you may save a few heads but sacrifice more lives in the long-term due to helmet laws. We are a helmet-wearing family, but I can understand the argument about the mandatory helmet laws.

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#83 of 103 Old 05-12-2008, 08:29 PM

What a great thread!

I'm embarrassed to admit I initially scoffed at the idea of helmets on toddlers but now I'm convinced it's the right thing to do.

There's just no valid argument against it.

Thanks MDC for helping me keep my DD safe

and
#84 of 103 Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 PM

I understand the idea that you are instilling a good habit, but honestly, none of my kids work helmets on a trike, but once they got mobile on a bike, it became the rule. All three of them put on a helmet automatically whether they are biking or scootering, so ime the idea that you have to do it early to instil a habit is wrong.

Not that it's a bad thing to wear one, but I don't think that training in this way is really necessary. Kids are smart and you can make a rule at any transition period and they will get it. Or at least, all of mine did.

Ds got a helmet this weekend because he has started to actually travel fast on his trike. He's thrilled with it and I see no reason to worry that it won't now become habit to wear it.
#85 of 103 Old 05-13-2008, 07:58 AM

did everyone read the early accounts of kids actually dying when hitting their heads? yeh, it rarely happens but it also rarely happens that i get into a car accident..i still put them in their carseats and make darn sure they are installed correctly.

We bike down to the end of the street and back, pretty much daily. hes 28 months. If he fell off the balance bike, he could hit his head on the pavement. and that could be dangerous w/ just the right fall, at the right angle....im not generally a paranoid person when it comes to safety (other than bikes and cars) but i see no disadvantage to putting a helmet on a kid. just b/c 3 kids made it w/o helmets doesnt mean the 4th will, yk?
#86 of 103 Old 05-13-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd View Post
We live on a quiet street, they're on the sidewalk, they don't go far. I just don't see it as a dangerous situation.
So does my mom. Quiet neighborhood, riding on the sidewalk, not going far. Except when my little sister (then 4) fell off her bike onto the sidewalk. Thank G*d she was wearing her helmet. Here's what the helmet looked like after the fall. Now imagine what her head would have looked like, had she not been wearing the helmet She ended up with a little scratch by her eye and a little bit of a black eye. But it could have been MUCH worse.

DS has, and always will, ride a helmet on a trike, bike, scooter, etc.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#87 of 103 Old 05-13-2008, 10:21 AM

We are in the "start them young category" my daughter got her first helmet at 2 to wear on her trike. Now at almost 4 we just bought her a two-wheeler with training wheels that is further from the ground ia m so glad she is in the habit of wearing a helmet.

A close friend of ours has a little boy who took a nasty spill from a big-wheel, where he flipped over the handle bars, it was a lucky thing he was wearing a helmet. A big wheel is about as close to the ground as you can get but it still would have been bad.

Even if it to just avoid a conk on the head and not a trauma injury they are still well worth it in my book.

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#88 of 103 Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Interesting..thanks! I'm not to keen on laws regulating "safety measures" for adults either. I think we'll keep wearing our helmets though.
#89 of 103 Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 PM

Yes our kids wear helmets. I think its better safe than sorry and I wanted to get them used to getting in the habit. I however, never wear a helmet when we go biking
#90 of 103 Old 05-14-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyLou View Post
Yes our kids wear helmets. I think its better safe than sorry and I wanted to get them used to getting in the habit. I however, never wear a helmet when we go biking
Do as I say, not as I do?

Your head is important too, Mama. We've got to take care of ourselves as part of taking care of our kids.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.

Tags
Strider Prebike Balance Running Bike

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page