Do toddlers wear bike helmets on a tricycle? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 103 Old 05-14-2008, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to say that, because of this thread, I had my ds start wearing a helmet on his big wheel. He had a quite dramatic crash yesterday and as I watched his little head bonk on the sidewalk, I was so glad he had a helmet on. After a few moments of him lying there trying to figure out what happened, he started laughing.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#92 of 103 Old 05-14-2008, 10:56 PM

Mine will. He will hopefully be getting his first tricycle this summer (if I can find one to fit him) and a helmet will accompany it.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#93 of 103 Old 05-15-2008, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyLou View Post
Yes our kids wear helmets. I think its better safe than sorry and I wanted to get them used to getting in the habit. I however, never wear a helmet when we go biking
Nope, I don't wear a helmet either. Nor do I plan on starting now. My DS is ecstatic about wearing his helmet so my not wearing one has not affected his helmet wearing.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#94 of 103 Old 05-15-2008, 11:13 AM

Over any pavement both the kids and adults absolutely wear helmets. When they're just riding on the grass in the back yard, no.
They bring their own helmet to preschool often of their own accord.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#95 of 103 Old 05-15-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
Nope, I don't wear a helmet either. Nor do I plan on starting now. My DS is ecstatic about wearing his helmet so my not wearing one has not affected his helmet wearing.
I'm not surprised that your choice hasn't affected your ds' willingness to wear a helmet yet, but in the longterm, chances are that he will be less likely to wear a helmet due to your modeling. I'm not saying that I think helmets should be mandatory or anything like that, but if your longterm goal is for your LO to be a person who always wears a helmet, then the best thing you can do is to wear a helmet yourself. The same goes for seatbelt use and general health (i.e. exercise, food choices, etc.).

I suffered a relatively minor head injury 4 years ago (my twins were 16 months old), when a swingset that I was swinging on collapsed. I hit the back of my head on a root, and got a concussion. I ended up with Post Concussion Syndrome and felt dizzy, tired, and out-of-it for several weeks. I mostly was confined to my bed, and aside from nursing my toddlers, was unable to parent them for about a month. It was awful. Since then I have been very careful with my head! My kids need my brain to be healthy.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#96 of 103 Old 05-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post

Your head is just as vulnerable to pavement as theirs are
#97 of 103 Old 05-15-2008, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post

Your head is just as vulnerable to pavement as theirs are
Yes, but DS is much more prone to falling off his bike than I am. I've never fallen off. I know that doesn't mean that I won't but it's just not something I worry about.

Lex- I'm sorry about your head injury. I can't imagine how hard that was especially with two nurslings.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#98 of 103 Old 05-15-2008, 03:34 PM

Yep, unless they are riding on the grass they both have helmets on. They don't wear the helmet, they don't ride.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#99 of 103 Old 05-15-2008, 04:53 PM

I'm shocked at how nonchalant some pps are about the possibility, even if slight, of a head injury that could easily be prevented or minimized by simply wearing a helmet. I am not a "safety" freak. DS is 3.5, he has been riding a like-a-bike since 18 months, he has been riding on a bike with me since 12 months, always with a helmet. I don't stop him from expressing his fearlessness, and he is fearless. He now can FLY on his Like-a-bike and he would never think of getting on it without his helmet, and believe me, he has taken many spills and the helmet has saved him more than once.

I crashed on a bicycle two years before ds was born. I was wearing a helmet. My head didn't even take the brunt of the crash and I still suffered a traumatic brain injury and a bleed in my brain. I went through months of therapy and I will never be the same. I would be dead if not for my helmet though. It doesn't take much of a fall to sustain a brain injury, it takes about 5 seconds to put a helmet on your kids' head.
#100 of 103 Old 05-15-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini View Post
I have to say that, because of this thread, I had my ds start wearing a helmet on his big wheel. He had a quite dramatic crash yesterday and as I watched his little head bonk on the sidewalk, I was so glad he had a helmet on. After a few moments of him lying there trying to figure out what happened, he started laughing.
then good came of this thread already!
#101 of 103 Old 08-24-2008, 07:55 PM

I found this thread by accident whilst looking for something else. However, I am relieved that I am not alone in this issue. I am in the UK where there are no helmet laws - even though mant parents and kids wish there were.

My girls are age 3 and 6. One has a bike with training wheels, the youngest has a trike. They both have helmets firmly fastened to their head EVERY time they ride. My eldest was about 4 and was on the trike that my youngest now has when it tipped and she went flying. Her head hit the kerb! That night we bought her a helmet.

She would not now dream of getting on her bike without it and my younger one sees this and wants to be the same anyway. If this was not the case, they would not ride until they accepted that they had to wear them!

In the UK, kids ride bikes without helmets, skate without them and even ride horses without them (although it is the law for under 14 now to wear them riding horses on the road) Many kids do wear them but just as many dont and our injury rates are not good. A child I know is in intensive care right now with severe brain injury from a bike accident and no helmet.

My kids know that I would never dream of riding my horse without a helmet and so there is never any debate about it on their ponies and the same applies to bikes and trikes. Even though other kids dont and the law is not in place, no helmet, no bike riding because as a mum I would not forgive myself!!
#102 of 103 Old 08-24-2008, 08:24 PM

In New Mexico, I believe it's the law that even tricycle riders have to wear helmets. Not sure about other states.
#103 of 103 Old 08-24-2008, 08:33 PM

My dd wears one. My dh's best friend DIED from falling off his bike and hitting his head. Its a no brainer to me.

Tags
Strider Prebike Balance Running Bike

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page