Are you going to ERF? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 82 Old 04-25-2008, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great that you're rfing longer than regular parents. The Swedes have amazing accident stats concerning children simply by following a fairly "boring" strategy regarding car seats. First an infant seat during the first 6-8 months or so. Then a rf seat which lasts until about 4 years of age (our seats are certified up to 55 lbs). After that a booster seat with nice side impact protection until age 10 or so. Easy, simple, and incredibly effective. That's the main reason why very few kids die in traffic each year. If I remember correctly, it's less than 10 annually.

Nice weekend

CarSeat.se - Rear Facing Car Seats ⢠55 lbs Rear Facing Car Seats
Annika: 3.5 years RF Britax Hi-Way ⢠Daniel: 6 years FF Britax Adventure
#62 of 82 Old 04-25-2008, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I only RF #1 and 2 to 20 lbs (about 18 mo because I did not know better.
#3 I had planned to RF to the limit (in a BLVD), but at 2.5, she decided she wanted to be FF to see the DVD player better (she had to bend her neck to see it, she sat right under it), and actually cried and screamed until she vomited EVER TIME she was in the carseat RF. We live at least 1.5 drive from anywhere and often a 3 hour drive to get groc/go shopping so it is an all day trip. After just over a week of this, I gave in and turned her . She was happy and stopped. She was about 25 or so lbs. She is sitting in the center seat in the 2nd row of a suburban, so she is as safe as she can be. I could not drive safely with her screaming and vomiting for hours.

BTW, DD#1 is in a bpb, #2 in a new regent, #3 in her BLVD, and #4 about to move from the snugride to the BLVD, and i do believe in ERF and harnessing and plan to keep the harnessed as long as possible and the baby RF to the limit.

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#63 of 82 Old 04-25-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuredad View Post
Great that you're rfing longer than regular parents. The Swedes have amazing accident stats concerning children simply by following a fairly "boring" strategy regarding car seats. First an infant seat during the first 6-8 months or so. Then a rf seat which lasts until about 4 years of age (our seats are certified up to 55 lbs). After that a booster seat with nice side impact protection until age 10 or so. Easy, simple, and incredibly effective. That's the main reason why very few kids die in traffic each year. If I remember correctly, it's less than 10 annually.

Nice weekend
Are cell-phones allowed while driving? What are the speed limits like there? How many cars are on the road there? What is the overall accident rate like? I know that the awesome car seat laws have a lot to do with the low traffic death rate, but I wonder what other factors are contributing.
#64 of 82 Old 04-28-2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls181 View Post
Are cell-phones allowed while driving? What are the speed limits like there? How many cars are on the road there? What is the overall accident rate like? I know that the awesome car seat laws have a lot to do with the low traffic death rate, but I wonder what other factors are contributing.
I am sure there are other factors, but he's not saying there aren't accidents. In the accidents that do occur, children are hurt less often.

CPST & mom

#65 of 82 Old 04-28-2008, 02:27 AM

DD rearfaced until she was around 18 months (her seat rearfaced until 30 lbs, and that's when she hit 30 lbs). DS2 is currently rearfacing at 31 months and 27 lbs.

I turned DS1 on his first birthday. I didn't know any better, and he was a carseat screamer - turning really helped with that. Had I known about the safety of ERF, I might have tried to keep him rearfacing longer, but I'm not sure.
#66 of 82 Old 04-28-2008, 02:42 AM

Well I knew she was full of bull but during my ds's 3 yr check up I said something about how he only has 3 more pounds to go before I'd have to turn him ffing and my ped looked at me like I had broccoli growing out of my head. She told me that I should turn him around, that it wasn't safe for him to be rfing, and that if I really wanted to keep him rfing she guessed it would be ok as long as his feet weren't touching the seat back I forgive her because she doesn't give us crap about not vaxing and because she actually is very bfing knowledgeable.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#67 of 82 Old 04-28-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Well I knew she was full of bull but during my ds's 3 yr check up I said something about how he only has 3 more pounds to go before I'd have to turn him ffing and my ped looked at me like I had broccoli growing out of my head. She told me that I should turn him around, that it wasn't safe for him to be rfing, and that if I really wanted to keep him rfing she guessed it would be ok as long as his feet weren't touching the seat back I forgive her because she doesn't give us crap about not vaxing and because she actually is very bfing knowledgeable.
thats great that your dr. is good about the vax'ing and the bf'ing but you should take her some literature on the issue (there are brochures you can print out on car-seat.org). its good that YOU know better, but others dont and RF'ing is the safest and best practice for kid up to the limit of their car seat. if she is a good dr., she wont be insulted by receiving more information. there has never been a documented case of broken legs on RF'ing kids in an accident. if she is going to give advice on car seat safety, she should be giving good advice, not bad.
#68 of 82 Old 04-28-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
I am sure there are other factors, but he's not saying there aren't accidents. In the accidents that do occur, children are hurt less often.
I understand that there are accidents. Im just wondering what driving in general is like in a country that has such a low traffic accident death rat.
#69 of 82 Old 04-28-2008, 04:35 PM

I am ERFing my 15 month old, 26lb DS, although I didn't my DD because I didn't know any better. I am tech now though, and I know much better! The biggest reason I hear for parents turning their kids at 1 & 20 is that they didn't know any better, the second biggest reason, from those that DO know better but decide to turn them, is that the child doesn't like it or isn't comfortable and wants to be FFing. I have heard this from people that I love and respect on every other issue, but stubbornly cling to the notion that their child "wants" to be forward facing.

Although, I do see plenty of parents who will turn them around once they know better. I only really push it until 18 months or so at seat checks, after that, when a child has been FFing for 6 months or longer, I seem to run a fine line between parents thinking I am nuts and tossing all of my advice out, and providing real education that they will use. I do add the "your child could still be rear facing at their weight, it is the AAP recomendation that children stay rear facing to the max weight of their seat," line but don't really push it. When you see the 22 lb 2 yo in a backless booster, my first goal is to get that child into a harness, that their child could be rear facing is not on the radar at that point, you know?

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#70 of 82 Old 04-28-2008, 04:49 PM

I intend to ERF, but some of my family has turned their babes early. By early I mean before 1yr/20lbs (illegal in this state). The most common reason for doing it with kids that young seems to be that it's easier to get them in and out. I'm fairly certain they'll think I'm nuts if I end up showing up with a RF 3yo, but I would if she is small enough (unlikely)

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#71 of 82 Old 04-28-2008, 08:08 PM

Yep. DS is 27 pounds and just turned 2 and is short. We will just see how fast he grows those last 8 pounds.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#72 of 82 Old 04-28-2008, 10:24 PM

Yes I will ERF my dd! Why wouldn't you after seeing crash tests and reading all the info?!

A coworker of mine has a son about 14 months old who has already been turned to face front. I showed her the crash test video of front facing verses rear facing and all the facts that says it's safer to RF. She said that she understands it's safer but that her son would be too uncomfortable riding RF with his legs all squished...ya know, in case they go on a long car ride or something Things that make you go hmmmm.....
#73 of 82 Old 04-29-2008, 01:33 PM

We are. My older son is 24 months and 25 pounds. He will stay rear facing until he hits the height limit on the seat (or by the weight limit on the off chance that he gains 10 lbs before he grows three inches.) We plan to ERF our 6 month old as well.
#74 of 82 Old 04-29-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzchen View Post
We are. My older son is 24 months and 25 pounds. He will stay rear facing until he hits the height limit on the seat (or by the weight limit on the off chance that he gains 10 lbs before he grows three inches.) We plan to ERF our 6 month old as well.
What seat do you have? Many seats are outgrown *rf* by weight before height.

-Angela
#75 of 82 Old 04-29-2008, 02:14 PM

I just clicked on this thread randomly wondering what ERF stood for.

We bought the Graco SafeSeat (good up to 30 in. / 32 lbs.) so that we could keep DD rear facing as long as possible (assuming that might get us at least until 12 months compared to smaller buckets, and maybe 16 or even 18 months). I did not know you could get other seats that will accommodate an older toddler rear-facing. Can someone say or PM me what type of seat we should be asking for her 1 year b-day that will work for this? We were planning on asking MIL for a 2-in-1 (toddler to booster seat) like this http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...#prod_prodinfo ... should we be looking for a 3-in-1 instead???

Thanks!!!
#76 of 82 Old 04-29-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
I just clicked on this thread randomly wondering what ERF stood for.

We bought the Graco SafeSeat (good up to 30 in. / 32 lbs.) so that we could keep DD rear facing as long as possible (assuming that might get us at least until 12 months compared to smaller buckets, and maybe 16 or even 18 months). I did not know you could get other seats that will accommodate an older toddler rear-facing. Can someone say or PM me what type of seat we should be asking for her 1 year b-day that will work for this? We were planning on asking MIL for a 2-in-1 (toddler to booster seat) like this http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...#prod_prodinfo ... should we be looking for a 3-in-1 instead???

Thanks!!!
I would look for a convertible carseat instead & worry about the booster much later. There are seats that have tall shells the RF to 35# & then will FF to a higher weight ranging from 50-65#. That could keep your LO in a 5pt harness to age 5 or so. Maybe something like the Evenflo Triumph Advance.

I have a 3-in-1 & like it, but the harness only goes to 40# & the harness slots aren't very high. The one you posted is similar, but doesn't RF.

I hope that helps. I'm sure if you started a thread asking for ERF help & posted a budget & type of car that you'll get lots more help.

I just saw that you're in Canada, that will make a difference. I was posting stats for US seats & things are different in Canada. Make sure you include that info too. There are still some good options up there, just nat as many.
#77 of 82 Old 04-29-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
What seat do you have? Many seats are outgrown *rf* by weight before height.

-Angela
This is true of the taller-shelled seats (Britax, Radia, EFTA) but most others are outgrown by height first

CPST & mom

#78 of 82 Old 04-29-2008, 06:30 PM

Neither a 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 would be a good choice. As the pp mentioned you want a good high weight convertible.

My top choices would be, in order:

britax boulevard
britax marathon
radian

-Angela
#79 of 82 Old 04-30-2008, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
HEY you're here too - Hi!
#80 of 82 Old 05-05-2008, 08:36 PM

Thanks cognito & angela. I know both those Britax seats are available at the baby store I get my cloth dipes from ... I will double check that they have the same (or very similar) weight and height limitations for RF here as they do in the U.S. before choosing.

Wow, I can't believe I've been lurking around the MDC all this time and never come across this before. I saw forward facing at 1 as something of a rite of passage that everyone just did... it never even occurred to me there might be a better, safer way.
#81 of 82 Old 05-05-2008, 10:02 PM

In canada, there are no new seats on the market that rf past 30lbs.

I would also check out the evenflo triumph advance, as it has high top slots and is cheaper than the marathon...however, it does not FF past 48lbs.
#82 of 82 Old 05-06-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
Thanks cognito & angela. I know both those Britax seats are available at the baby store I get my cloth dipes from ... I will double check that they have the same (or very similar) weight and height limitations for RF here as they do in the U.S. before choosing.

Wow, I can't believe I've been lurking around the MDC all this time and never come across this before. I saw forward facing at 1 as something of a rite of passage that everyone just did... it never even occurred to me there might be a better, safer way.
im not in Canada but i thought i saw that some higher RF'ing seats were going to become available in Canada soon.

and alot of parents are like that...b/c thats what they are told by others. Glad you found out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page