When did you move your child from a 5 pt restraint to a booster? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had moved my 5.5yr old to a high backed booster, but I'm thinking we should move her back. She's 43 in. and 38 lbs. I was thinking about getting one of those carseats the goes up to 80 lbs for the 5 point restraint. Then she could use it for the next year until Miss A would star using it.

I'm interested to hear what other people do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 01:34 PM

38 pounds is a little early. Especially given a 2 pound gain could take a year. I moved DS into a booster at 40 pounds, which is what the seats in Canada required at the time. Now there are seats which harness higher so I would have kept him in one a little longer.

But really it's not height or weight only. There's a test you can do to ensure the seatbelt is hitting where it should. That should be the deciding factor in booster vs seat.
#3 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 01:36 PM

My DS was 5, but was a little over 40 lbs. I was so nervous to move him to the booster. I would have kept him in the 5 point longer if he wasn't getting too big for it!!

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#4 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 01:36 PM

In our family kids will remain in a 5pt harness as long as there is a reasonably practical seat that they will fit in that has one.

Just like rf. They rf until they've outgrown rear facing.

They stay in 5pt harnesses until they've outgrown the options.

Right now our plan is to go to a nautilus or regent after dd outgrows her boulevard. She will stay in them until they are outgrown. Hopefully by the time we get ready to buy that new seat though there will be more choices out there.

-Angela
#5 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 01:38 PM

I would keep any child in a 5 point as long as possible.
#6 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
They stay in 5pt harnesses until they've outgrown the options.
How old is your child in the seat right now? There are seats which harness up to 65 pounds. DS is turning 8 in a couple of months and only 46 pounds. There's no way he'd still be in a harnessing seat even though he could be for a few more years. No way would any of his friends' parents be willing to install a carseat every time they wanted to take him swimming or to a movie.
#7 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole lisa View Post
How old is your child in the seat right now? There are seats which harness up to 63 pounds. DS is turning 8 in a couple of months and only 46 pounds. There's no way he'd still be in a harnessing seat even though he could be for a few more years. No way would any of his friends' parents be willing to install a carseat every time they wanted to take him swimming or to a movie.
Dd is almost 4 now. But frankly I don't care what the kids think. It's non-negotiable. If you had a teen who wouldn't be seen wearing a seatbelt, everyone would say that's absurd.

My kids will sit in the safest way in cars - period.

Many 8 yr olds won't fit by height in any harnessing seats even if they still easily fit by weight. Most seats are outgrown by height before weight.

My kids will be rf as long as possible.

My kids will be in 5pt harnesses as long as possible.

My kids will be in high back boosters as long as possible.

My kids will be in boosters as long as appropriate.

My kids will always wear seatbelts.

Period.

I'm not big on rules for most things. But this topic is a non-negotiable in our household.

-Angela
#8 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

I think we might go ahead and get the radian 80 (the one that goes up to 80 lbs and 5'2"). We can just get another when Miss A outgrows her infant seat.
#9 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
I think we might go ahead and get the radian 80 (the one that goes up to 80 lbs and 5'2"). We can just get another when Miss A outgrows her infant seat.
FWIW the radian 80 rarely lasts kids longer than the 65. The straps aren't any higher and most kids outgrow by height not weight.

-Angela
#10 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
FWIW the radian 80 rarely lasts kids longer than the 65. The straps aren't any higher and most kids outgrow by height not weight.

-Angela
Well, DD really wants the pink one. And they only have it in the Radian 80, which I found for only $50 more.
#11 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Well, DD really wants the pink one. And they only have it in the Radian 80, which I found for only $50 more.
Well then, by all means

-Angela
#12 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 02:21 PM

We've not yet and won't till dd outgrows her seat. The entire idea of it scares the crap out of me! Seatbelts just don't seem safe enough.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#13 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole lisa View Post
How old is your child in the seat right now? There are seats which harness up to 65 pounds. DS is turning 8 in a couple of months and only 46 pounds. There's no way he'd still be in a harnessing seat even though he could be for a few more years. No way would any of his friends' parents be willing to install a carseat every time they wanted to take him swimming or to a movie.

Well my ds is 7 and still harnessed in a Regent. We do have a booster for dh's car when needed. For us it's really a non issue. We've discussed safety and he knows what safer. As far as friends well for lots of reasons not just the car seats I'm not oftenn comfortable letting other people drive my kids around, but for those situations we have the booster.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#14 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman'smom View Post
As far as friends well for lots of reasons not just the car seats I'm not oftenn comfortable letting other people drive my kids around, but for those situations we have the booster.
Yeah, I guess you could have both but at turning 8 there's no way he's sit in it and I;m OK with that. For us not having friends drive DS around will kill his social life. He's unschooled and does a lot with his friends and if he couldn't be driven around by other friends he'd miss out on a lot.

ETA: In a couple months he won't legally be required to be in a booster anymore. The fact that's he's willing to keep using one is enough for me.
#15 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 02:31 PM

DD1 was 4. But I am in Canada and we do have a Marathon which is only up to 47lbs (they do go to 65 now, but we bought ours in 2005) and she was about 42lbs and had outgrown the top harness height. I really didn't want to, but since we already had the biggest seat available in Canada at that time, we had little choice. She is now 5, 48" and 53lbs, and she sat in the Marathon yesterday as she was crawling over it to get to her seat (we use it for dd2 now), she is definately way too big for it, even if she could technically still fit by weight if it were to 65lbs.
#16 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 03:00 PM

My son just turned 6 (65lbs) and moved into a Parkway booster on his birthday. He was previously in a Regent and was even with the top slots, talk about a long torso! My youngest is 20 months, 28lbs and rear facing in his Boulevard.
#17 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 03:03 PM

43 lbs.

ETA our high back booster has the EPS foam going all the way up it, which I like. It's called the Ultra Cargo I think. It was cheap compared to the $200+ Britax days and I LOVE it.
#18 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DD1 is 5y, still in a 5 point harness, and will be for some years to come. I do have a Parkway booster that we use very rarely for her. She mainly rides in Regent's, but those seats do not transfer well to other cars, my mom has a Signo that DD1 rides in when she is with her. The booster is used for when my sister drives DD1 or if a friend was giving her a ride. I am not that happy about the booster, and am thinking of keeping the Signo here at my house for when Auntie stops by.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#19 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 03:14 PM

James is 3 years, 32lbs and still in a 5pt harness. His carseat allows him to be in it until 65lbs we'll probably keep in harnessed until then. If we have another baby before his carseat expires (it was mfg in 2006) then we will buy him a Regent so he can remain harnessed depending on his weight. More than likely he'll be pushing 6, but I don't look for him to be over 40lbs by then...I was 43lbs in second grade, DH didn't hit 40lbs until the middle of 1st grade.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#20 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 03:20 PM

My son went to a booster at about 4.5... he was probably about 45 pounds. BUT I really felt like he was all over the place, leaning and moving around. So I bought a Britax Regent and he is going back into that as soon as I can install the freakin thing. Honestly if I had known what a pita it is I would have just bought another Marathon.
#21 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 06:28 PM

My DD is 4 and 38lbs and harnessed in a Regent, an Apex and a Cargo in various cars. When she hits 40lbs and is out of the Cargo by weight, she will be in a high back booster in that car, mainly due to my IL's inability to deal with the 5 point harness. They have struggled with it for 4 years and given FIL's wrist and shoulder injury, I am going to relent in their car once DD weighs 40lbs. It's not an issue yet, but once DD starts riding in other people's cars (other than Grandparents and Daddy that is) I will let her go in a high back booster. In my car and Grandma's (her primary vehicles), she will remain in a harness to the max height or weight of her seats.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#22 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 07:18 PM

Keep in mind seats are outgrown by height before weight the vast majority of the time. Everyone keeps saying 65 pounds, 80 pounds etc but really ery few children will make it that long.

CPST & mom

#23 of 64 Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 PM

My oldest child is 5 yrs 8 months old, 43 lbs - still in a 5-pt harness (Radian premier), and will be until he's either too tall or too heavy for it.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#24 of 64 Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 PM

As I explained to my future in-laws recently- ds will be in a harnessed seat for as long as he can fit in one that I can reasonably afford. No, he will not automatically be moved to a booster once he hits 40 pounds (37 lbs at 4 1/2 years right now). He's in a Regent in my car and a Marathon in future MIL's car. If he needs to ride in a different car, we move one of those seats. When he outgrows the Marathon (by height, not too much longer) we'll get another harnessed seat. We're looking at the Nautilus. It looks like he'll have a few more years of height before he outgrows the harness part.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#25 of 64 Old 05-02-2008, 01:54 PM

We moved DS right around his 4th birthday, because he had reached the top slots on his Apex (yes, the ones behind the headrest ). He's now 4.5, 50 lbs and ~4 ft tall. I guess it wasn't really "moving," we just took out the harness and started using it as a booster.
#26 of 64 Old 05-02-2008, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Keep in mind seats are outgrown by height before weight the vast majority of the time. Everyone keeps saying 65 pounds, 80 pounds etc but really ery few children will make it that long.

The one I was looking at supposedly goes up to 5'2".
#27 of 64 Old 05-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
The one I was looking at supposedly goes up to 5'2".
There is no harnessed seat anywhere in any country that goes to 5'2".
#28 of 64 Old 05-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Merritt Roosevelt, a special-needs seat with a list price of ~$1000, has a stated height limit of 62" and top strap slots of (I think) 22".

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#29 of 64 Old 05-02-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
Merritt Roosevelt, a special-needs seat with a list price of ~$1000, has a stated height limit of 62" and top strap slots of (I think) 22".
Yes, but they can state height limits all day long, but it means nothing if your child outgrows the seat before then in torso.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#30 of 64 Old 05-02-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
Yes, but they can state height limits all day long, but it means nothing if your child outgrows the seat before then in torso.
: to both

CPST & mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page