Do carseats disintegrate on the day of expiration? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 85 Old 06-16-2008, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
well, the LATCH cant be shared but im confused as to whether you have 3 separate LATCH systems in the back of your car. if you do, you should be able to LATCH 3 car seats. but no, you cant borrow.
I have a Dodge Neon with 3 LATCH systems but the user manual clearly says that you should not use more than 2 at the same time.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 85 Old 06-16-2008, 08:58 PM

i'd use it *hides under the table*
i dont think it become unsafe on its expiration date.
i'm sure a lot of people will argue me though.
#63 of 85 Old 06-16-2008, 09:24 PM

Personally, I don't like playing "what-are-the-chances?" with safety for my child.

While I am not sure whether carseats disintegrate after expiration date or not, I prefer to not take the risk.

Of course when it comes to life, one cannot eliminate ALL risks but I'd like to do everything that I can in order to lower those risks. Using an unexpired carseat is one of them.
#64 of 85 Old 06-16-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3babesunder3 View Post
i'd use it *hides under the table*
i dont think it become unsafe on its expiration date.
i'm sure a lot of people will argue me though.
It's just ASTOUNDING to me that a parent would choose to put their child's VERY LIFE at risk over a $40 car seat!!! Go buy a Cosco Scenera for $40, go hit up your friend for her infant bucket, go beg to your local chapter of Safe Kids that you can't afford a new seat, BUT DON'T USE EXPIRED CAR SEATS.

Car crashes are THE leading cause of death. I am sorry, but after spending months arguing with parents about our new booster seat law, I've had about enough of the total disregard for children's safety.

Would we be sitting here debating if your child's life was worth $40 if it was anything other than a car seat? No. It would not be a question. If your stove might explode and kill your children, you would buy a new stove, especially if your electrician told you it was dangerous. If your child's bedroom roof might collapse and your home inspector told you it was dangerous, you would fix it or not let them sleep in there. But if EVERY CAR SEAT TECH AND EVERY CAR SEAT COMPANY AND NHTSA tell you your car seat could fail in a crash, you go ahead and use it because YOU think that it's fine. I don't get it.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#65 of 85 Old 06-16-2008, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm2two View Post
To complicate matters more - I was also told at a carseat safety check that you could not install three carseats across a back seat using the LATCH system. Apparently with the LATCH system each metal loop is designed to tolerate the force of only one seat in a crash. The manual of my car actually says the same thing. We have hondas and subarus....

Not sure if you are using the seat belts to restrain the seat though.
I've had 3 kids in car seats using LATCH for over 2 years in my Sienna's middle row - nowhere in the manual does it say anything about not using all 3 LATCH systems at once. My friend is a CST & helped me install all 3 seats, in fact, I just had her check them out on Friday since I recently turned Ds forward facing.

I LOVE having the three of them all in one row - one's in a Husky, one's in a Regent & Ds is in the middle in a Marathon. Before the Marathon, he was in a bucket.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#66 of 85 Old 06-16-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaha View Post
Isn't an old, expired seat better than none?
An old, expired seat provides a false sense of security. Also, when a restraint fails to work properly, it may present a greater risk, such as strangulation on straps or punctures from breakage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9m9m9 View Post
Britax video - its old, and it shows a seat that is 10+ years old.

Plastic disintegrating - can someone please provide the sceintific evidence? Do you really think they use plastic so cheap its going to distintegrate? The OP likely did not store this seat outside in the elements for the last 5 years so it was in a climate controlled area.
I have never, EVER seen a climate-controlled car storage area. Even if one has a garage, the A/C isn't hooked up there (or if it is, that's because it's been converted to uses other than car storage). Even in large buildings with underground parking, there's only ventilation, not climate control... and no one *always* parks underground.

Cars get very, very hot inside in the summer, in most parts of the world. The interior temperature is often many degrees higher than the air temp outside the car.

As for citing a source, here's an interesting discussion of the different types of plastic out there and what their vulnerabilities are. Although it's not about carseats, it is about safety enclosures, so the same issues are relevant.
#67 of 85 Old 06-16-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soso-lynn View Post
I have a Dodge Neon with 3 LATCH systems but the user manual clearly says that you should not use more than 2 at the same time.
thats interesting, and unfortunate. you would think if there are 3 separate LATCHs you could use each of them. good thing you read your manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
It's just ASTOUNDING to me that a parent would choose to put their child's VERY LIFE at risk over a $40 car seat!!! Go buy a Cosco Scenera for $40, go hit up your friend for her infant bucket, go beg to your local chapter of Safe Kids that you can't afford a new seat, BUT DON'T USE EXPIRED CAR SEATS.

Car crashes are THE leading cause of death. I am sorry, but after spending months arguing with parents about our new booster seat law, I've had about enough of the total disregard for children's safety.

Would we be sitting here debating if your child's life was worth $40 if it was anything other than a car seat? No. It would not be a question. If your stove might explode and kill your children, you would buy a new stove, especially if your electrician told you it was dangerous. If your child's bedroom roof might collapse and your home inspector told you it was dangerous, you would fix it or not let them sleep in there. But if EVERY CAR SEAT TECH AND EVERY CAR SEAT COMPANY AND NHTSA tell you your car seat could fail in a crash, you go ahead and use it because YOU think that it's fine. I don't get it.
i dont know.....its unfortunate..i just don't get why some want to argue to use an expired seat, or that RF;ing isnt safest, or against any of the safest practices...but apparently there are many ppl out there that dont consider it that big of a deal.
#68 of 85 Old 06-17-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post

You know, where my family is from, people rarely use car seats. Often, you're lucky to be in a car with seat belts. Does it mean when we visit we don't ride in cars with the kids? No. I consider it a *huge* privilege to live in a country where people are wealthy enough to have cars with seat belts, various airbags and multiple (in my case) car seats to boot.

Everyone takes risks that are acceptable to them. Provide the info and leave it at that.

Oh, and furthermore, there's this sentiment on this board that the $40 car seat is really a piece of crap compared to a $250 Britax. I've seen it over and over again. I have an Evenflo Triumph V and according to some folks on this site, it's best I chuck it immediately and go out and get a Britax because mine is just not up to par. That, to say the least, is mildly annoying.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#69 of 85 Old 06-17-2008, 03:24 AM

^I've been reading Family Safety for quite some time now and while I do see the Britaxes being recommended often, I really haven't encountered anyone trashing of the Cosco Scenera (the $40 carseat) or any other carseat for that matter.

What I have been seeing are people who state their preferences and don't buy other brands for various reasons such as unsafe practices (not promptly recalling seats or producing unsafe after-market products).

But nowhere in this board do I get the drift that it's Britax or nothing. Even the CPST's here are very accommodating as to helping people find a seat that fits the family's needs and budget.
#70 of 85 Old 06-17-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
Even the CPST's here are very accommodating as to helping people find a seat that fits the family's needs and budget.
The one person who frequently states she would NEVER use an Evenflo or Dorel product is not a tech As a tech I have no such qualms and voice that frequently. I have an Evenflo and a Scenera in my mom's car for my kids and I feel totally safe when they are in those seats

CPST & mom

#71 of 85 Old 06-17-2008, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
The one person who frequently states she would NEVER use an Evenflo or Dorel product is not a tech As a tech I have no such qualms and voice that frequently. I have an Evenflo and a Scenera in my mom's car for my kids and I feel totally safe when they are in those seats
Thanks!

Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#72 of 85 Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
^I've been reading Family Safety for quite some time now and while I do see the Britaxes being recommended often, I really haven't encountered anyone trashing of the Cosco Scenera (the $40 carseat) or any other carseat for that matter.

What I have been seeing are people who state their preferences and don't buy other brands for various reasons such as unsafe practices (not promptly recalling seats or producing unsafe after-market products).

But nowhere in this board do I get the drift that it's Britax or nothing. Even the CPST's here are very accommodating as to helping people find a seat that fits the family's needs and budget.
I am definitely one of those ppl who recommends Britax car seats but i would certainly never recommend any kind of expired seat (including a Britax) over even the cheapest car seat out there. I have my preferences, sure...but I also try to practice, and recommend, safest practices and I don't care if the car seat is plated in gold, an expired car seat in my opinion is a dangerous car seat regardless of the name.

I have seen CPST's recommend the best car seat that fits the car, the child and the family budget...and that is easy for everyone to install (that last part is what gets me to the Britax's every time).
#73 of 85 Old 06-17-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post

Actually, as techs we do NOT recommend one brand over another, except to say that one brand might have models that fit higher weights, or that another model might not fit a kid as long.

Our mantra is the best car seat is one that fits your child's height and weight and is one that you can use correctly every time.

There are carseats on the market in canada in the US today at all price points which fit a variety of children.
#74 of 85 Old 06-17-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
Oh, and furthermore, there's this sentiment on this board that the $40 car seat is really a piece of crap compared to a $250 Britax. I've seen it over and over again. I have an Evenflo Triumph V and according to some folks on this site, it's best I chuck it immediately and go out and get a Britax because mine is just not up to par. That, to say the least, is mildly annoying.
Heh... when I was asking for advice about whether to get a Boulevard for my baby or a Regent/Frontier for my older DS, I got people saying "Get an EFTA" when I had no interest whatsoever in a non-Britax seat ;-). And when people have space concerns, the SK Radian is always the top recommendation. I see a LOT of non-Britax seat recommendations on here!
#75 of 85 Old 06-17-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Nope, I'm not a tech. Yet. I will be in November 2008, though I do and will continue to give people all of the info. that I have on ALL companies- including the info. on Dorel and Evenflo- every time someone asks me for a seat recommendation. And there are several techs that I know of that freqent car-seat.org who share my distrust in Evenflo and Dorel seats and would never put their own kids in seats made by those companies. They will recommend them to others who cannot afford a higher-priced seat, but would not take the chance with their own kids' lives. I know this because they have shared this info. with me in private PMs.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#76 of 85 Old 06-17-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
They will recommend them to others who cannot afford a higher-priced seat, but would not take the chance with their own kids' lives.

#77 of 85 Old 06-17-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Nope, I'm not a tech. Yet. I will be in November 2008, though I do and will continue to give people all of the info. that I have on ALL companies- including the info. on Dorel and Evenflo- every time someone asks me for a seat recommendation. And there are several techs that I know of that freqent car-seat.org who share my distrust in Evenflo and Dorel seats and would never put their own kids in seats made by those companies. They will recommend them to others who cannot afford a higher-priced seat, but would not take the chance with their own kids' lives. I know this because they have shared this info. with me in private PMs.
I'm on car-seat.org too and we've talked alot about how its not helpful to always recommend Britax seats - and they are not always the best choice!...my kids have been in all sorts of different seats and I don't think I've been taking a chance with their lives. Many of the techs (experienced techs) I work with have evenflo/dorel seats and are fine with that.

I absolutely feel that Britax seats are not safer than all other brands' seats - there are some Britax seats that haven't even passed Canada's testing standards! They do have some great seats with great ease-of-use features and that is mostly what you're paying for...
#78 of 85 Old 06-17-2008, 10:26 PM

cancat, i think everyone agrees that one one particular brand is best- britax included. but what i have found (although some techs are reluctant to post it on a public message board) is that some people agree that the ethics of certain companies (ones that continue to manufacture and sell seats that they know have the potential to be dangerous) make it a gamble to use any seat by that manufacturer.

and i think it's okay for techs to recommend seats based on a family's criteria-budget included. but withholding information doesn't seem ethical to me. if someone can only afford a $40 scenera, then fine. but i think people should know about the history of dorel and current issues, like the plastic spikes puncturing the harness on 2007 seats, which dorel won't treat as a recall.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#79 of 85 Old 06-17-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
but i think people should know about the history of dorel and current issues, like the plastic spikes puncturing the harness on 2007 seats, which dorel won't treat as a recall.
Sadly, it's not just 2007 seats Unfortunately we have given out hundreds of these seats to low-income families in the area. Who knows how many of those seats are damaged and the parents aren't even aware.

CPST & mom

#80 of 85 Old 06-17-2008, 10:52 PM

anna, what do you do about the seats with spikes that you've already given out? is there a way for you to contact the recipients and let them know that they may have one of the "bad" seats? i guess you'd have to have something to give them to replace the spikey sceneras in that case, though, huh?

#81 of 85 Old 06-17-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
anna, what do you do about the seats with spikes that you've already given out? is there a way for you to contact the recipients and let them know that they may have one of the "bad" seats? i guess you'd have to have something to give them to replace the spikey sceneras in that case, though, huh?
We still don't know what we are going to do. There are literally hundreds out there. We have huge box of replacement harnesses waiting.

We only realized the problem because one of the techs on our team is using the Scenera RF for her son and has had to replace the harness twice due to damage.

CPST & mom

#82 of 85 Old 06-18-2008, 02:19 AM

About LATCh 3-across: Some vehicles allow it and others don't. Also, the "pairs" of anchors may not be obvious, and it's important not to attach to the wrong "pair" regardless of how many seats you are installing.

For older children (especially 40-80 pounds harnessed), either the vehicle LATCh lower anchors or the carseat LATCh lower connectors may not be usable above a certain weight, and the seat should be installed with the seatbelt instead in that case.

This is an area where it's very important to read the vehicle manual as well as the carseat manual.

In a word: RTFM. That is all.
#83 of 85 Old 06-20-2008, 11:40 PM

I had no idea that the LATCH might have a weight limit! Thanks for the tip - off to RTFM!
#84 of 85 Old 06-21-2008, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
You would be breaking the law (in most states) and putting a child at risk of ejection in a crash situation.

Can you point me in the direction where I can find that law for missouri?
#85 of 85 Old 06-21-2008, 04:20 AM

Quote:
like the plastic spikes puncturing the harness on 2007 seats, which dorel won't treat as a recall.
What is this? I have heard nothing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page