Do carseats disintegrate on the day of expiration? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 85 Old 06-04-2008, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, we just got out our infant seat to see if we could manage to put all 3 kids in the middle row of our car and checked it for recalls/ expiration... and discovered that it expired LAST MONTH. It is a Primo Viaggio, 5 years old and was only used for 6 months before DD outgrew it. It has never been dropped or even set down hard. I was hoping to skip a new infant bucket this time around because I know that we won't be using it for more than a few months.

WWYD?

fizzymom and the clan
#2 of 85 Old 06-04-2008, 02:50 AM

Nope, don't use it. An expired seat is an expired seat, no matter how long ago the date has passed. Here is a great video showing a crash test of an expired Britax seats. Expiration dates are there for a great reason

CPST & mom

#3 of 85 Old 06-04-2008, 02:53 AM

I wouldn't chance it. There could be internal damage that you're not seeing. I would either get a Scenera or Radian and skip the bucket, see if a friend or relative has a safe bucket you can borrow for awhile, or just purchase a new inexpensive one, such as the baby trend flex loc.
#4 of 85 Old 06-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Banned

Don't use it. Expired=not safe.
#5 of 85 Old 06-04-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysmommy2004 View Post
I would either get a Scenera or Radian and skip the bucket, see if a friend or relative has a safe bucket you can borrow for awhile, or just purchase a new inexpensive one, such as the baby trend flex loc.
A convertible just won't work,they are too wide. Even most of the buckets are probably going to be too wide. We bought this bucket because it was one of the narrowest available. DS swam in the first one we had and DD was skinnier that he was.

*sigh* I guess I'm just feeling frustrated and even a bit punished for taking so long to get pregnant this time around. (... apparently I am having some issues.)

fizzymom and the clan
#6 of 85 Old 06-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Banned

Are you doing three across?
#7 of 85 Old 06-04-2008, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Are you doing three across?
Yes, if at all possible.

fizzymom and the clan
#8 of 85 Old 06-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Banned

Ahhh I see.

If you can get a primo viaggio in there, you can get a Radian in there
#9 of 85 Old 06-04-2008, 03:26 PM

Yep, the Radian is the most narrow convertible, so most likely what you'd be moving to after the bucket anyway if you want to keep three across. Plus, the slots are low enough for a newborn to use it.

If you do want a bucket though, the Baby Trend one is one of the most narrow on the market so that might be an option (plus, it's pretty inexpensive). I have a Keyfit 22, which is also pretty narrow, I can get it in the same small spaces I can get my Radian.
#10 of 85 Old 06-04-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Nope, don't use it. An expired seat is an expired seat, no matter how long ago the date has passed. Here is a great video showing a crash test of an expired Britax seats. Expiration dates are there for a great reason
Thanks for that video! I sent it to my family to get the message through better.

Leigh

#11 of 85 Old 06-04-2008, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ahhh I see.

If you can get a primo viaggio in there, you can get a Radian in there
The problem isn't so much the external width, we can work with that. The problem is that my babies are skinny and even in a five-point harness their bottoms slide sideways in most carseats- I don't know if that makes any sense. What I need is an interior that is narrow.

fizzymom and the clan
#12 of 85 Old 06-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Banned

I understand what you are saying . In a correctly tightened harness that shouldn't happen even with the skinniest of skinny babies

However Sunshine Kids' makes a GREAT infant insert that really cradles the baby in the Radian
#13 of 85 Old 06-05-2008, 02:15 AM

Can someone tell me where they post the expiration date on the Britax roundabouts? I have a newborn coming that I thought I would use the seat with but it is at least 4 years old. (Still using it with ds) I want to get a new seat for him but am wondering if I need to get 2 ordered...

Thanks!

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#14 of 85 Old 06-05-2008, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirl View Post
Can someone tell me where they post the expiration date on the Britax roundabouts? I have a newborn coming that I thought I would use the seat with but it is at least 4 years old. (Still using it with ds) I want to get a new seat for him but am wondering if I need to get 2 ordered...

Thanks!
Hi Cheryl The Roundabout label will be in one of two places. The newer models have them on the outer shell of the seat, near the child's left ear. Older versions will be underneath the cover, in the actual seat area. I'm guessing that yours will be the later, since that is where the label is on my 4 yr old Roundabout. It was pretty bad design, since with any sippy cup spills or leaky diapers the label gets wet and the ink runs. One word of caution, though: the Roundabouts (or any Britax convertible, for that manner) is not usually suitable for newborns. For rear-facing, the baby's shoulder must be within an inch of the bottom slot. Most average-sized babies don't fit properly until around 2 months or so.

CPST & mom

#15 of 85 Old 06-05-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying . In a correctly tightened harness that shouldn't happen even with the skinniest of skinny babies

However Sunshine Kids' makes a GREAT infant insert that really cradles the baby in the Radian
Have to agree w/ ThreeBeans. We got the Radian65 for DS when he was about 3mo old b/c we needed to move DD up to her Regent. We also bought the Sunshine Kids infant insert and are still using it for DS and it really cradles him nicely and gets him in the right spot when we put him in his seat.

And if there is ANY concern about external width, let me say that the Radian enabled us to get 3 carseats across the back of our Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2 Regents and the RFin Radian65.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#16 of 85 Old 06-05-2008, 05:52 PM

OP - No! They do not disintegrate. I would use that carseat. Good luck!
#17 of 85 Old 06-05-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
While I would slightly agree if you needed the seat tomorrow for a week or whatever, seeing that your siggie says you're pg, I'm imagining it will be a few weeks before you need it. And if you plan on using it for "a few months" (let's say 4), that would put you about 6 months past the expiration by the time you move your babe into a convertible.

Personally, I would NOT be comfortable w/ that. BUT, as a parent, you need to make that decision. The manufacturers give expiration dates for a reason. There is no way of knowing if the temp changes while being in storage could have affected the plastic or webbing or foam. There's no way of saying for sure your seat could safely restrain your child.

Not to mention the fact that, if you were in an accident, and the seat was installed properly, and the child was properly restrained, but the seat still failed, the manufacturer would have NO responsibility b/c you were using an expired seat.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#18 of 85 Old 06-05-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Check out the video. They DO disintegrate. But not usually until there's sufficient force applied... such as in an accident. Maybe it's still safe the day after, or the month after... but you can't test it.
#19 of 85 Old 06-05-2008, 06:51 PM

The thing with these car seats is that you you feel hustled by the manufacturers. Make a car seat that lasts, damn it. Or make built in car seats an option on new vehicles.

Whatever. Don't take any chances. Get a new seat.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#20 of 85 Old 06-05-2008, 07:30 PM

PP has a 5 yr expiration..sorry. If you were talking like a few days, even weeks past the expiration..but MONTHS? just too big a risk, and not worth it. It's really too bad you have a PV, all the pother infant seats on the market have a 6 yr expiration.

however, you can put a rolled up receiving blanket on either side of the baby to keep the baby planted firmly in the middle of the seat, even in a large convertible seat.
here is a pic of what i am talking about. It is a graco convertible, with a 1 week old newborn in it
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...0_182125AA.jpg

and like a pp said, in a correctly snug 5-pt harness, it really wont matter how thin or small your child is. Even though you migth *feel* better about your child have soft cushy padding around them, in a collsion, its the harness taht is going to keep your child safe. And regardless, as has been pointed out, lots of carseats have special infant inserts these days, which will "cradle" your infant even if they are quite small.

CPST
#21 of 85 Old 06-05-2008, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
You would be breaking the law (in most states) and putting a child at risk of ejection in a crash situation.

It would be *better*, IMO, if they did disintegrate -- then the internal damage and deterioration would be visible. Since they do not disintegrate, people use them or advise other people to use them, and that's dangerous.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#22 of 85 Old 06-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Banned

They may not disappear in a cloud of dust but we know they degrade over time. After X amount of time the seat WILL be completely useless in a car accident.

Some advice is being offered by people who have expressed opinions that are basically counter to everything we know about physics and car accidents, so it should definitely be taken into account that these people may not care particularly about your child's safety.
#23 of 85 Old 06-05-2008, 10:57 PM

[QUOTE=chickabiddy;11401371]You would be breaking the law (in most states) and putting a child at risk of ejection in a crash situation.

QUOTE]

It is NOT against the law to use "expired" carseats. I'd love to see a source, please.
#24 of 85 Old 06-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=vbactivist;11402000
It is NOT against the law to use "expired" carseats. I'd love to see a source, please.[/QUOTE]

Chickabiddy is correct. Many if not most states have a 'proper use' clause. Meaning if you use a seat against the manufacture's recommendations you can be cited and if your child is injured you can be criminally charged.
#25 of 85 Old 06-05-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Chickabiddy is correct. Many if not most states have a 'proper use' clause. Meaning if you use a seat against the manufacture's recommendations you can be cited and if your child is injured you can be criminally charged.

source please.
#26 of 85 Old 06-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Banned

You can google them as easily as I can. If you were really interested in being educated, I would help you out. But I'm not wasting time with someone who just wants to antagonize and offend.
#27 of 85 Old 06-06-2008, 12:21 AM

Why risk it. I would buy a new infant seat and when I am done, sell it on Craigslist. You and I might not buy a used seat, but lots of people do and as long as you know it hasnt been in a crash you can feel fine about it. I sold one there a few months ago.
#28 of 85 Old 06-06-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
You can google them as easily as I can. If you were really interested in being educated, I would help you out. But I'm not wasting time with someone who just wants to antagonize and offend.
I honestly am not trying to antoagnoize anyone. I just truly believe that there is way to much emphasis put on car seat usage these days.

I am stating my personal opinions and experiences, not claiming that certain things are "laws". I googled your statement and did not come up with anything. I have never ead that using an expired carseat is beeaking any law.

NAK
#29 of 85 Old 06-06-2008, 12:28 AM

In states with a proper use clause, it would indeed be breaking the law, like 3B and Chickabiddy said.

For example, here is Washington's proper use clause:

Quote:
The restraint system must be used correctly according to the car seat AND vehicle manufacturer's instructions.
It doesn't say anything about the expiry date directly, but it is addressed in the car seat manual. For example, Dorel seats are stamped on the bottom "DO NOT USE PAST XX/XX/XXXX" so using it past this date would be going against the manufacturer's recommendations and would thus be breaking the law.

CPST & mom

#30 of 85 Old 06-06-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
In states with a proper use clause, it would indeed be breaking the law, like 3B and Chickabiddy said.

For example, here is Washington's proper use clause:

It doesn't say anything about the expiry date directly, but it is addressed in the car seat manual. For example, Dorel seats are stamped on the bottom "DO NOT USE PAST XX/XX/XXXX" so using it past this date would be going against the manufacturer's recommendations and would thus be breaking the law.
Interesting. What if you have a seat that is so old as to not have an expiration date? I am not kidding here, but my friend has a seat that is at least 18 years old, and she still uses it. Also, 2 years ago when they changed the law in my state to say that all children age 8 and under must be in a booster, I called the police dept to ask about it. They said, they would pull someone over just because they saw what looked like a younger child not in a seat, but they may give a ticket for that if they pulled one over for some other violation. The police officer said it really was up to each officers discretion. Has anyone ever been fined/ticketed for using an expired seat, that you know of? I have never once heard of that happening.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page