Old 07-13-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Toddlers are too young for boosters.

-Angela
That doesn't stop people from putting them in it and a "toddler can be a four year old to some people if you want to get into the technicality of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
Yes, but when you realize that most kids need boosters till about age 10, some upwards of 12, she's not old in booster talk.
I know their not too old that was never the question I just never really thought about the safety aspect of it. I was kind of in the mind frame that they were all created equal until reading more and visiting this forum. I decided to put them back into a harness though.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeca View Post
That doesn't stop people from putting them in it and a "toddler can be a four year old to some people if you want to get into the technicality of it.
And IM(educated)O 4 is too young for a booster.

We're talking best-practices here. A 14 mo isn't an "older" child to be rf.

-Angela
Old 07-13-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I know their not too old that was never the question I just never really thought about the safety aspect of it. I was kind of in the mind frame that they were all created equal until reading more and visiting this forum. I decided to put them back into a harness though.
That's great! I was just trying to explain our side of it. I see many people who say 'my child is too old for this' simply b/c of an age, be it rfing, using a harness, using a booster whatever. You mentioned your dd had made mention that none of her friends were in seats still and that can make a parent feel like they are doing something wrong, when really, they are the ones doing the something RIGHT! At 7, I wouldn't worry too much about a harness if she can sit properly in a booster, but I would make sure she had a nice booster w/ some food side impact protection.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 07-13-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
but I would make sure she had a nice booster w/ some food side impact protection.
Like what? Some nice dense bread? Maybe some lightly steamed squash? Or perhaps a springy angel food cake...

-Angela
Old 07-13-2008, 06:56 PM

Angel food cake sounds good...AJ would like anything carb based for his booster.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
And IM(educated)O 4 is too young for a booster.

We're talking best-practices here. A 14 mo isn't an "older" child to be rf.

-Angela
You realize that your implying that those who do put their four year olds in boosters are uneducated right? I'm hoping you mean "educated" in car seat safety.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
You realize that your implying that those who do put their four year olds in boosters are uneducated right? I'm hoping you mean "educated" in car seat safety.
Of course. There are many highly educated parents who are woefully ignorant on carseat safety.

-Angela
Old 07-15-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
but I would make sure she had a nice booster w/ some food side impact protection.
Quote:
Like what? Some nice dense bread? Maybe some lightly steamed squash? Or perhaps a springy angel food cake...
I was thinking she meant like a plexiglass shield to stop flying cream pies...
Old 07-15-2008, 10:17 AM

I would like a shield between the front and back seats to stop the bunny crackers and sippy cups from being tossed at my head, come to think of it. Not to mention the baby dolls, socks and shoes, etc. :
Old 07-15-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Of course. There are many highly educated parents who are woefully ignorant on carseat safety.

-Angela
I have to agree with this since I was once one of "those parents". I have three children. Oldest is 7, 54 inches tall, and 77 lbs. Middle is 40 ish inches tall and 46 lbs. Youngest is 16 months and about 22 lbs. I had the oldest restrained in the low back booster and my youngest in a Marathon. I know that they were restrained to the best of my ability. But my middle child was in a high back booster which was not. On May 14,2008 we were hit by a bus going appox. 35-40mph and she ended up with a broken neck. I know that without the restraint she would have been killed but I just keep thinking that if I had her in a 5-pt harness the movement would have been less and she wouldn't have suffered such a serious injury. I am thankful that she is ok but that day I ordered a Regent and she is now harnessed again. My friend put her son who is similar in size weight wise but taller back in to a Regent and he is 7. I just personally feel that if you can put them in a harness then you should. My friends son is 7 and we just explained why it was safer and he was cool with it. My daughter loves her new seat and I love that she is safer.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
Old 07-15-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

That must have been scary.
We are deciding now between the nautilus and the frontier. The frontier has a higher weight limit which I like but I can't find one locally anywhere to test out the fit. I took them to babiesrus to try out the nautilus and the fit is great they both like it. The regeant is HUGE I'm glad I saw it in person. So frontier or nautilus for us probably the nautilus since they have actually sat in it and tried it out.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:40 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommie View Post
My two kids, 8yrs and 5 yrs were in boosters and I never would have considered moving them to a five point harness either. Then I saw this...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ

Now they're riding in Britax regents and even the 8 yr old likes it and says it's SO comfy. I couldn't imagine having the knowlege in this video, not using it and having something happen and being left with so much regret.
Just my 2 cents.

If you decide to get one, do it at hipmonkey.com and they give the proceeds to Kyle's foundation. http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/ they have boosters there too.
Oy, While I truly feel for this kid and his family, it was not the booster that killed him, it was the seat belt failing... In my van, in my third row, there is no LATCH, so if I had to put a car seat in, I'd have to use the seat belt whether it was a booster seat or a 5 point harness. If the seat belt were to fail, it wouldn't matter what kind of car seat the child was in. The same goes for my DH's car. His car does not have the LATCH either.

PLUS!!! The LATCH is not any safer than a seatbelt, just easier.

I'm not against 5 point harnesses or anything like that, I'm just saying that this kid died because of equipment failure in the car. His sister, sitting right next to him, was in the same booster seat, and walked away with minimal injuries.

Most of my friends have minivans too, and not one that I have carpooled with has LATCH in the third row... If a seatbelt were to fail it wouldn't matter if you had your kid in the $300 britax or the $70 graco turbo booster.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

My van has a latch in the middle seat of the third row. I'm confused about the LATCH now is there anything that says that it is or is not safer, I always thought it was but I'm not very knowledgeable about it I admit.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:50 PM

MommyJoia, while I understand what you're saying, had he been in a 5pt harness, even if he had been ejected, the carseat would've taken a lot of the crash forces. If you talk to Kyle's mom she will tell you there was an almost identical crash to hers that same say or close in time and the little girl was thrown from the car in her 5pt harness. She is still alive today. Granted, getting thrown from a car increases your chance of dying by about 400%, the older and more mature a child's body is, the higher the chance they can survive more traumatic things like that.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
My van has a latch in the middle seat of the third row. I'm confused about the LATCH now is there anything that says that it is or is not safer, I always thought it was but I'm not very knowledgeable about it I admit.
Properly installed seats are equally safe installed with a belt or LATCH according to everything I've seen.

But TOP tethers increase safety substantially.

-Angela
Old 07-15-2008, 10:47 PM

i think the "safety" issue with the LATCH is the ease of use.

i have an SUV and we have LATCH in the 3d row...they do make them.

i agree about the 5 pt. harness...even if a seatbelt installed seat is ejected, the kid is still in something (ideally w/ SIP).
Old 07-15-2008, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Properly installed seats are equally safe installed with a belt or LATCH according to everything I've seen.

But TOP tethers increase safety substantially.

-Angela
What exactly is a top teether?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
What exactly is a top teether?
The top tether is the strap attached to the top of your car seat. If you car is equipped with top tether anchors (it's in the manual), the top tether increases safety of the seat by decreasing head excursion.

Quote:
Top tether

An assembly consisting of a top tether strap, attached at or near the top of a CR, together with a length adjuster and a top tether hook, that is used with either a vehicle belt or lower LATCH attachments for complete installation of a CR in a vehicle. For a forward-facing CR, the top tether keeps it from rotating forward in a frontal crash and significantly decreases head excursion...

As of September 1999, new head excursion requirements in FMVSS 213 made top tether straps, either attached or with attachment instructions, necessary on almost all convertibles, child seats, and combination seats sold in the U.S...

Use only tether anchorage locations specified by the manufacturer. For older CRs, a tether kit, which includes the webbing strap and the means to attach the strap to the CR, may be obtained from the manufacturer.
Source

CPST & mom

Old 07-15-2008, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Yes it has two top teethers but are all carseats equipped to be used with them?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Yes it has two top teethers but are all carseats equipped to be used with them?
Yes, all harnessed car seats that are not expired will have top tethers.

CPST & mom

Old 07-16-2008, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyJoia View Post
Oy, While I truly feel for this kid and his family, it was not the booster that killed him, it was the seat belt failing.
There's some speculation about that. One of the concerns with putting younger children into boosters is that seat belts are designed to be buckled and unbuckled by the wearer. If the wearer is of insufficient maturity to understand that they MUST leave the belt buckled, there's a chance they may release it during travel.

So, it's possible that the belt did not actually fail, but was unbuckled by the child. In which case, a 5-pt. harness would have made all the difference.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread and you all convinced me to put my girls back in harnesses.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread and you all convinced me to put my girls back in harnesses.
yeh!!!!! good for you mama!
Old 07-26-2008, 04:36 PM

good for you for learning!!! I think some parents don't use carseats appropriately because there is so much to learn about them and it's intimidating. I didn't research our first carseat so we ended up using a seat that was poorly installed for the first 6ish months of our daughter's life. Then I learned better and was so grateful that we hadn't been in an accident and we got a seat that fit better in our car.

Don't forget to read your car manual and find out the weight limits for latch in your car. With the Nautilus you might need to do a seatbelt install if you have exceeded the weight limit on the latch when you use it as a harnessed seat. After that you will switch to booster mode and you can use latch to keep the seat in the car.

Like I said... SOOOO much to learn...!
Old 07-26-2008, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes'sBeth View Post
Don't forget to read your car manual and find out the weight limits for latch in your car. With the Nautilus you might need to do a seatbelt install if you have exceeded the weight limit on the latch when you use it as a harnessed seat. After that you will switch to booster mode and you can use latch to keep the seat in the car.
Like I said... SOOOO much to learn...!
The manual doesn't say but I heard it was 40 pounds. It's a honda odyssey. How can I use the latch to keep the booster in the car but not as a harness seat if my child is over 40 pounds?
Old 07-26-2008, 06:06 PM

From what I understand (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) when you use the latch in booster mode, it doesn't add anything to the safety of the seat. The seat belt is still what is protecting the child. Using latch is basically for convenience, so the seat won't tip while dc is trying to get in it, and you don't have to buckle it up when you drive when dc isn't in the car.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Old 07-26-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyJoia View Post
Oy, While I truly feel for this kid and his family, it was not the booster that killed him, it was the seat belt failing... In my van, in my third row, there is no LATCH, so if I had to put a car seat in, I'd have to use the seat belt whether it was a booster seat or a 5 point harness. If the seat belt were to fail, it wouldn't matter what kind of car seat the child was in. The same goes for my DH's car. His car does not have the LATCH either.

PLUS!!! The LATCH is not any safer than a seatbelt, just easier.

I'm not against 5 point harnesses or anything like that, I'm just saying that this kid died because of equipment failure in the car. His sister, sitting right next to him, was in the same booster seat, and walked away with minimal injuries.

Most of my friends have minivans too, and not one that I have carpooled with has LATCH in the third row... If a seatbelt were to fail it wouldn't matter if you had your kid in the $300 britax or the $70 graco turbo booster.
This is wrong. If he had been in a 5point harness seat, the seat would have protected him as it would be ejected from the car with the child within it. If the seatbelt fails, I want my child in a carseat, not a booster!! There's way more protection for them that way. There is also something that happens to kids in boosters called sumbarining or seatbelt syndrome. They slide down just a smidge during an accident and the lap portion of the belt impacts them in such a way as to shear their organs from the inside of thier bodies. Thus a child in a booster who's seat belt does not fail can still be killed by the booster. Kids should stay in a 5 point harness as long as possible, it's the safest thing for them even if the seat is not secured using LATCH.
I moved both of my kids into Regents after learning about the danger of boosters. They're 5 and 8 and are both above the LATCH weight limit. When you use the car belt to secure the seat, you also use the top tether which is a seperate component from the LATCH. Both units, the car's belt and the top tether would have to fail for the child to be ejected in their seat.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Top tethers are good to use, and mandatory with some seats, but they are not designed to keep a seat attached to a vehicle. Don't count on them to do that.

5-point harnesses are the safest. There's no question about that. But properly used boosters for children of an appropriate age, size, and maturity level are safe as well. Kyle David ****** was too young and too small for a booster, and I believe the booster was improperly installed as well. That was tragic. But boosters are not death traps.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.

User Tag List