Crap. His neck falls fwd when he's sleeping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2008, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RF 9 mo old in a Scenera. Can I use one of those neck holder pillows for him? They look like a tiny Boppy. They don't attach to the carseat in any way. Is that ok? What are those called, anyway?

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008, 02:58 PM

Well, I don't know if it's safe, persay. So I guess I'm not much help. But I did use one with my DD. It looks like a c-shaped neck pillow for adults, but tiny, right?
ETA: Just to clarify, I put mine around the top of my dd's head, not her actual neck. I don't know if that's what you mean.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

Old 08-14-2008, 02:59 PM

It actually flops forward, like onto his chest? or does it just flop to the side? If it's to the side, it's not a big deal, you could add a small blanky beside his head. If it's forward onto his chest, I would think his seat isn't reclined enough and I'd recline it more before thinking about adding any pillows.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
Old 08-14-2008, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Well, according to the level thing on the side, the line is parallel to the ground, so it's where it's supposed to be according to the instructions. :

I'll have to look myself when he's asleep again. The kids said his head was falling fwd and his chin covered the buttons on his shirt.

The tiny neck-boppies I've seen go in front of their neck, not around their head. (I can't picture that, somehow.)

ETA: Found a few that work like those adult head rest pillows, but nothing that goes in front. Maybe they don't make them anymore???

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 08-14-2008, 03:52 PM

For now, try to just accept that if he's not complaining then it isn't a problem Meaning, there's no safety risk at 9 months old so long as he doens't have any certain special needs & you're sure the seat is installed/used correctly -- is the harness tight enough such that you cannot pinch a horizontal crease at the shoulder?

If possible, you can submit a photo of the carseat inside the vehicle @ http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.p...t=idea+recline (the creator of that thread will hopefully be able to give you the exact recline angle: should be between 30-45 degrees)

Neck boppies that go in front of the neck can be helpful. They must not interfer at all with the harness & should be able to fly free during a crash. They're soft enough not to be a projectile risk. These are usually marketed for use behind the neck, but that is a big NONO: increases risk of spinal injury. Just use 'em backwards. The problem is that they rarely stay in place, especially for young toddlers.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

I can not pinch anything of the harness. (Made sure of that!) Hmm. Just occurred to me that I should pass that tid-bit on to dh. He'll be buckling the baby, too.

I have no digital cam right now. It fell in the toilet a month ago. : But I will figure something out!

I saw those neck rest pillows at WM. I will consider whether to get one for backwards use. (Who came up with the idea of using it behind a toddler's head? Yikes)

Old 08-14-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
Hmm. Just occurred to me that I should pass that tid-bit on to dh. He'll be buckling the baby, too.
Teehee, it might be my pain meds, but I found this amusing. Thanks

Bummer about the camera I've never owned a digital camera. I can only dream....

Also, forgot to mention earlier that my DD has always prefered a silky or fleece blankey (depending on the weather) bunched up under her chin -- just as easy to slip loose, but she never woke up when that happened & never seemed to care once the ride was over I know *I* wouldn't have liked it, but I guess that's just another way that kids are different
Old 08-14-2008, 06:52 PM

The head will not flop forward if the angle is correct. I would not recommend any add on pillows. I would recommend having the seat checked for correct recline as I know you indicated the level line looks right to you.
Sometimes a different set of eyes is useful. Also be sure that your front seat, seat back (s) are not butting up against the car seat. This can change the angle by pushing the car seat more upright, consequently affecting the recline.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, DC. After we arrived at our hotel I was able to look at the seat. It was not level anymore. It keeps wanting to tilt more upright. Very irritating.

Where can I go to get a car seat tech to fix it? Any hospital? (We're 2mi from one in Temple, TX.)

Old 08-15-2008, 12:26 AM

Here's where you can search for a tech

https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbzap...AFEKIDSCERTSQL

It looks like there are 3 techs at Scott & White Hospital in Temple.

Oh, and don't be afraid to ask for their tech ID or number. Any tech would be happy to show you.

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
Old 08-15-2008, 09:12 AM

Just wanted to add-sorry about the camera! My old one went toilet-diving too but it was assisted by a toddler

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

Old 08-15-2008, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymw View Post
Just wanted to add-sorry about the camera! My old one went toilet-diving too but it was assisted by a toddler
Yeah, dd (6 yrs) was holding ours and I could swear I WATCHED that thing LEAP form her hands. It was nutty.

Becky, thank you! Scott & White is where a friend's mom works, actually! Good to know. We should be able to swing by there later on.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschildren View Post
The head will not flop forward if the angle is correct.
Correct RF angle is anywhere between 30-45 degrees for a 9+ month old (depending on the carseat's manual) & when my DD was a toddler sitting at the 30 degree angle, her head flopped.... I'm a CPST, too, so I know the seat was used correctly. Sometimes it does just happen. But, once we got a larger car & could recline it to the full 45 degrees -- NEVER MORE than 45 -- the situation fixed itself
Old 08-15-2008, 07:02 PM

tristan was doing that in his scenera. we had it for a month or so before i realized the recline just wasnt right. i had to put a noodle under it the other day, and its much better now. have you tried that?

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 08-15-2008, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. I moved my seat up (it HAD been touching the carseat!) and it improved. I'll try a pool noodle if it's an issue again tomorrow morning. (Didn't manage to get to S&W yet.)

Old 08-16-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
Ok, thanks. I moved my seat up (it HAD been touching the carseat!) and it improved. I'll try a pool noodle if it's an issue again tomorrow morning. (Didn't manage to get to S&W yet.)
Great! Try to get it checked by a CPST when you can.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papooses View Post
Correct RF angle is anywhere between 30-45 degrees for a 9+ month old (depending on the carseat's manual) & when my DD was a toddler sitting at the 30 degree angle, her head flopped.... I'm a CPST, too, so I know the seat was used correctly. Sometimes it does just happen. But, once we got a larger car & could recline it to the full 45 degrees -- NEVER MORE than 45 -- the situation fixed itself
What did the recline indicator show on the car seat when it was at 30 degrees?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:24 AM

My DD's head has always flopped forward. Today, at 4 1/2 sleeping her her Regent on the way home her head flopped forward. Drove my MIL nuts, she use to wake her up trying to hold her head back as an infant, it's just how she slept. Now, DS at almost 19 mon. is rear facing at 35 degrees or so, his head never flops. I think it's just how they sleep. But I do second/third/fourth getting your seat checked!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 08-16-2008, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschildren View Post
What did the recline indicator show on the car seat when it was at 30 degrees?
It was accurate "enough". I had that seat in my vehicle during my training when 4 CPST-Is checked it (along with my Husky, which they said was in so well they didn't want to uninstall it ). It was more accurate, though, once I could install it in a better suited vehicle.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papooses View Post
It was accurate "enough". I had that seat in my vehicle during my training when 4 CPST-Is checked it (along with my Husky, which they said was in so well they didn't want to uninstall it ). It was more accurate, though, once I could install it in a better suited vehicle.
I hear what you are saying...heck I have given the 30-45 degree advice in the past. But I am now backing off of that. I no longer give "permission" so to speak, or advice, to anyone to put their rear facing restraint at a more upright angle regardless of the childs age (the only exception being for those parents whose children have medical difficulties...that's another discussion). I will not overrule the manufacturer instructions or recline indicators. Realizing that the recline indicators can be defective or malfunctioning, I also teach parents how to check the recline manually.

User Tag List