#31 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Several answers come to mind:

Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Never ever.

No way.

It's not worth the risk for me. You would be safer putting the toddler in a car with no car seat because then at least if someone else hits you, there's your car between toddler and the road.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#32 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope. No way. Maybe he is a safe driver, but who knows about the other drivers?

I am a safe driver and was still hit head on by another driver. There was nothing I could have done to avoid her, it just happened.

Is the event that important that he can't find a safer way to get into town?
#33 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaketty View Post
That's a great way to think about it. And the answer is no... so, we'll figure something else out. Thanks for the input, guys.

I ride a motorcycle and still can't imagine taking a baby wrapped to me on it. Since my kids are older now, we're thinking of getting a sidecar because the kids might think it's fun. But no way would I consider an infant, legal or not.
#34 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboroson View Post
When I was a toddler, my dad would take me on his bike strapped to his chest with a bungee cord. I think a mei tai is an improvement on that.
#35 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
over my dead body
#36 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 12:39 PM

I just wanted to mention that at 13 months, your toddler's head still very much is large for the muscles in her neck. (This is one reason bicycle carriers are not recommended under a year of age, and the reason rear facing is safer).

With a helmet on, her head will be even heavier, even with the lighter weight DOT helmets (which of course are essential). Going over bumps could cause injury, and a slip or an accident could result in spinal cord damage - this is why it's important to keep the straps tight in a carseat; young children's necks have a very hard time with whiplash. I don't think a mai tai is going to support her neck.

And not to add smarmy advice or anything, if this is really the route to the hospital - in case of, say, head injury or back injury or even vomiting - it's really not in my opinion doable. I think getting the brakes fixed on the van needs to be a priority (easy to say from the outside, I know).

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#37 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Banned

Some (not motor) bike shops will rent bikes and bike trailers for the day. Five miles isn't that far for Daddy to walk or bike himself.

I recently saw the immediate aftermath of a helmetless motorcyclist versus car at 30 mph. It was the car's driver's fault (she was making a U turn and didn't see the motorcycle) but it didn't really matter since the motorcyclist was dead. Count me in the no way in hell camp.
#38 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 01:24 PM

I know you probably have seen all the responses you want to but I figured I couldn't read and not reply.

Umm.. NO way!

I lost an uncle to a motorcycle accident, and he had his 12 yr old son with him. Luckily the son lived because he was behind my uncle. But he will never walk again.

Why not take a bus, bike ride, or even easier! Call a Cab!

Good Luck!

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#39 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthesmilingone View Post

I ride a motorcycle and still can't imagine taking a baby wrapped to me on it. Since my kids are older now, we're thinking of getting a sidecar because the kids might think it's fun. But no way would I consider an infant, legal or not.
Me, too. I'm a biker girl, all my life. But no way would I let my little ones on one unless in a sidecar! My sons were 5 or so before I let them hold on and go for a very slow ride around the (very private and small) block.

IF he got hit, dumped the bike or other tragedy, a 13 month old strapped to his chest has pretty much no chance of escaping.
#40 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 01:32 PM

ACK! NO! I've seen some crappy stuff in my days as a nurse that were the product of motorcycle accidents. Not good. Like really yucky not good. Go with those awesome momma bear instincts that you have and give him the big ole' negatory on that one.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#41 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 01:54 PM

Yeah, have to go with the others here. Worlds of no. I don't care how good/responsible he is - there are way too many other morons out there (drunk/oblivious/whatever) and I've seen far too many car vs motorcycle wrecks to ever want a toddler involved in one.

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#42 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
There's a reason we drop our babies when we're falling, and it's not to put our hands out to save ourselves. A doctor told me this one after I fell and dropped my 4-month-old dd in the process. I was distraught that my instincts hadn't taken over and had me clutching her tight, even as I fell. That's what I felt should have happened. And he said: If I hadn't been able to separate her from me, 150 pounds of me, plus speed and gravity, would have come down on 16 pounds of her. Bad. Bad. Bad.
Uhh that doesn't sound right at all.

I fell when DD2 was about 10 months. There was a hole in the grass at DD1's school that was ankle deep and I stepped in it. (hidden by the grass being even with the hole) As I went down I twisted to the side so that DD would land on top of me. I f'ed up my ankle in the process. The school got a chair with wheels and wheeled me to the car strapped the babe in her seat.. and I drove to DH's work to take me to the doctor. (It was my left ankle.)

I also fell down several stairs when my youngest was a few months old again I rolled so he would land on top.

OP, I would not be comfortable with that at all. But it could be worse, my brother remembers his dad stuffing him in the saddle bags (fiberglass ones) of his motorcycle to take him to the babysitter. (5 blocks) He couldn't have been more than a year old since my mom divorced him before my bro was 2.
#43 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 02:05 PM

My mom-instinct would be screaming no, but...

I rode on the motorcycle with my dad from the time I was a toddler. I still ride with him when I visit.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#44 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 02:06 PM

At what age is it considered safe(er) to have a child on the back of a motorcycle or scooter ... assuming a safe experienced driver, daylight hours, no alcohol involved, not highway driving, etc?

Any link to statistics?
#45 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 02:31 PM

NO WAY.

It's not about your dh being a safe driver, it's about who else might happen to be out on the road that day .. you just never know, and it's a huge risk.

A few months ago my uncle was sideswiped by a drunk driver. It was 7am! And on a rural, rarely used road. You never know who is going to be out on those roads, and 13 months old? So much could happen with just the slightest fall off that motorcycle.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#46 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 02:51 PM

Never.

I'm sure you don't want to think about what would happen to your child if they fell off the bike while it was moving, but maybe your dh should.

Motorcycles are called "donor mobiles" by transplant teams.

ETA: Good for you!! Just saw your follow-up.
#47 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 02:58 PM

Another "no".

I didn't even know DOT helmets came in toddler size, though. DS is almost 7 and takes a child's medium, DS is 9 and wears a child's large. I can't imagine a 13 month old able to safely wear any motorcycle helmet (so heavy and big).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post
At what age is it considered safe(er) to have a child on the back of a motorcycle or scooter ... assuming a safe experienced driver, daylight hours, no alcohol involved, not highway driving, etc?

Any link to statistics?
No statistics. Both my kids have ridden a couple times on the back of DP's cycle. Long pants & shirts, sweatshirts, boots and full face helmets. That was to go around the neighborhoood Before they can go out of the neighborhood DP wants them to have full gear (pants, jacket, gloves).

#48 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
There's a reason we drop our babies when we're falling, and it's not to put our hands out to save ourselves. A doctor told me this one after I fell and dropped my 4-month-old dd in the process. I was distraught that my instincts hadn't taken over and had me clutching her tight, even as I fell. That's what I felt should have happened. And he said: If I hadn't been able to separate her from me, 150 pounds of me, plus speed and gravity, would have come down on 16 pounds of her. Bad. Bad. Bad.
Really? I've never heard of this. I'm extremely klutzy and have fallen a TON while holding my kids. Even fell down stairs. I've never dropped them. I've screwed up ankles, wrists, tons of blood etc all from protecting my kids in falls. Dh even fell out of his big truck while holding our DD (when she was a baby) and he got pretty banged up but he held onto and protected her.

Dh even has a video of me falling while babywearing, its pretty hysterical. (All parties were uninjured)

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#49 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 03:22 PM

No. That really doesn't seem like a safe set up to risk even if it isn't illegal.

If there was a accident I'd think the child would have little chance of avoiding serious injury or death even with a helmet. I would think being strapped to a heavy adult body would be seriously dangerous.

If you can't have dp drop you off and use your car that day or get the van brakes fixed or get child care for the event then I think Dad should miss the event.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#50 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 05:05 PM

Being ejected from a vehicle = 4 times the risk of death Being ejected from a motorcycle is obviously much more likely than being ejected from a car.... It might also be illegal in some states.

My kid's dad would be sleeping on the porch for even asking in the 1st place.
#51 of 60 Old 08-16-2008, 01:12 AM

No, never, not ever, wouldn't even entertain the thought.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#52 of 60 Old 08-16-2008, 02:33 AM

No way on God's green Earth.

I would do anything other than that - skip the event, ask a friend, call a taxi, walk... Anything besides strap a baby to my body and go driving down the road with nothing but hope and a helmet for protection from the asphalt.

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
#53 of 60 Old 08-16-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post

Any link to statistics?
There aren't any statistics re: kids on motorcycles that I can find. The standard answer is simply that motorcycles aren't really safe to begin with so no one who is too young to be driving it should be on it.

Here's a helpful Motocycle Safety resource > http://www.trafficsafety.org/worklif...ycle/main.html

Quote:
Motorcycles are the most dangerous type of motor vehicle to drive.

Motorcyclists were 35 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash * in 2006, per vehicle mile traveled, and 8 times more likely to be injured.

Although motorcycles account for only 2% of vehicles on the road, they make up more than 10% of all crashes.
That being said, as a grown adult I might enjoy a ride once in a while assuming the bike is properly cared for & with a skilled, defensive driver.... I would never allow my child to ride *at least* until she were old enough to begin learning the proper care & safe driving skills herself. Even then, it would be extremely rare & well monitored.

* car crashes are the leading cause of death for kids to begin with
#54 of 60 Old 08-16-2008, 02:51 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Not.Ever.
One day DH asked me if he could ride 2.5 yo DS around on the ATV in the yard. With a helmet. At 5 mph. And obviously no other traffic. But I said no.
Call me a worry wort but if I wouldn't let him do that there's no way in hell I'd let DH ride him on the motorcycle.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#55 of 60 Old 08-16-2008, 03:19 PM

while I am aware that OP has decided against this, I just wanted to chime in that all the baby carriers/mei tais/slings I have bought come with safety disclaimers stating to NEVER wear your baby in a moving motor vehicle. I think that would include a motor cycle.

and, no, I would not allow it.
#56 of 60 Old 08-16-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyJoia View Post
I just wanted to chime in that all the baby carriers/mei tais/slings I have bought come with safety disclaimers stating to NEVER wear your baby in a moving motor vehicle.
That is good to know & yes I would say a motorcycle counts
#57 of 60 Old 08-17-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaketty View Post
That's a great way to think about it. And the answer is no... so, we'll figure something else out. Thanks for the input, guys.
Glad to hear it. ;-)

If he was online right now, I'd ask a friend of mine who uses a motorcyle as his main transportation and has been in a bad motorcycle accident (sideswiped by a pickup that didn't see them). He also is "uncle" to his girlfriend's toddler, and isn't going to Burning Man because he can't find a way to ride a (non-motor) bike on the playa with the LO in tow that meets with his approval for convenience and safety.

*Before* he was in the accident, he took a motorcycle driver's course, got the special M-class driver license, and wouldn't dream of going anywhere without not just his helmet, but also jeans and a leather jacket. I heard him speak quite disdainfully of folks riding down the highway in shorts and a t-shirt. Since almost losing his leg (massive compound fracture, four months until he could get out of a wheelchair... doctor looked at the x-rays the next day and said "Wow, great work! Usually with that much tissue damage, they just amputate!"), he wears body armor every time he rides. Doesn't matter if it's 90 degrees out; he gets fully suited up.

They don't make body armor in size 12-18 months, I'm guessing. I can't see him taking little V out on the motorcycle (though I bet... ok, I hope... it's illegal here in Cali).
#58 of 60 Old 08-17-2008, 12:59 PM

I have an acquaintance who has his motorcycle rigged specifically to accomodate his 5 year old. Special supports BEHIND him, set of handlebars for the kid BEHIND him, and an attachment sort of contraption that keeps the kid from tipping off. Kid has his own leather and helmet. Even with this, he only rides on the military base (where the speed limit is (no kidding) 15mph.

Not something I would do, but I guess there are ways to "accomodate" kids somewhat more safely on motorcycles....

#59 of 60 Old 08-17-2008, 01:26 PM

I can't imagine it here in my town. But up in a small town North of the valley, parents do it all the time. Especially on Quads.

SO. Honestly? I think it depends on what the roads are like, and how fast he plans to drive.

I couldn't be comfortable with it. But, maybe if I lived where you live, I might think it's safe.
#60 of 60 Old 08-18-2008, 02:44 AM

When I was a baby my dad rode me around in his motorcycle... I was in a canvas army backpack on his back! :

And to answer the OP's question, no freaking way!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page