In the event of a missle attack - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Would you put more kids in the car than were safely restrained in the event of a missle attack?
Yes, for sure 132 90.41%
nope, I'd find shelter and listen to the BOOMs 1 0.68%
Obviously not having heard the BOOM and seen the terror on my child's face I can't say 9 6.16%
Other, there's always an other 4 2.74%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 08-25-2008, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
Missile attack, yes; Big Mac attack, no.
:

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#32 of 46 Old 08-25-2008, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Here are listings for used Kia Carnivals (in N. America is it called Sedona) in Israel: http://www.yad2.co.il/Cars/Car.php?A...romHand=&Hand=

Notice the year on them. (a 2001= 60,000 shekel)

The shekel is about 3.4 times the dollar.

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#33 of 46 Old 08-25-2008, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
:
Wow, is it fun to mock a serious thread?

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#34 of 46 Old 08-25-2008, 07:50 PM

We understand price constraints, trust us, most of us are there! Our concern is that one time you or DH want to take everyone somewhere and you just can't b/c there's not enough room, but you choose to anyway. I know nothing of the car market in Israel, but I know we bought our van brand new (Dodge) for $16K. I found Kia to be one of the more expensive brands when we were van shopping, but again, I don't know what you have available there.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#35 of 46 Old 08-25-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
Our concern is that one time you or DH want to take everyone somewhere and you just can't b/c there's not enough room, but you choose to anyway.
Excuse you. I said I'm not choosing to anyway.
Who is the "our"? Is that like the "royal we"??
Is there a secret forum discussing me? :
Are they starting a fundraising drive?
Thank you for your "concern". As I said, it is much more expensive to get a minivan. If you doubt me go look for yourself. I gave you the link.

#36 of 46 Old 08-25-2008, 08:11 PM

Man, if I was being bombed, I would cram everyone I could into whatever freakin' vehicle I had and get #@*& out.

BB
#37 of 46 Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 PM

I'm sorry you're obviously feeling attacked, some of us are trying to give other options that may help you. I just gave what we paid for our van and said I didn't know what your options were, I'm just assuming there are more options than Kia. I have never been in your shoes, I'm not pretending to have been or to even know what I would do, I'll stop talking now.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#38 of 46 Old 08-25-2008, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll stop talking now.
Since you're not responding to the actual content of the thread that's probably a good idea.

#39 of 46 Old 08-25-2008, 09:07 PM

sorry...sadly, i didnt realize she wasnt in the US.
*blushes*

CPST
#40 of 46 Old 08-25-2008, 09:17 PM

Missile attack/any sort of attack? Carseats and seatbelts would be the last thing on my mind!

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#41 of 46 Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
We understand price constraints, trust us, most of us are there! Our concern is that one time you or DH want to take everyone somewhere and you just can't b/c there's not enough room, but you choose to anyway. I know nothing of the car market in Israel, but I know we bought our van brand new (Dodge) for $16K. I found Kia to be one of the more expensive brands when we were van shopping, but again, I don't know what you have available there.
that's an interseting statement considering what the OP said. especially considering that if they don't already own a car, they probably know how to get where they want to get *without* one, even if it requires taking the whole family.
Quote:
Its mostly for his daily use because of his disability. So, because of cost it will have to be a 5 seater. He would probably take the bigger kids with him places and while the kids are in school we'd probably use it with the baby. But I wanted to just make clear with him that we would never, ever put 4 kids in the back seat in regular circumstances.
additionally, if DH is in an electric wheelchair, the biggest vehicle they could get would still only have FIVE (ok, actually four, but space for a wheelchair to park) seats.

******and now I see that in the time it took me to write this it was already reponded to, sorry to beat a dead horse.
#42 of 46 Old 08-26-2008, 07:10 AM

Totally off-topic, I know, but can't help myself. We bought a used 2001 Kia Caravan when we got here in 2006 ... with dollars, actually (back when people actually liked getting dollars ... it was something like 4.5 shekel to the dollar then) for $16,000.

A new car here is at least double, if not triple, the price of that same new car in the US. And the cost of gas here is also more than double the cost there. So it's kind of not helpful to speculate on it with US prices in mind ...

We're moving tomorrow. I'll go back to packing now.

#43 of 46 Old 08-26-2008, 08:09 AM

Actually, given the miniscule number of actual deaths by missle attacks in Northern Israel in the last war, versus the number of deaths due to car crashes every single day in Israel, I'm not sure your considerations are rational. I'll see if I can look up the statistics...

During the war two summers ago, we were evacuated from Hadera after 3 missle attacks on our camp (DH was director) and got 500 campers and counsellors organized onto buses within a few hours. The only time my kids ever rode a bus on Sabbath -- it made a big impression.
#44 of 46 Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookMommy! View Post
Actually, given the miniscule number of actual deaths by missle attacks in Northern Israel in the last war, versus the number of deaths due to car crashes every single day in Israel, I'm not sure your considerations are rational. I'll see if I can look up the statistics...
She's not comparing the two the same way that you are. She's comparing the odds of dying in a missile attack when misses are being lobbed in her neighborhood, vs. dying in a car crash leaving when missiles are being lobbed into her neighborhood. Very different numbers and very different circumstances than "of all the Israeli in all the nation".
#45 of 46 Old 08-26-2008, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookMommy! View Post
I'm quite sure that death wasn't our only cheshbon. In the barrage that almost hit us one man died 2 blocks from my house and a little further away an entire family was sent to the hospital one child in a coma. You have no idea.
Your post was ridiculous considering the reality of what happens when actual katyushas are actually touching down all around you. .

#46 of 46 Old 08-27-2008, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedBird View Post
I'm quite sure that death wasn't our only cheshbon. In the barrage that almost hit us one man died 2 blocks from my house and a little further away an entire family was sent to the hospital one child in a coma. You have no idea.
Your post was ridiculous considering the reality of what happens when actual katyushas are actually touching down all around you. .

I can't even imagine living in a place where yo have to worry about missiles! So scary. I wish you well, I hope your neighborhood stays safe and you don't have to actually use this scenario.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page