In the event of a missle attack - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you put more kids in the car than were safely restrained in the event of a missle attack?
Yes, for sure 132 90.41%
nope, I'd find shelter and listen to the BOOMs 1 0.68%
Obviously not having heard the BOOM and seen the terror on my child's face I can't say 9 6.16%
Other, there's always an other 4 2.74%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2008, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
would you put more of your children in your car than were safely restrained? IE: You have a 5 seater which in normal circumstances you only put 5 people in, all properly restrained (lap/ shoulder belt, boosters, car seats), if missles started falling and you wanted to get somewhere safer would you put 6 people in the car? Lets say you "double belt" 2 kids who don't need boosters (over 9 yr./ 90 lbs.)?

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedBird View Post
would you put more of your children in your car than were safely restrained? IE: You have a 5 seater which in normal circumstances you only put 5 people in, all properly restrained (lap/ shoulder belt, boosters, car seats), if missles started falling and you wanted to get somewhere safer would you put 6 people in the car? Lets say you "double belt" 2 kids who don't need boosters (over 9 yr./ 90 lbs.)?
Yup, I would.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Missile attack, yes; Big Mac attack, no.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Now, just to let you all know where this topic came from. We are g-d willing returning home soon. Dh would like to get a car when we go home. Its mostly for his daily use because of his disability. So, because of cost it will have to be a 5 seater. He would probably take the bigger kids with him places and while the kids are in school we'd probably use it with the baby. But I wanted to just make clear with him that we would never, ever put 4 kids in the back seat in regukar circumstances. Of course when we made that agreeement we had to add the caveat of unless missles were falling or something. During the war in Northern Israel a katyusha missle from the second barage landed 10 feet from our front door. After listening to a few more barrages and attempting to stay in the bomb shelter with no running water and no toilets for a few hours we ordered a (very expensive) taxi for the 5 of us and another for 4 of Dh's students and left to Jerusalem. Yeah, I sat in the back with 3 kids, and we did not spend time buckling up before taking off.
Anyway, so I was curious what others think they would do.

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
Old 08-22-2008, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
Missile attack, yes; Big Mac attack, no.
HUH?

Old 08-22-2008, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
In the case of any emergency that requires evacuation I would not hesitate to have more people in the car than belts. In that case the risk of NOT leaving outweighs the risk of having unrestrained passengers.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 08-22-2008, 01:52 AM

I voted 'haven't heard the BOOM, don't know'. I think it depends on what's going on. I don't object to getting the hell out, despite insufficient car seats.

We emigrated from N. Ireland when I was an infant, but I'm sure my parents thought about this a lot. If you gotta go, get flippin' gone.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:09 AM

Quote:
HUH?
I think she just meant that she would only do it under extreme conditions.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
In the case of any emergency that requires evacuation I would not hesitate to have more people in the car than belts. In that case the risk of NOT leaving outweighs the risk of having unrestrained passengers.
:

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 08-22-2008, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
I think she just meant that she would only do it under extreme conditions.
Yes, that's it. I consider having unrestrained passengers extremely dangerous, but if what we were fleeing was even more dangerous, I would choose the less dangerous option.

The question was also "more of your kids in your car than could be safely restrained". I'm a pretty big believer in never say never, but I cannot imagine that I would ever have more children than I could safely transport.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:52 AM

I would not hesitate to pile as many people in the car as possible to evacuate in an emergency where the risk of staying outweighs the risk of having that many in the car unrestrained.

Hopefully it will never happen.. although if missiles fall here, due to our proximity to major ametro area and one having already been a target.. and to nuclear power plants.. any missiles that fell would probably be nuclear and then the whole thing would be a moot point
Old 08-22-2008, 11:38 AM

Yes. It's a circumstance where you weight the risks and benefits. The risk is much bigger for staying.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:46 PM

Hubby and I have had this conversation. We decided we'd take everyone we could, including our elderly neighbors. We have a mini-van so in the worst case scenario we'd pull out all the seats and stuff it silly.

Mama of three.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
:

I pray that nobody ever needs to make this kind of choice again!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 08-23-2008, 05:09 AM

I would stuff everyone I could into that car, and I wouldn't even think about buckling, put the kids in, all the necessities I could stuff in, and get out of there faster than you can say go. Frankly, at that point a bomb seems to be your biggest issue, and, honestly, I'm not thinking a seatbelt would help you there.

edit:
Quote:

a)I would toss the carseats for the space - then stuff everyone I could fit into the car, friends, neighbors, elderly person from the church, strangers infant???

b)it would actually be safer to put the bigger kids in the seats, with the little ones on adult laps - buckle the adults in, then put LO on their laps and lock wrists together. The force of having two people in one carseat is more deadly to the smaller person as now only their own weight, but that of the larger person is thrust onto their immature organs, causing more severe internal damage than may have been inflicted by not being buckled at all. (but first see c))

c)if you are really worried about this happening, could you get something like this: http://www.babyearth.com/baby-air-flight-vest.html it's not meant for driving, but it would help contain when you are already in a high-stress, low-safety situation
Old 08-23-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Now, just to let you all know where this topic came from. We are g-d willing returning home soon. Dh would like to get a car when we go home. Its mostly for his daily use because of his disability. So, because of cost it will have to be a 5 seater. He would probably take the bigger kids with him places and while the kids are in school we'd probably use it with the baby. But I wanted to just make clear with him that we would never, ever put 4 kids in the back seat in regukar circumstances. Of course when we made that agreeement we had to add the caveat of unless missles were falling or something. During the war in Northern Israel a katyusha missle from the second barage landed 10 feet from our front door. After listening to a few more barrages and attempting to stay in the bomb shelter with no running water and no toilets for a few hours we ordered a (very expensive) taxi for the 5 of us and another for 4 of Dh's students and left to Jerusalem. Yeah, I sat in the back with 3 kids, and we did not spend time buckling up before taking off.
Anyway, so I was curious what others think they would do.
i remember when that happened mama. my sister was also close to bombs except she was in north lebanon - her children were terrified as any child would be. it was a very scary time for everyone. thankfully she is now here in australia.

yes i would not hesitate to have more people than seatbelts. funny enough, i was thinking of this last night and it came out of nowhere (since i live in australia and currently have no reason to fear missiles falling from the sky), so how odd to have seen this thread today.

here's to a safe and happy return for you and your family.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:55 AM

If a missle hit small town Ohio where I live, I'd be stuffing as many people in the car as possible--all of my family, the elderly neighbors, etc. and getting them to safety. I would not really worry about carseats at that point because I'd be getting the heck out of dodge. I doubt I'd even want to waste time with the seatbelts because I'd want to get as many people as I could to a safer place (albiet, I have no idea where that would be--it's not one of those things that people think about in Ohio, thank heavens).

I'm pretty sure when things like that happens, anything you do in the spur of the moment to get your family safe is a good choice...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 08-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Banned

I only have to go 1/3 mile to the closest bomb/fallout shelter, so yeah.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I put other, because I'm not sure what I would do. I already live very rurally and we would be an unlikely target. However if we still lived in Detroit, where everyone was reasonably terrified after 911 because it was home of the 'big three' auto makers, I probably would, and head for where I am now. I am 35 miles from the nearest major freeway, and a little more than 20 from a smaller freeway. I feel pretty safe here. We are only one mile from the nearest true bomb shelter if for some reason we were bombed, but I honestly can't imagine why someone would bomb our area. The major industry here is agricultural, veggies & fruit farms, dairy and meat, packaging and cold storage plants, and Gerber foods is about 15 miles away. Civilians would have to be the target, and we are very sparsely populated, so why would they pick us? Am I being naive?

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
Old 08-23-2008, 12:25 PM

I'm not sure what I'd do, in the sense that from where I live I'm not positive that moving would be a safer choice than staying put in my particular area (e.g. I'm in the middle of a big city, if they're falling here they're almost certainly falling on the roads I'd take to safety), but yes, if I knew a safer place I wouldn't hesitate to take DS and as many neighbors as I could squeeze in.

I have forgone carseats in a situation where I felt it was a safest choice. When my DS was not quite 2 we went for a trip on the subway. I didn't bring a carseat or a stroller. While we were out he was running up and down a wheelchair ramp, fell, hit his head, went completely rigid and passed out. I called the pediatrician who said it was either a breathholding spell or a seizure and to get to an E.R. right away so we did. 6 hours later (about 1 a.m.) they released us. Thankfully it was a breatholding spell. By that point I was throwing up from the stress (it's just what I do when I'm stressed), and DS was in crazy, overtired, hyper toddler mode.

We lived in a neighborhood that got quite unsafe at night, and where I tried very hard to never come home after dark. My choices were to walk in the hospital's (not great) neighborhood with my arms full of flailing toddler, and then stand on a dark platform likely full of drunk people (the hospital is attached to a university, so plenty of students), throwing up (and making the ground around me slippery) while DS threw his weight around in my arms, and trying not to literally fall off the platform. And then to walk home an pray I didn't get mugged. Or to put him in a seatbelt beside me in a taxi and drive home (maybe 3 miles) fast. I chose the latter.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:33 AM

In the event of a missile attack ... I'd leave out the car seats. You might even be able to fit in an elderly neighbor or a someone without a car if you don't put in the car seats.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:17 PM

If it was clear that leaving was the best and safest thing, and that we would be in danger by staying, then heck yeah. I'd be cramming people into the hatchback, to get them away as fast as I could.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 08-24-2008, 11:39 PM

Yeup, and I'd drive way faster than the legal speed limit, too.

I just have to throw this in here...

I was traveling once and looked up the seat belt laws for all the states I was traveling through and discovered that in the state of West Virginia, your children only have to be in seat belts "if there are enough available seats". So, basically, if you stuff your car like a clown car, and there aren't any more seats, it's perfectly acceptable for your kids to ride on someone's lap, etc. I just found that so bizarre.

But, I suppose the point in all this is that safe is relative. I would do all sorts of things I wouldn't normally choose to do in light of danger. Most people do.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Old 08-25-2008, 04:06 PM

I voted "yes, for sure". And I wouldn't even think twice about it in this situation.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
Old 08-25-2008, 07:34 PM

I've never been in that situation and pray I never have to be, but do you really want to try and outrun a missle? I guess if you knew an attack was definitely going to happen, that's different. Again, I'm sheltered and never had to go through that so I don't know.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
I've never been in that situation and pray I never have to be, but do you really want to try and outrun a missle? I guess if you knew an attack was definitely going to happen, that's different. Again, I'm sheltered and never had to go through that so I don't know.
I guess you just don't understand. We weren't trying to outrun a specific missle. we were just getting away from a constant barrage of missles hitting our area (it continued for over 5 week), after we were very nearly hit by one.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
So, because of cost it will have to be a 5 seater. He would probably take the bigger kids with him places and while the kids are in school we'd probably use it with the baby. But I wanted to just make clear with him that we would never, ever do.

This confuses me, as used minivans (other than the big name ones) have such low resale values for the most part that you can almost always find used minivans for less than used cars??? Just look in any paper....you can get cheapo minivans all the time...

CPST
Old 08-25-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
This confuses me, as used minivans (other than the big name ones) have such low resale values for the most part that you can almost always find used minivans for less than used cars??? Just look in any paper....you can get cheapo minivans all the time...
Not. See for yourself: http://www.yad2.co.il/Cars/Car.php
Anyway, at 10$ a gallon the gas cost of a bigger car makes it much more expensive to drive.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
But it might be different in Israel. She's not exactly worried about outrunning missles in NYC.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 08-25-2008, 08:17 PM

We were looking at used cars, and I couldn't find a used minivan cheaper than a car either.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

User Tag List